Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 99 40.1%
  • Against

Votes: 148 59.9%

• Total voters

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
Moneywhip is an aggressive term used to describe the action of making someone do what you want by flashing big enough $$. It’s a derogatory term but isn’t race-specific. I’ve typically seen it used in the context of headhunting and pimping/prostitution. Policing verbage is fine for virtue signaling I guess, but mostly just irritates people instead of educating anyone on why they should be more sensitive.

And to the guy who said our NET ranking was in the 60s, looks like it’s down in the 110s now. Around our Kenpom.

Reactions: SpiderRAM
Dec 7, 2011
Moneywhip is an aggressive term used to describe the action of making someone do what you want by flashing big enough $$. It’s a derogatory term but isn’t race-specific. I’ve typically seen it used in the context of headhunting and pimping/prostitution. Policing verbage is fine for virtue signaling I guess, but mostly just irritates people instead of educating anyone on why they should be more sensitive.

And to the guy who said our NET ranking was in the 60s, looks like it’s down in the 110s now. Around our Kenpom.
For what it is worth Kenpom still has his preseason values in his rankings and they won’t be completely eliminated from the current year until around January. Why the NET rankings were released without a large enough sample size to avoid looking broken is beyond me.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
The problem 85 is thug was never a term of endearment. It always meant a violent person who was criminal. It was once used as a negative term for Italian immigrants, and at some point it was used as a racist term to describe young African American and Latino men negatively.

So while you may have used it and your buddies weren't offended, it has always been both offensive and racists.
I grew up in Utica NY, one of the most mafia influenced towns in America. Thug was not used to describe Italian immigrants. It was used to describe violent members of the mafia who were engaged in illegal acts. I use the word to describe any person (regardless of race) who breaks the law and uses force or intimidation to illegally obtain what he wants.
That said, I do understand that the term has morphed the past few decades into seemingly more racial and am very careful about using it now. Times change and our sensitivities need to adjust with the current sentiment.

Last edited:
May 5, 2009
I grew up in Utica NY, one of the most mafia influenced towns in America. Thug was not used to describe Italian immigrants. It was used to describe violent members of the mafia who were engaged in illegal acts. I use the word to describe any person (regardless of race) who breaks the law and uses force or intimidation to illegally obtain what he wants.
That said, I do understand that the term has morphed the past few decades into seemingly more racial and am very careful about using it now. Times change and our sensitivities need to adjust with the current sentiment.
Interesting. My only New York connection are relatives from Utica.