Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 120 43.5%
  • Against

Votes: 156 56.5%

• Total voters

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
This article on coaches on the hot seat was updated on January 23: https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/. If you look at the lower p5s, Big East, A10, and American programs that might be looking for a new head coach in March, you come up with the following list:

Boston College
Fordham
Georgia Tech
Tulsa
DePaul
Wake Forest
Richmond
Penn State
Northwestern
Georgetown
Iowa

I think it's extremely unlikely that some of these programs fire their coaches. For example, Mooney is probably safe at Richmond given this year's performance. Ditto for Haith at Tulsa. Also, the contract buyout at Wake Forest is quite high.

The more I look at the list of probably openings that would be a great fit for Shaka, the more I like DePaul. It's in a great city, it's in the Midwest, there's not much pressure, the conference would allow him to recruit well, and it's a program where Shaka could recruit kids who play with chips on their shoulders.

If Georgetown moves on from Ewing, I could also see Shaka ending up there.

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
This was a article written BEFORE the Texas loss to LSU. No telling what is to come. There are 10.5 million reasons for him to stay.

And here is another.

Last edited:

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
This article on coaches on the hot seat was updated on January 23: https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/. If you look at the lower p5s, Big East, A10, and American programs that might be looking for a new head coach in March, you come up with the following list:

Boston College
Fordham
Georgia Tech
Tulsa
DePaul
Wake Forest
Richmond
Penn State
Northwestern
Georgetown
Iowa

I think it's extremely unlikely that some of these programs fire their coaches. For example, Mooney is probably safe at Richmond given this year's performance. Ditto for Haith at Tulsa. Also, the contract buyout at Wake Forest is quite high.

The more I look at the list of probably openings that would be a great fit for Shaka, the more I like DePaul. It's in a great city, it's in the Midwest, there's not much pressure, the conference would allow him to recruit well, and it's a program where Shaka could recruit kids who play with chips on their shoulders.

If Georgetown moves on from Ewing, I could also see Shaka ending up there.
I would love to see a VCU “friendly” Coach added to the ranks of the Big East. I know it may not add any leverage to our consideration for inclusion. But, we may be able to schedule a home and home series which could prove advantageous in time. Also, I don’t see us getting a game w/ Georgetown as long as its being led by its current coaching staff.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I would love to see a VCU “friendly” Coach added to the ranks of the Big East. I know it may not add any leverage to our consideration for inclusion. But, we may be able to schedule a home and home series which could prove advantageous in time. Also, I don’t see us getting a game w/ Georgetown as long as its being led by its current coaching staff.
Coach Smart would never willingly play us.

Feb 14, 2011
I am a Valley guy so if he would go for a rebuild JMU would be my pick.
ME TOO!, JMU has most all the parts and pieces to build a darn good MBB program but we both know that will never happened not as long as their AD of 25+ years is still there and their finance guy runs athletics.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
ME TOO!, JMU has most all the parts and pieces to build a darn good MBB program but we both know that will never happened not as long as their AD of 25+ years is still there and their finance guy runs athletics.
Until JMU finally elevates their football program to FBS level, the basketball program will continue to be mired in the CAA mud. JMU will not reap the benefits of their new arena until they figure out a way to get out of the CAA. And then there is no guarantee. Just ask fmason how A-10 sledding is going for their basketball team.

Feb 14, 2011
Until JMU finally elevates their football program to FBS level, the basketball program will continue to be mired in the CAA mud. JMU will not reap the benefits of their new arena until they figure out a way to get out of the CAA. And then there is no guarantee. Just ask fmason how A-10 sledding is going for their basketball team.
There isn't a D1 conference that would invite JMU with a boat anchor like men's basketball. Until MBB can consistently complete at the top of a weak CAA, football is stuck in FCS.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
There isn't a D1 conference that would invite JMU with a boat anchor like men's basketball. Until MBB can consistently complete at the top of a weak CAA, football is stuck in FCS.
Not so sure about that. Have to believe the Sun Belt Conference would take JMU (with football) without hesitation.

Reactions: PRock and Newboy

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I am curious why you think a FBS transition is so important for their basketball program given ODU’s struggles post CAA.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I am curious why you think a FBS transition is so important for their basketball program given ODU’s struggles post CAA.
Have you taken a close look at the CAA recently. William & Mary is one of the best programs in the conference. Nothing else needs to be said regarding the quality, or lack thereof, of the CAA in basketball. No other conference is going to add JMU unless football comes with it. JMU football has positioned itself both program wise and facility wise to move up to the FBS level. JMU is now spending $88 million on a new 8,500 seat convocation center. It's time for JMU athletics to make the next leap and football is driving the train.

One other point. JMU football moving to the FBS level is not going to put the basketball program in the crapper like it did at fodu. The JMU basketball program has already been in the crapper for years. They can't even compete in the CAA. Any program move, driven by football, isn't going to make the basketball program any worse.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Man, Anthony knows how to put a team together....his third years are pretty sublime.
I agree 100%. Remember the majority of the FF guys were guys he recruited. Yes SS coached them but they all matured pretty well.

Ram20ROB

Top Member
Nov 12, 2014
Absent any changes in Virginia law, it will be extremely difficult for JMU to move to FBS level. That was certainly their intent but a few years back the general assembly imposed limits on the level of student fees that can support athletics. Caps are imposed based on the NCAA designated level of the sports programs. JMU already pushes (if not exceeds) the levels imposed on FCS schools. The allowable fees go down significantly at the FBS level - since the other revenue sources are available. But the smaller FBS conferences can't provide enough new revenue to JMU to make up for the drop JMU would take in student fee monies. So if JMU barely squeaks by now they'll never make it at lower student fee levels.