Homecoming!

Nov 25, 2011
No lies HC hit me out of the blue....forecast is 40 high...was thinking about a grill out...or hog cook...but just not sure of turnout....definitely no trolley but was thinking about a 15 passenger van...

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
No lies HC hit me out of the blue....forecast is 40 high...was thinking about a grill out...or hog cook...but just not sure of turnout....definitely no trolley but was thinking about a 15 passenger van...

That totally snuck up on me. I say we do it up big at the Bean. What's the plan Jeff?

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Nov 25, 2011
Looking over last year...we will special you til you are blue in the face..but no trolley...no Peppas..saving it for the uofr away game

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
It's really difficult to do an all-out homecoming at a non-football school because the football game is about the only vessel that can properly contain the pomp and circumstance it produces. Most everyone is conditioned to think of football and homecoming in the same breath, and other than graduation and maybe parents' weekend, it's hard to think of any galvanizing event that can draw alumni and out-of-towners to campus.

Mar 24, 2012
The anti-frat rhetoric is interesting. There are plenty of greeks that show up for the games and you don't realize it it because they aren't wearing letters, or do it a little more subtlety by wearing them in black and gold. So some of them get in your way? Some of them leave early? Never heard that before about anyone else from anyone else :roll:. But the level of vitrol put into the calling out greeks that do it seems a little higher.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
The anti-frat rhetoric is interesting. There are plenty of greeks that show up for the games and you don't realize it it because they aren't wearing letters, or do it a little more subtlety by wearing them in black and gold. So some of them get in your way? Some of them leave early? Never heard that before about anyone else from anyone else :roll:. But the level of vitrol put into the calling out greeks that do it seems a little higher.

But but but, doomsday, keep in mind that all those frat boys are conformist assholes. The guys on here with the Chinese letter tattoos and PBR tallboys who have never once conformed to anything ever told us so.

GRID

Insider
Mar 18, 2013
Homecoming= my least favorite game of the year

Why , you may ask...because we have to deal with a bunch of pansy frat boys and sorority girls that wear any color except black and gold and leave at half time.

last year half of the west end student section emptied like there was an active shooter after the King and Queen was announced at halftime. Good news was them leaving freed up better seats and limited the fire hazard on certain rows from over-crowding.

Last edited:

GRID

Insider
Mar 18, 2013
Typically a homecoming game will provide an attendance spike for the home team when they play an inferior opponent so it serves to add $ to the coffers. Clearly that won't happen with this game. So we have 5500 season ticket holders that will be there for the basketball and likely have very little interest in which student is crowned king/queen this year and 2000 students, of which a solid amount will be there only until the king/queen is crowned. As a result we are left with a half empty student section for the second half and a somewhat disinterested west end for the first half. Further consider that many students that want to attend the game for the homecoming proceedings will have to wait in line for an hour or more and students that want to go and watch the game for the actual action on the court have to compete with more students to get a ticket to the game. Alumni that would like to watch the Homecoming proceedings will have to buy a ticket on the secondary market at what will likely be a steep price.

Considering that VCU gains nothing from having this during a Mens Basketball I fully support moving the homecoming to a Women's BBall game. Doing so would allow alumni that actually want to enjoy the proceedings attend relatively cheaply and would also let all interested students attend since space will not be an issue. It seems like a win/win for all parties involved to have this at a Women's Basketball game and a losing proposition for all parties to keep it during a Men's game.

I second the motion. Plus, the Women are building their brand and need all the help they can get with introduction to new audiences.