Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 99 40.1%
  • Against

Votes: 148 59.9%

• Total voters

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Obviously being a huge VCU and basketball fan my Twitter feed was blowing up last night with Shaka stuff, both for and against, a lot of which was coming from Ram fans. I posted a poll on my Twitter feed that picked up 60 votes but I figured posting one in here would likely be a little more scientific because you guys are all VCU fans whereas anyone could vote on my Twitter poll (65% said they root for him, 35% said they root against him).

Curious to see what the forum thinks. Also feel free to share why or why not.

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
Obviously being a huge VCU and basketball fan my Twitter feed was blowing up last night with Shaka stuff, both for and against, a lot of which was coming from Ram fans. I posted a poll on my Twitter feed that picked up 60 votes but I figured posting one in here would likely be a little more scientific because you guys are all VCU fans whereas anyone could vote on my Twitter poll (65% said they root for him, 35% said they root against him).

Curious to see what the forum thinks. Also feel free to share why or why not.
This poll should have a third or fourth option. I love Coach Smart but I find myself rooting against his team. For instance last night I was a little miffed when they called the foul on Taylor but then I pumped my fist when Hield nailed the game winning 3.
I used to live on the Panhandle of Texas and I never liked UT athletics.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
This poll should have a third or fourth option. I love Coach Smart but I find myself rooting against his team. I used to live on the Panhandle of Texas and I never liked UT athletics.
I considered it but knew that would clearly be an easy way out. ;)

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Well, do you understand my point? It is mixed. I do kind of root for him but then I realize it is Texas so I root for the other team.
Basically what you are saying is..... hate Texas, not Shaka right?

I had that same feeling when Grant left for Bama.... I wished him the best.... but I hate Bama (mainly cause of their football program).... so I always cheered against Bama.... tho I still wished Grant the best.

Wisco

Top Member
Nov 12, 2013
I am more of a passive supporter. I hope he does well but I dont go out of my way to root for Texas. For example, last night I enjoyed the Texas game and was happy with the outcome for the sole reason that it was good basketball.
I feel the same way.

Grappler

Top Member
Apr 8, 2015
I'm not going to vote. The question isn't as simple as rooting for or against Texas based solely on Shaka. A lot of nights it depends on who Texas is playing. Maybe they are playing a team that I'd like to see get beaten. Or maybe a team is playing Texas and I'd like to see the other team win.

Also, VCU is my number one priority so if Texas winning a game helps us move up in the rankings then I want them to win. If Texas losing a game helps us move up in the rankings then I want Texas to lose.

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
Basically what you are saying is..... hate Texas, not Shaka right?

I had that same feeling when Grant left for Bama.... I wished him the best.... but I hate Bama (mainly cause of their football program).... so I always cheered against Bama.... tho I still wished Grant the best.
I look at it this way. Why would anyone other than a Texas grad/Austin/state of Texas based fans root for them? The entire Hook 'Em money falling out the sky burnt orange thing is not appealing to me. I went to VCU so I root for VCU. I have various favorite teams in professional sports. When a player is traded I do not go root for his new team.
So I voted......I root against Texas unless they are playing some a-hole school like Kansas:D

Last edited:

Orion

Top Member
Apr 7, 2015
I am more of a passive supporter. I hope he does well but I dont go out of my way to root for Texas. For example, last night I enjoyed the Texas game and was happy with the outcome for the sole reason that it was good basketball.
Definitely this. I support Shaka, and I do hope he does well. That being said, I don't root for Texas or really follow them. Best of luck to Shaka, but I keep my focus on the team I care about