Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 123 44.1%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.9%

• Total voters

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Have you taken a close look at the CAA recently. William & Mary is one of the best programs in the conference. Nothing else needs to be said regarding the quality, or lack thereof, of the CAA in basketball. No other conference is going to add JMU unless football comes with it. JMU football has positioned itself both program wise and facility wise to move up to the FBS level. JMU is now spending $88 million on a new 8,500 seat convocation center. It's time for JMU athletics to make the next leap and football is driving the train.

One other point. JMU football moving to the FBS level is not going to put the basketball program in the crapper like it did at fodu. The JMU basketball program has already been in the crapper for years. They can't even compete in the CAA. Any program move, driven by football, isn't going to make the basketball program any worse.
Agreed the CAA is not good but I am curious if the Sun Belt, MAC, or even CUSA is much better for basketball. Granted I haven’t really followed their program and FCS football in general.

Reactions: rvaram

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Agreed the CAA is not good but I am curious if the Sun Belt, MAC, or even CUSA is much better for basketball. Granted I haven’t really followed their program and FCS football in general.
As much as I love football and sometimes wish VCU had gone ahead and started a program, when you look out at the landscape of college sports there's just no where to go. I wouldn't want trade places with JMU or ODU.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
As much as I love football and sometimes wish VCU had gone ahead and started a program, when you look out at the landscape of college sports there's just no where to go. I wouldn't want trade places with JMU or ODU.
I have to wonder if you gave the ODU fans who pushed for the football program truth serum what would they say about the decision now. As much as I love college football it just seems like the college game is becoming less and less competitive. Seeing the future odds for national champions for both FBS football and D1 basketball is eye opening.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Football is a loser unless you are possibly in the Priv 5 conferences. Middle Tennessee can't compete and they've playing football a lot longer than ODU.

Feb 14, 2011
Absent any changes in Virginia law, it will be extremely difficult for JMU to move to FBS level. That was certainly their intent but a few years back the general assembly imposed limits on the level of student fees that can support athletics. Caps are imposed based on the NCAA designated level of the sports programs. JMU already pushes (if not exceeds) the levels imposed on FCS schools. The allowable fees go down significantly at the FBS level - since the other revenue sources are available. But the smaller FBS conferences can't provide enough new revenue to JMU to make up for the drop JMU would take in student fee monies. So if JMU barely squeaks by now they'll never make it at lower student fee levels.
Agree. This is where a quality basketball program is part of the football discussion. As we all know; Quality basketball generates revenue and helps fund other sports. JMU basketball bleeds money unlike VCU that consistently generates revenue that helps fund our other sports. You cant give a ticket away for a JMU basketball game, private donations are made for football only, there is little corporate sponsorship, little revenue generated from post season play. At VCU, I'm a very average donor. If I donated the same amount to JMU as I do for VCU, I would be sitting in very good club seats for football and center court for basketball. Mid, Mid-high major schools need both quality basketball and football to fund athletics. I supposes it's easier said than done by looking at the struggles ODU is having.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Agree. This is where a quality basketball program is part of the football discussion. As we all know; Quality basketball generates revenue and helps fund other sports. JMU basketball bleeds money unlike VCU that consistently generates revenue that helps fund our other sports. You cant give a ticket away for a JMU basketball game, private donations are made for football only, there is little corporate sponsorship, little revenue generated from post season play. At VCU, I'm a very average donor. If I donated the same amount to JMU as I do for VCU, I would be sitting in very good club seats for football and center court for basketball. Mid, Mid-high major schools need both quality basketball and football to fund athletics. I supposes it's easier said than done by looking at the struggles ODU is having.
I can't believe JMU is spending $88 million on a new 8,500 seat convocation center to stay in the CAA. If their plans were to stay in the CAA, they would be building a convocation center that seats 5,000 max. This year, JMU basketball is averaging less than 2,200 per game.

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
I have to wonder if you gave the ODU fans who pushed for the football program truth serum what would they say about the decision now. As much as I love college football it just seems like the college game is becoming less and less competitive. Seeing the future odds for national champions for both FBS football and D1 basketball is eye opening.
Like many I've mocked odu's football decision over the years. While ultimately I think they'll stay where they are, timing is going to be incredibly crucial for them. If they can be competitive around the time the big grant of rights deals end they may end up in a good position if conference realignment goes crazy. If UVA goes B1G or Tech goes SEC a halfway competent 757 based school MIGHT be an appealing replacement. It would likely depend on how desperate a conference is, but I think at the very least they might be able to wrangle an AAC invite if the ball bounces the right way.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Like many I've mocked odu's football decision over the years. While ultimately I think they'll stay where they are, timing is going to be incredibly crucial for them. If they can be competitive around the time the big grant of rights deals end they may end up in a good position if conference realignment goes crazy. If UVA goes B1G or Tech goes SEC a halfway competent 757 based school MIGHT be an appealing replacement. It would likely depend on how desperate a conference is, but I think at the very least they might be able to wrangle an AAC invite if the ball bounces the right way.
The ACC has all of the ACC schools locked in financially big time. There are only a couple of schools in the ACC that could afford to leave the ACC and it's not UVA or VA Tech. The absolute best landing spot for fodu in the future is the AAC.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
The ACC makes more money these days but the carpetbaggers have watered it down. Bring back South Carolina and Maryland the OGs and drop Ga Tech, Va Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Miami and Florida State! :lol:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The ACC makes more money these days but the carpetbaggers have watered it down. Bring back South Carolina and Maryland the OGs and drop Ga Tech, Va Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Miami and Florida State! :lol:
If you want a good laugh, check out Mike Brey's rant this past weekend after the FSU game, which cost him $20,000.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Location plays a big part in JMU's lack of financial support. VCU is supported not only by alums but by citizens and corporations in the Richmond metro area many who have been doing so for a long time. JMU is a great academic school and they have a great football product. However, they are still in Harrisonburg.

Give, VCU JMU's IAA football squad with all its success and we'd do fine. Now for us to start a program from scratch today is yet another proposition.

Finally, ODU football isn't dead they are just down this year. They could very well be a power in our state as VA Tech hasn't always been killer, Beamer put them on the map and now he's gone, and those dudes over in Hooville, well let's just say ODU could easily surpass what they have done. Given this, ODU football could very well surge and become the states best. Now whether they win a National Championship is another topic.

Reactions: vcugq08
Mar 2, 2014
This is crazy talk.