Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 118 43.4%
  • Against

Votes: 154 56.6%

• Total voters

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
This statement is the key. Plenty (probably the majority) of OAD players know that they are going to the NBA and are willing to put in the work to build skillsets that will benefit them at that level. Those guys don't want to press on D and run a weave offense because those skills don't translate to the NBA game. It iisn't a matter of "lazy" OADs that want to coast for a year and then go pro, these guys simply don't want to waste time and effort learning and executing a system that they will never be asked to run in the pros.

To use a football analogy, no high school 5 star QB is going to commit to a college team that runs the wishbone...
Thanks. That was my point. Maybe I didn't explain it well. Sure they'll work hard to get better at their game, but not at running a system they won't ever be seeing in the pros.

Reactions: VCU94MCV98 and SWV

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
This statement is the key. Plenty (probably the majority) of OAD players know that they are going to the NBA and are willing to put in the work to build skillsets that will benefit them at that level. Those guys don't want to press on D and run a weave offense because those skills don't translate to the NBA game. It iisn't a matter of "lazy" OADs that want to coast for a year and then go pro, these guys simply don't want to waste time and effort learning and executing a system that they will never be asked to run in the pros.

To use a football analogy, no high school 5 star QB is going to commit to a college team that runs the wishbone...
UNC isn‘t a OAD factory like Kentucky and Duke, but they’ve managed to recruit hardworking OAD guys that go there despite UNC not running an NBA style system. There are certainly entitled 5 star guys and lazy 5 star guys, but I don’t think it’s at any different rate than the entitled/lazy 3 and 4 star guys. Most of the kids want to win while succeeding as individuals. That’s the thought process of most kids.

If there’s an issue with OAD players, it’s that they aren’t around long enough to learn complex systems. If you’ve never pressed before, then you’re probably not going to learn to do it well in 15-20 preseason practices. You either dumb down your system or have young guys out there making a lot of mistakes.

But this isn’t just an issue for freshmen anymore. The NCAA’s limits on the time athletes can practice with their coaches combined with the decreased number of players staying at the same school for 3-4 seasons has taken its toll. It wasn’t uncommon a couple decades ago for teams to have 3-4 defenses that they would switch up regularly during a game. These days, 2 defenses is the most you usually see and most programs run one defense almost exclusively. Coaches have to decide what they have time to teach and what things take up too much practice time to ever get the team to use effectively. Every minute you spend teaching a new defense is a minute you don’t use perfecting your primary defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: onelasttime

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Since this thread poses a poll question, I figured I’d ask a counter question.

Do any actual college basketball people enjoy watching Texas basketball? Holy sh1t that is a poor visual product to watch every time they play. I root for Shaka, but the “Give the ball to Treveon and get the f/ck out of the way” method in 2013-2014 was more appealing.
No.

Reactions: thelonious_chunk

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Bamba is looking like a bit of a bust for Orlando....not a shock though, he was way over hyped going into Texas.

Hayes is actually a credit to Shaka and staff, was super raw and not expected to be a one and done...he is playing quite well.

As i said before, UT is a cess pool, ever since Dodds retired they’d screw up a wet dream. Those that know, know that Shaka will get a better and bigger situation down very quickly.
PRock. Agreed, he really hasn't had the type of talent necessary to dominate. As you state the one kid that exceed expectations, Hayes, left early. He is doing well but I think with another year he would have been even better.

Also, I am glad you made the last statement: "Those that know, know that Shaka will get a better and bigger situation down very quickly."

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I guess I watch the offensive sets and just shake my head. For example, when VCU played at Texas I couldn’t believe the game plan down the stretch wasn’t just throw the ball to Simms or Osetkowski since they were playing so well. Instead they shot 4-17 from 3 and had a low scoring loss.
As a Coach, you can plan, plan, plan but your guys have to execute. Plus a great deal of those 3's were open guys just didn't hit them. I do agree that I would have pounded it inside all night long as well. Osetkowski was a gamer but Simms rarely plays to his potential.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Almost time to come back home, Shaka.
Shaka's NCAA Tournament record since the Final Four run is 2-6. He has only been to the NCAA Tournament once in the last three years and will probably miss out on the NCAA Tournament again this year. And very well may get fired.

And you want him to come back to VCU? I'll take a pass on his return. He's definitely not the answer to VCU moving to the next level.