Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 123 44.1%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.9%

• Total voters

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Honestly I wish him nothing but success. I hope he finds himself in another position where he can implement and build a lasting culture. Hope the dude kills it wherever he goes. Might not be the most popular opinion, but it's how I feel as someone who was finishing up my time at VCU during the magic of 2011.
You are not alone. I think SS gave us all we could hope for during his tenure here. Plus he stuck around a few years after and didnt have to do that. He really ensure that we stayed on the map instead of just getting us there and leaving.

Capel, AG, and WW all were in it for themselves and saw us as a stepping stone. All three didnt hesitate. SS gave us a few more years. Remember Capel thought about leaving for Auburn in year 2, AG was on the plane ready to take the Florida job until it was rip away, and well we all know about Slick WW.

Feb 14, 2011
When Shaka is let go he should take over at George Mason and build them into a power over the next 25 to 30 years.
I believe you are somewhat joking but I believe (for what that is worth) is where Shaka belongs, building programs under his own terms and conditions. TX is not a place where he has the freedom and resources to implement his visions. Shaka is a bad match for TX type players, fans, supporters and Admin. unlike VCU where he had total control over MBB.

Mar 1, 2015
I am a Valley guy so if he would go for a rebuild JMU would be my pick.
Tough one. JMU fired one of the all time winningest coach’s after only one tournament appearance. Lefty put an entertaining product on the floor though, lots of interest. Are they still in D1?

I know Maya would love it. BBQ chicken, livestock shows, and the steam and gas meet. All the culture the Smarts could handle. If you ever wanted them to suffer for leaving, that could be their own private h$!!.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Tough one. JMU fired one of the all time winningest coach’s after only one tournament appearance. Lefty put an entertaining product on the floor though, lots of interest. Are they still in D1?

I know Maya would love it. BBQ chicken, livestock shows, and the steam and gas meet. All the culture the Smarts could handle. If you ever wanted them to suffer for leaving, that could be their own private h$!!.
She might like Kline's ice cream and Jess' hot dogs though.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
To the original question: Yes, I still cheer for Shaka's success. I wish he would get through next season to turn it around, but not sure it will happen. I also think he will not be moving to a mid major program when he leaves Texas, I think he will still have opportuniites within the Power 6 Conferences but at the lower echelon of each. He might also take a year to work for a network as an analyst and await to perfect fit. Again, I hope he continues at Texas and sees success. We all should want the same.

(also, if someone above suggested Shaka runs a dirty program then they are off base)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

i think their true he!! would be if the UT-Exs get their wish of Chris Beard and Shaka somehow ends up in Lubbock!

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2