Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 124 44.3%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.7%

• Total voters

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
They have one of the top defenses in the country. Playing in the Big12 they are allowing the 35th fewest ppg. I think VCU is 38. Pretty good, don’t think playing a little zone is hurting. Their offense is crap, no purpose.
Good point! He was very zone-weary here, but excellent point about how good their defense is today.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Since this thread poses a poll question, I figured I’d ask a counter question.

Do any actual college basketball people enjoy watching Texas basketball? Holy sh1t that is a poor visual product to watch every time they play. I root for Shaka, but the “Give the ball to Treveon and get the f/ck out of the way” method in 2013-2014 was more appealing.

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Those one and dones are just biding their time until they can go to the NBA. They don’t want to invest the time and effort that Havoc requires.
This 100%. 1 and dones couldn't care less what Shaka wants to do. They're not gonna kill themselves on the floor in a style of play the NBA doesn't run.... EVER.

Shaka needs to coach kids who are hungry, will play his game, and run thru walls to prove they're as good as the P5 players.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I was excited to see what Havoc with a lotto big could be when he landed Bamba. I am with you. I don’t get it.
The issue with bigs like Bamba is that while they have a great deal of potential, they really aren't great basketball players. Most especially bigs are drafted on potential.

Shaka really hasn't had the talent needed to compete, as a guy like Jaxson Hayes or Bamba would have made a huge difference had both stayed just one additional year.

Look at the talent he has today. Good but not great young but not uber talented. No real First rounders on his team. Coleman hasn't panned out. Jones and his health issues really hurt Texas progress.

At the end of the day, there is a thin line between success and failure.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
This 100%. 1 and dones couldn't care less what Shaka wants to do. They're not gonna kill themselves on the floor in a style of play the NBA doesn't run.... EVER.

Shaka needs to coach kids who are hungry, will play his game, and run thru walls to prove they're as good as the P5 players.
I’m sorry, but this isn’t true. You guys are throwing every talented 18 year old into one basket. They’re not all the same. Being a 5 star high schooler is a combination of genetics, natural skill, and worth ethics. A lot of those guys are the best guys to ever have on your team. There seems to be an idea from some that we’d be better off without those guys, and it’s an awful idea.

Do you really think all OAD players aren’t willing to run through walls? Plenty of them are as hard working as any 3 or 4 star player.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
The issue with bigs like Bamba is that while they have a great deal of potential, they really aren't great basketball players. Most especially bigs are drafted on potential.

Shaka really hasn't had the talent needed to compete, as a guy like Jaxson Hayes or Bamba would have made a huge difference had both stayed just one additional year.

Look at the talent he has today. Good but not great young but not uber talented. No real First rounders on his team. Coleman hasn't panned out. Jones and his health issues really hurt Texas progress.

I guess I watch the offensive sets and just shake my head. For example, when VCU played at Texas I couldn’t believe the game plan down the stretch wasn’t just throw the ball to Simms or Osetkowski since they were playing so well. Instead they shot 4-17 from 3 and had a low scoring loss.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Bamba is looking like a bit of a bust for Orlando....not a shock though, he was way over hyped going into Texas.

Hayes is actually a credit to Shaka and staff, was super raw and not expected to be a one and done...he is playing quite well.

As i said before, UT is a cess pool, ever since Dodds retired they’d screw up a wet dream. Those that know, know that Shaka will get a better and bigger situation down very quickly.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Bamba is looking like a bit of a bust for Orlando....not a shock though, he was way over hyped going into Texas.
Can't move, can't shoot, and can't stay healthy does not an NBA center in 2020 make.

I like Hayes. I want him and Mitchell Robinson in the dunk contest next year.

Reactions: PRock

VCU94MCV98

Top Member
Mar 27, 2011

This statement is the key. Plenty (probably the majority) of OAD players know that they are going to the NBA and are willing to put in the work to build skillsets that will benefit them at that level. Those guys don't want to press on D and run a weave offense because those skills don't translate to the NBA game. It iisn't a matter of "lazy" OADs that want to coast for a year and then go pro, these guys simply don't want to waste time and effort learning and executing a system that they will never be asked to run in the pros.

To use a football analogy, no high school 5 star QB is going to commit to a college team that runs the wishbone...

Reactions: RamDaddio and SWV

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
This statement is the key. Plenty (probably the majority) of OAD players know that they are going to the NBA and are willing to put in the work to build skillsets that will benefit them at that level. Those guys don't want to press on D and run a weave offense because those skills don't translate to the NBA game. It iisn't a matter of "lazy" OADs that want to coast for a year and then go pro, these guys simply don't want to waste time and effort learning and executing a system that they will never be asked to run in the pros.

To use a football analogy, no high school 5 star QB is going to commit to a college team that runs the wishbone...
Well he's the one recruiting those guys.