Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 123 44.1%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.9%

• Total voters

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Location plays a big part in JMU's lack of financial support. VCU is supported not only by alums but by citizens and corporations in the Richmond metro area many who have been doing so for a long time. JMU is a great academic school and they have a great football product. However, they are still in Harrisonburg.

Give, VCU JMU's IAA football squad with all its success and we'd do fine. Now for us to start a program from scratch today is yet another proposition.

Finally, ODU football isn't dead they are just down this year. They could very well be a power in our state as VA Tech hasn't always been killer, Beamer put them on the map and now he's gone, and those dudes over in Hooville, well let's just say ODU could easily surpass what they have done. Given this, ODU football could very well surge and become the states best. Now whether they win a National Championship is another topic.
Oxford, MIT, Harvard, and Cal Tech are great academic schools. Michigan, Duke, and UVA are very good academic schools. JMU is an above academic school.

Reactions: rvaram

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Like many I've mocked odu's football decision over the years. While ultimately I think they'll stay where they are, timing is going to be incredibly crucial for them. If they can be competitive around the time the big grant of rights deals end they may end up in a good position if conference realignment goes crazy. If UVA goes B1G or Tech goes SEC a halfway competent 757 based school MIGHT be an appealing replacement. It would likely depend on how desperate a conference is, but I think at the very least they might be able to wrangle an AAC invite if the ball bounces the right way.
Why would UVA leave the ACC ?

Aug 7, 2012
Like many I've mocked odu's football decision over the years. While ultimately I think they'll stay where they are, timing is going to be incredibly crucial for them. If they can be competitive around the time the big grant of rights deals end they may end up in a good position if conference realignment goes crazy. If UVA goes B1G or Tech goes SEC a halfway competent 757 based school MIGHT be an appealing replacement. It would likely depend on how desperate a conference is, but I think at the very least they might be able to wrangle an AAC invite if the ball bounces the right way.
1. UVA will never leave the ACC. Despite the academic strength of the Big Ten, UVA’s alumni would go crazy if they left. The money isn't that different anymore. Their rivals are all in the ACC.
2. Even if a VA team was to leave, the replacement wouldn’t be another VA school. The ACC would look for a new market. The conference was coerced into adding Tech. That won’t happen again. A school like Cincinnati or Memphis would be a much better option than ODU and either would accept an ACC invite the second it was offered.
3. ODU’s football is so bad right now that no P5 conference would look at them. Charlotte, Appalachian State, and Liberty (boo) are all better options at the moment.

Reactions: HBK
May 1, 2009
1. UVA will never leave the ACC. Despite the academic strength of the Big Ten, UVA’s alumni would go crazy if they left. The money isn't that different anymore. Their rivals are all in the ACC.
2. Even if a VA team was to leave, the replacement wouldn’t be another VA school. The ACC would look for a new market. The conference was coerced into adding Tech. That won’t happen again. A school like Cincinnati or Memphis would be a much better option than ODU and either would accept an ACC invite the second it was offered.
3. ODU’s football is so bad right now that no P5 conference would look at them. Charlotte, Appalachian State, and Liberty (boo) are all better options at the moment.
If the ACC wasn't interested in UConn due to academics (at least that was what I was hearing at the time of expansion) then why would they go for Memphis or Cinci?

Aug 7, 2012
If the ACC wasn't interested in UConn due to academics (at least that was what I was hearing at the time of expansion) then why would they go for Memphis or Cinci?
UConn not getting in wasn’t about academics. It was about their football stadium/facilities and questions about their commitment to the sport (which has been proven to be a legitimate concern). They also weren’t as good of an option as other teams the ACC added. With Syracuse and Notre Dame, the NYC market it already captured.

If Louisville can get into the ACC (from an academics perspectiv), then so can Memphis or Cincy? And it’s not like ODU is an academic powerhouse. But the ACC won’t add any of these teams without a defection from the current conference. Louisville only got in because of the Maryland defection. The ACC will continue to sit and wait for a bigger fish to become available and for Notre Dame to eventually be willing to join for all sports.