Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 118 43.4%
  • Against

Votes: 154 56.6%

• Total voters

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
She may not have the luxury of picking their next destination if her husband is unemployed. And there are a lot of college towns worse than Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is not that bad.
Unless someone has been running up the cards or investing with Bernie Madoff, I suspect the Smarts will not have to make rash decisions for say.....the next decade or two.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Unless someone has been running up the cards or investing with Bernie Madoff, I suspect the Smarts will not have to make rash decisions for say.....the next decade or two.
Coaches want to keep coaching. I can't believe Shaka would sit on the sidelines vs. moving on to his next job. Fired coaches don't always have that luxury. And my guess is Shaka is not leaving Texas unless he is fired.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Coaches want to keep coaching. I can't believe Shaka would sit on the sidelines vs. moving on to his next job. Fired coaches don't always have that luxury. And my guess is Shaka is not leaving Texas unless he is fired.
Understood, just saying there will likely be multiple options, including taking the advantage of a little time.

Reactions: RamStrut

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I can't see Shaka ever taking the coaching job at fmason. The funding for the basketball program to be successful at the A-10 level just isn't there. I'm also not sure fodu would pony up the money necessary to hire Shaka. Personally, I think his next stop is going to be somewhere like Wake Forest. Danny Manning has to be on an extremely short leash and will probably get canned after this year. Shaka would be the perfect "clean" fit for a school like Wake Forest, while not having the pressure to win a National Championship in order to keep his job.
That's a solid point. Wake Forest "pressure" is different than Texas "pressure"....plus, he wouldn't have the burden of all those 5 Star players weighing him down ;)

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I
I think Grant stays at Dayton a while also.... at least a lot longer than he did at VCU. Also, if he were to ever leave Dayton.... I don't think it's going to be for somewhere like Bama... who clearly is not a basketball school & most people there don't give a f*** bout it.
It would be BIG east, Big 10, or ACC in my opinion.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
I can't see Shaka ever taking the coaching job at fmason. The funding for the basketball program to be successful at the A-10 level just isn't there. I'm also not sure fodu would pony up the money necessary to hire Shaka. Personally, I think his next stop is going to be somewhere like Wake Forest. Danny Manning has to be on an extremely short leash and will probably get canned after this year. Shaka would be the perfect "clean" fit for a school like Wake Forest, while not having the pressure to win a National Championship in order to keep his job.
If he gets terminated from Texas they'll still be paying him a ton of money, so the next school won't have to pay Shaka money for Shaka, at least not at the outset. The idea being he turns things around and generates enough of a boost in revenue between ticket sales and NCAA shares that they can pick up Texas's share to keep him around when bigger programs decide to give him a second chance. Or he rehabilitates his image and moves on, but the school he leaves is better positioned to make a good replacement hire.

I'm biased but I think between the two, ODU is a better fit. Nicer arena, more consistent success (long term at least), much better support. Plus ODU for all its issues is still one of the top teams in CUSA and has the biggest budget; with Shaka, they become the dominant team in that conference and with the right parts can be an at-large contender. Mason has more obstacles to overcome and tougher in-conference competition; I don't see them getting to the VCU/Dayton level any time soon, if at all. Better than they are now, sure, but I think their ceiling is lower.

As for Manning: It's been reported that his contract extension is fully guaranteed and if they fired him after this season, they'd have to shell out something like $10-12 million. If true, they may be a rich school but it's going to be hard for even them to stomach that kind of buyout, especially since they'd have to spend big to get a coach that can get them even to the middle of the pack.

Jul 30, 2014
My theory:

UT with or without Shaka is not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC
or even Michigan State. He’s gotten a few one & dones, a couple more high potentials and then mostly guys that are NBA possibles but not locks. It’s not like he has been getting classes that are absolutely flush with elite talent—instead he has tried to mix elites with four year guys and frankly i think the mix of differing agendas undermines his greatest strength as a coach, which is as a culture builder.

I’ve been steadfast that i think Shaka is above avg on Xs & Os in as much as he has a good vision for how he wants his teams to play and by most accounts is a strong players coach—his players do improve, which says something.

