Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 124 44.3%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.7%

• Total voters

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I’m not so sure Grant leaves his alma mater with that fanbase/facilities. I think he stays at Dayton long term.
Yep, could be he stays there, but if a Big 10 or ACC school comes calling, those are awful hard to turn down (depending on the school).

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
<Obligatory ExGirlfriend Reference>
When I see Shaka now, I smile remembering the good times, like 2011. I wish him nice things and happiness. But what he does, where he goes, whether he's happy, doesn't have any importance to me anymore. I guess I'm over him. :D
</Obligatory ExGirlfriend Reference>

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yep, could be he stays there, but if a Big 10 or ACC school comes calling, those are awful hard to turn down (depending on the school).
Landscape of college basketball is such that Grant has as much of a chance to win it all at Dayton then he would if went anywhere except maybe 10 schools.. Dayton has the resources ....it ain’t mason or odu or some $hite school like them

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Who knows? Maybe the Big 12 where everyone else is just as talented if not more so? Maybe the lack of "strong ass offers"
So if the talent is about equal for the Big 12 schools (I am not sure that is the case given the draft history from Shaka’s time at Texas compared to the rest of the Big 12) wouldn’t the big variable be coaching? I am not sure how one doesn’t question how much Shaka’s success was due to the assistants given their success as head coaches compared to Shaka.

Reactions: Ramaholic and Nic

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Landscape of college basketball is such that Grant has as much of a chance to win it all at Dayton then he would if went anywhere except maybe 10 schools.. Dayton has the resources ....it ain’t mason or odu or some $hite school like them
Plus it's his Alma mater.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
FWIW I’ve seen ODU and Mason fans both pining for the possibility of hiring Shaka Smart should he be let go and available. Both Jeff Jones and Dave Paulsen are starting to lose their fan bases.

As much as both fan bases loved to rag on and whine about Shaka when he was here, there’s no doubt they’d love him to be their coach. Funny how all that works.

I will always appreciate Shaka Smart for his impact on VCU hoops. I haven’t been around for all that long when it comes to the big picture of VCU basketball. I may be employing recency bias, but Shaka seems to me to be the single most impactful basketball coach in our history.

VCU has been on the National map before, but Shaka helped ensure that we’d stay on it even after he left.

He has his flaws as all coaches (and indeed people) do. That doesn’t take away from the fact that our program is immeasurably better off for his influence and impact on it.

He’s as good a leader of young men as it is possible for someone with the tenuous nature of his position to be.

I sure hope we never have to face him in the A-10 or at ODU. He’s not a perfect X’s and O’s coach, but he’s a transcendent overall personality and program manager at the mid-major level. He’ll do big things at his next stop if I had to guess.

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
Capel's at Pittsburgh, so ACC, and I don't think we've seen coach Grants last coaching move.
I don't think so. He's at his alma mater. He is building quite a team there and I think Dayton makes it worth his while to stay.

Reactions: RamStrut

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I don't think so. He's at his alma mater. He is building quite a team there and I think Dayton makes it worth his while to stay.
Coaches staying put would be a great trend. We're going to see a shake up in college sports when they create the next football play off scheduling. That's going to affect every conference, and will be very interesting to see. It may get painful to if you're odd man out on the musical chair/conference circuit.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I agree with this. I think Grant has learned his lesson when it comes to coaching opportunities, and I'm fairly confident he'll be at Dayton for quite a while.

Reactions: RamStrut and NCRam

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
FWIW I’ve seen ODU and Mason fans both pining for the possibility of hiring Shaka Smart should he be let go and available. Both Jeff Jones and Dave Paulsen are starting to lose their fan bases.

As much as both fan bases loved to rag on and whine about Shaka when he was here, there’s no doubt they’d love him to be their coach. Funny how all that works.

I will always appreciate Shaka Smart for his impact on VCU hoops. I haven’t been around for all that long when it comes to the big picture of VCU basketball. I may be employing recency bias, but Shaka seems to me to be the single most impactful basketball coach in our history.

VCU has been on the National map before, but Shaka helped ensure that we’d stay on it even after he left.

He has his flaws as all coaches (and indeed people) do. That doesn’t take away from the fact that our program is immeasurably better off for his influence and impact on it.

He’s as good a leader of young men as it is possible for someone with the tenuous nature of his position to be.

I sure hope we never have to face him in the A-10 or at ODU. He’s not a perfect X’s and O’s coach, but he’s a transcendent overall personality and program manager at the mid-major level. He’ll do big things at his next stop if I had to guess.
I can't see Shaka ever taking the coaching job at fmason. The funding for the basketball program to be successful at the A-10 level just isn't there. I'm also not sure fodu would pony up the money necessary to hire Shaka. Personally, I think his next stop is going to be somewhere like Wake Forest. Danny Manning has to be on an extremely short leash and will probably get canned after this year. Shaka would be the perfect "clean" fit for a school like Wake Forest, while not having the pressure to win a National Championship in order to keep his job.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I think Grant stays at Dayton a while also.... at least a lot longer than he did at VCU. Also, if he were to ever leave Dayton.... I don't think it's going to be for somewhere like Bama... who clearly is not a basketball school & most people there don't give a f*** bout it.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I can't see Shaka ever taking the coaching job at fmason. The funding for the basketball program to be successful at the A-10 level just isn't there. I'm also not sure fodu would pony up the money necessary to hire Shaka. Personally, I think his next stop is going to be somewhere like Wake Forest. Danny Manning has to be on an extremely short leash and will probably get canned after this year. Shaka would be the perfect "clean" fit for a school like Wake Forest, while not having the pressure to win a National Championship in order to keep his job.
Wake is a good call too—similar situation to GaTech. I went with the latter because of the allure of Atlanta vs. Winston Salem, but could see it from a positional fit.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Wake is a good call too—similar situation to GaTech. I went with the latter because of the allure of Atlanta vs. Winston Salem, but could see it from a positional fit.
Can’t see Maya approving a move to Winston Salem, but Atlanta might be a different story. After all, she did graduate from “Hawfud”😀.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Can’t see Maya approving a move to Winston Salem, but Atlanta might be a different story. After all, she did graduate from “Hawverd”😀.
She may not have the luxury of picking their next destination if her husband is unemployed. And there are a lot of college towns worse than Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is not that bad.