Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 124 44.3%
  • Against

Votes: 156 55.7%

• Total voters
May 19, 2015
I was wondering how this was going to work out.
I read someone's article that it was going to take a run to the Sweet 16 to keep his job. However, given the current circumstances, they may even cancel his pink slip, if that is what was intended, until next year. Who knows, he needs a better life than what's being offered in Texas. I don't care how much they are paying him. But it won't be at VCU because we have an AWESOME Coach!

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I read someone's article that it was going to take a run to the Sweet 16 to keep his job. However, given the current circumstances, they may even cancel his pink slip, if that is what was intended, until next year. Who knows, he needs a better life than what's being offered in Texas. I don't care how much they are paying him. But it won't be at VCU because we have an AWESOME Coach!
Not to play the role of the grammar police, but you misspelled "adequate."

:D

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I think the late stretch where Texas was playing well (winning 5 of their last 6) likely helped save Shaka's job, and rightfully so. I have a feeling next season will likely be his last chance, though.
Honestly, I think his buy-out saved his job. If they didn't owe him all da money, he'd be looking for a mid-tier BE spot this summer. The team did play better down the stretch. I'll root for him wherever he ends up (even if it is, gulp, TX).*/

*/ Except ODU or UR. A man has to draw the line someplace.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Honestly, I think his buy-out saved his job. If they didn't owe him all da money, he'd be looking for a mid-tier BE spot this summer. The team did play better down the stretch. I'll root for him wherever he ends up (even if it is, gulp, TX).*/

*/ Except ODU or UR. A man has to draw the line someplace.
Point taken. @WestEndEd (I think) on Twitter also brought up the point that schools aren't getting NCAA $$$ this year and so it might be economically infeasible to fire him. The article suggests replacing him could cost up to $50 million right now, which seems extreme to me but makes some sense.

Reactions: RamStrut

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Point taken. @WestEndEd (I think) on Twitter also brought up the point that schools aren't getting NCAA $$$ this year and so it might be economically infeasible to fire him. The article suggests replacing him could cost up to $50 million right now, which seems extreme to me but makes some sense.
Maybe take look at the fact that he is not losing any players this year so they have a good team returning plus a solid recruiting class.

Reactions: Newboy and RamStrut