All that said, I don’t get the impression that he has run that program exactly as he intended. It seems that he may have listened to other influencers seeking quick fixes—rather than truly revise the program as his own. UT will do that to even the strongest willed men, so while he bears the responsibility of not being true to his convictions (if my theory is true), i’m not sure he ever had a chance.

However it ends, he won’t be living with the regret of not trying to play at that level. He’s likely made more money than he ever imagined he would, he’s probably learned a ton and i’m sure he’ll get some attractive opportunities. Why not saaaaayyy, GaTech—the expectations are different, academics serious, Atlanta is a booming multi-cultural city and well its the ACC.
Rick Barnes took Texas to a Final Four and 2 Elite 8s. Shake hasn't won a game.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If he gets terminated from Texas they'll still be paying him a ton of money, so the next school won't have to pay Shaka money for Shaka, at least not at the outset. The idea being he turns things around and generates enough of a boost in revenue between ticket sales and NCAA shares that they can pick up Texas's share to keep him around when bigger programs decide to give him a second chance. Or he rehabilitates his image and moves on, but the school he leaves is better positioned to make a good replacement hire.

I'm biased but I think between the two, ODU is a better fit. Nicer arena, more consistent success (long term at least), much better support. Plus ODU for all its issues is still one of the top teams in CUSA and has the biggest budget; with Shaka, they become the dominant team in that conference and with the right parts can be an at-large contender. Mason has more obstacles to overcome and tougher in-conference competition; I don't see them getting to the VCU/Dayton level any time soon, if at all. Better than they are now, sure, but I think their ceiling is lower.

As for Manning: It's been reported that his contract extension is fully guaranteed and if they fired him after this season, they'd have to shell out something like $10-12 million. If true, they may be a rich school but it's going to be hard for even them to stomach that kind of buyout, especially since they'd have to spend big to get a coach that can get them even to the middle of the pack.
It sucks having coaches leave us for other schools, but can you imagine the AD making calls to try to raise millions of dollars to fire a coach? I'm glad we haven't had to deal with that.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Rick Barnes took Texas to a Final Four and 2 Elite 8s. Shake hasn't won a game.
Different era for UT athletics. Deloss Dodds was one of the best ADs ever and ran that department with an iron fist in a velvet glove. When he retired in 2013, they have been on a downward spiral much like the one you would see in a restroom.

Del Conte is in there now, he is respected and good, but also didn’t hire Shaka.

Barnes is a good coach and operated well during a time of stability—notice though, his last few years were not very notable.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

As long as fodu is in C-USA, they will not be an option for Shaka. He can do much better. There are lots of P5 schools that would take him, along with some Big East/AAC schools. I don't even see the A-10 as an option to him, unless Anthony Grant or Mike Rhoades were to leave, and that's not going to happen any time soon. SLU might be a stretch.

My guess is, when Shaka leaves Texas, he will land at a middle of the pack P5 school that doesn't have a high profile name like Texas.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
As long as fodu is in C-USA, they will not be an option for Shaka. He can do much better. There are lots of P5 schools that would take him, along with some Big East/AAC schools. I don't even see the A-10 as an option to him, unless Anthony Grant or Mike Rhoades were to leave, and that's not going to happen any time soon. SLU might be a stretch.

My guess is, when Shaka leaves Texas, he will land at a middle of the pack P5 school that doesn't have a high profile name like Texas.
Better jobs? Definitely. But if he's more interested in rehabilitating his coaching reputation than taking the best-available job (which is what got him in his position to begin with), he might consider finding a program he can craft in his image like he did with VCU. Tubby Smith kept taking step-down jobs from Kentucky until he landed at his alma mater High Point, where he's limping to his retirement. Capel got to Pitt and he seems to be turning things around, but not before spending time as an assistant, and I don't see Shaka taking an assistant job like Capel and Grant did.

You're right in that Shaka can do better on paper, and I agree that he'll probably end up at a P5 next. But with Texas still paying the freight, he has the flexibility to choose the best move for him. Which may not be the biggest move.