Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 125 44.3%
  • Against

Votes: 157 55.7%

• Total voters

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
CDC’s going to go all in on Chris Beard, with a backup plan of Chris Beard. He is a native son, so they have hope that a couple million dollars per year and Austin vs Lubbock comparison will seal the deal.
I don't think so. Shaka's buyout is 10.5 million dollars. Last year, Beard signed an extension with Texas Tech that would require any school from the B12 to pay Texas Tech 6 million dollars. That means just to get Beard in the door, Texas would have to pay 16.5 million dollars. However, Beard's contract at Texas Tech was for six years and 27.45 million dollars, which made him one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Texas would have to offer 4.5 million just to match Tech, but to get him to leave, you'd probably have to get into the 5-6 million dollar range.

I know Texas has money, but they're still paying their former football coach, and Tom Herman is on the hot seat right now. Throw in the $300 million dollars they're spending on their new basketball arena, and I just don't think it's likely that they'll go this route.

John Beilein resigned as the Cavs coach yesterday, and so he's probably the front runner for the Texas job. I could see them also courting Billy Donovan as well.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I don't think so. Shaka's buyout is 10.5 million dollars. Last year, Beard signed an extension with Texas Tech that would require any school from the B12 to pay Texas Tech 6 million dollars. That means just to get Beard in the door, Texas would have to pay 16.5 million dollars. However, Beard's contract at Texas Tech was for six years and 27.45 million dollars, which made him one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Texas would have to offer 4.5 million just to match Tech, but to get him to leave, you'd probably have to get into the 5-6 million dollar range.

I know Texas has money, but they're still paying their former football coach, and Tom Herman is on the hot seat right now. Throw in the $300 million dollars they're spending on their new basketball arena, and I just don't think it's likely that they'll go this route.

John Beilein resigned as the Cavs coach yesterday, and so he's probably the front runner for the Texas job. I could see them also courting Billy Donovan as well.
I know of a winning coach in the Dayton area who would be a great fit.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Living in Texas, just reporting what the mood is among some of the boosters—they want Beard and he is an alum. Plus, have you ever been to Lubbock? The devil finds it repulsive, takes a good 3 years to get the stockyard stink off your body.

The buy-out details and money overall is a very legitimate point, good question on how much they’d want to sink into hoops. So you are right, the odds probably favor no Beard, but there is little question he is the target.

Been told Beilein is not in the consideration set—they want high energy. You think Shaka is a misfit...Beilein’s best days are behind him.

Dec 2, 2012
So Shaka is out this year or next, what would be a school that would take him in?
I could see a
UCF type of school, or Liberty type.
Not Liberty in the sense that I don't think Shaka would fit in there culturally, but as in a school that has money, is ambitious, and has a lot more money than it has pedigree and very hungry to make a splash.
Would anyone else guess he needs to spend a year as an analyst to wash some of the stink off before he coaches again?

Reactions: DisplacedRam

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
So Shaka is out this year or next, what would be a school that would take him in?
I could see a
UCF type of school, or Liberty type.
Not Liberty in the sense that I don't think Shaka would fit in there culturally, but as in a school that has money, is ambitious, and has a lot more money than it has pedigree and very hungry to make a splash.
Would anyone else guess he needs to spend a year as an analyst to wash some of the stink off before he coaches again?
Are you really thinking UCF and Liberty? that is an odd thought. Dawkins and McKay are in great standing with those programs. Why did you mention those two schools?

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Are you really thinking UCF and Liberty? that is an odd thought. Dawkins and McKay are in great standing with those programs. Why did you mention those two schools?

Spitballing....in every sense of the metaphor.