Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 124 44.3%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.7%

• Total voters

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Some of y'all are hard headed. Shaka will still have several good options and will not take a job that will directly compete with VCU for recruits or on the schedule (unless he has no choice like the H/H in his contract or a tournament). He still loves VCU and it's still very important to him that we succeed long term. Forget about the A10/CAA/fODU/etc.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
As long as fodu is in C-USA, they will not be an option for Shaka. He can do much better. There are lots of P5 schools that would take him, along with some Big East/AAC schools. I don't even see the A-10 as an option to him, unless Anthony Grant or Mike Rhoades were to leave, and that's not going to happen any time soon. SLU might be a stretch.

My guess is, when Shaka leaves Texas, he will land at a middle of the pack P5 school that doesn't have a high profile name like Texas.
Northwestern maybe? Are they the one Big 10 school not projected to make the tournament this year?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Better jobs? Definitely. But if he's more interested in rehabilitating his coaching reputation than taking the best-available job (which is what got him in his position to begin with), he might consider finding a program he can craft in his image like he did with VCU. Tubby Smith kept taking step-down jobs from Kentucky until he landed at his alma mater High Point, where he's limping to his retirement. Capel got to Pitt and he seems to be turning things around, but not before spending time as an assistant, and I don't see Shaka taking an assistant job like Capel and Grant did.

You're right in that Shaka can do better on paper, and I agree that he'll probably end up at a P5 next. But with Texas still paying the freight, he has the flexibility to choose the best move for him. Which may not be the biggest move.

Shaka will not be pulling a Lefty Driesell when he took the JMU job. And, yes he will have options. And going to a school like Wake Forest would NOT be his biggest move. I can also see schools like Georgia Tech, Northwestern, Wisconsin and several PAC-12 schools in play for his services.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Definitely rooting for Shaka Smart and Texas against Will Wade and LSU today. Forget about the fact that VCU beat LSU this year. Gotta pull for the better ex-VCU coach in many different ways in this game.

Reactions: Ramdog
Jan 1, 2010
Look at what Grant is doing with Dayton..... To ALL coaches out there.... If you think you are a good coach
Then it doesn't HAVE to be a power 5 to get results....

Always bothered me.. Path of least resistance....Believe in yourself and your abilities.....

Shaka will hopefully travel this road as well....

FWade though!!!! :o :lol:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So you'd be happy that Shaka won and we have zero Q1 wins?

It's not the last game of the season for LSU and LSU is on the road, so you are putting the cart before the horse. No matter what happens today, LSU is still going to leave Austin, Texas undefeated in the SEC and still in first place.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Look at what Grant is doing with Dayton..... To ALL coaches out there.... If you think you are a good coach
Then it doesn't HAVE to be a power 5 to get results....

Always bothered me.. Path of least resistance....Believe in yourself and your abilities.....

Shaka will hopefully travel this road as well....

FWade though!!!! :o :lol:

And Dayton isn't your typical non-P5 school, just like VCU isn't. Dayton and VCU also aren't your typical A-10 schools either.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
If VCU's resume is that dependent on a LSU road win over Texas today, then VCU has bigger resume issues than what LSU does.
At this point, yes I do think VCU could use any bit of help to boost the resume in any form. We have a very very small margin of error right now. I'll take what we can get.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Mar 15, 2011
the biggest 'what-if' in all of VCU history is what would have happened if Shaka had stayed 2-3 more years and got that top 20 recruiting class into the Stu. probably would've been ranked top 10 for a couple of years, gotten great seeds in the NCAA tourney, and maybe a deep run. :(

Reactions: RamStrut