Honestly, do you root for or against Shaka's Texas team?

Do you root for or against Shaka Smart's Texas team?

• For

Votes: 125 44.3%
  • Against

Votes: 157 55.7%

• Total voters
Right now probably still a little against, but I am softening up more and more.

VCU1970

Elite Member
I root against Shaka. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of us who root against Shaka hope that the emergence of VCU basketball has more to do with our program and our city, than it has to do with any one coach just willing individual teams to greatness. Perhaps if Shaka does not enjoy the level of success in TX that he had at VCU, it will become all the more clear that VCU helps the coach more than the coach helps VCU. Once that pattern is understood, no coach will use VCU as a stepping stone. Shaka may be the last coach who ever viewed us in that light.

EXCELLENT response !!!:)

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Can we just make this a Zap Brannigan thread?

6DE.jpg

VCU1970

Elite Member
There are too many variables involved to discuss. But if Shaka is HIGHLY successful( more so than VCU ) then it makes it appear that we haven't arrived ( FF a fluke) and did so ONLY because of him . Some may believe that going to Houston was ALL HIM but NOT me. If he is a failure at Texas then VCU is seen in a better light - a good thing No. VCU can be seen as a destination school NOT just a stepping stone to a BETTER school . Also the taste in my mouth on the manner in which he handled the situation is something that no human should put in their mouth. Therefore I wish he would lose EVERY game, including Kansas(sorry Alien) and miss the tournament EVERY year. Then maybe he will look back and see that he WAS at a destination school not a stepping stone. But I could be totally wrong because in the long run( a marathon not a sprint) IMO we have a better coach.

Against. The way he left was VCU terrible and lacked class, quite frankly. Granted, these situations are never easy and it is especially tough given how much he meant to the university and city, but there could have been more thought and discretion used when he made the decision to go to Texas. That said, it's over. We've moved on and am glad we have Wade as I was getting tired of losing in the first round of the NCAA's, especially in light of the money.

rammad90

Elite Member
Interesting..

Shaka is the man, did so much for the university, but how great would it look for our school if we continue to prosper whilst he struggles at Texas a la Grant and Capel. Well he's certainly not struggling, and we are doing really well considering our off season. So I'll take that. I don't think I answered the question, but as much as I respect Shaka I wouldn't mind to see him crash and burn at Texas. Always time for him to rebound if he does. Just look at Grant and Capel

Also: I would love nothing more than to play them in the tournament win lose or draw
Fwiw, Texas is built to beat us. They are big similar to GW but more skilled with a deeper bench. Yes, I want to play them but not this year. In fact, we now get top 25 or at least P5 match ups.

I'd rather we take the buy out and use the money for something to help the olympic sports. I thought we were really close to what Grant had a Bama, and Capel at OU. But something tells me SS might have a bit more in the tank as he continues to recruit.

I really thought we could beat them early on but now not so sure.

Fran FraschillaVerified account‏@franfraschilla
Huggs? RT @JasonKingBR: So many good coaches in the Big 12. If season ended today I'd vote for Shaka Smart as COY; Bruce Weber as runner-up.

Also, read a quote from SS discussing this team vs. VCU teams. He stated something such as : You coach to the players you have, just because he did one thing at VCU doesn't mean he cannot coach another style as well. The guy is getting better every game. He has clearly taken it up a notch at Texas. Shame he didnt do it here.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
Here is my issue. Daniel Roose is from the county where I live and graduated High School from here. I know his family well. So, I have to root a tad for the horns as his family got to know Coach Wade and still pull for VCU. However, where SS is concerned; I'm ok pulling for him until I hear the announcers talk about how "dedicated he is to the players, always will be there for them, blah blah blah". Then, not so much.
NC did SS do something to the players? Has he not been there since moving on to Texas? I thought he was still in contact with guys like Troy, Bri etc.
I remember seeing an article where Troy stated he talks to the guy 3-4 times a month.

If he did something please let it be known. Not questioning your reason for not wishing the guy well, just unaware that he dissed the players in anyway.

NC did SS do something to the players? Has he not been there since moving on to Texas? I thought he was still in contact with guys like Troy, Bri etc.
I remember seeing an article where Troy stated he talks to the guy 3-4 times a month.

If he did something please let it be known. Not questioning your reason for not wishing the guy well, just unaware that he dissed the players in anyway.
Obviously he was in contact with Trevon.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I don't root for anyone other than VCU. I use up everything I have rooting for VCU.

As far as rooting against I did notice that they struggled a bit earlier in the season, and I didn't hate it. Then VCU goes on a 12 game winning streak and I could honestly give a F about what is going on in Texas. If we win games and make the tournament I am happy regardless of what he is doing.

I could not "honestly" root for Shaka Smart's Texas team.

I don't root for a coach anyway. I root for the VCU Rams and whoever is coaching them at the time. After that, I root for which ever team winning would help VCU. Thus, I root for every A10 team when they play out of conference.

Now there are certain coaches I don't care for - coach "K," Hurley at URI, etc..

RonnieDobbs

Elite Member
Good question.
I proudly root for shaka! Inspite of everything, I feel "once a ram, always a ram". Look at this way, we got him for 6 years which is better than va tech, marquette, illinois, NC state and UCLA!

second, the same way I root for Rice, and UT-Chatt, and The Mount, ad Teddy and Justin and Lyles, etc
I'm firmly in this camp. Go Rams.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Where I'm at on this...

I like Shaka Smart as a person, I think he's a good dude. I like Maya, like his family, like his staff (the ones I knew/sorta knew at least). But if I'm being REALLY real, I have a very hard time rooting for his new team.

Why?

Because I'm an underdog guy, both on and off the court (perhaps that comes from growing up a Ram fan in VT/UVA land and in a middle class household as well). Texas Athletics is the opposite of that. I'm "mom and pop", Texas is the big box store who tries to shut mom and pop down.

I've never rooted for that and never will.

I get why Shaka took the job, I do. His new company has endless resources and provides an easier rout to a national championship. Coaches love those things. But in making that move I think he chose the path of least resistance when previously I thought he was a different guy, a "champion of the little guy", and underdog type of dude. Not saying I was surprised he ultimately made that move, but had always hoped he was truly a different cat, another Mark Few. Turns out he wasn't. That doesn't make him evil, just makes him less of the type of guy I root for.

rammad90

Elite Member
There are too many variables involved to discuss. But if Shaka is HIGHLY successful( more so than VCU ) then it makes it appear that we haven't arrived ( FF a fluke) and did so ONLY because of him . Some may believe that going to Houston was ALL HIM but NOT me. If he is a failure at Texas then VCU is seen in a better light - a good thing No. VCU can be seen as a destination school NOT just a stepping stone to a BETTER school . Also the taste in my mouth on the manner in which he handled the situation is something that no human should put in their mouth. Therefore I wish he would lose EVERY game, including Kansas(sorry Alien) and miss the tournament EVERY year. Then maybe he will look back and see that he WAS at a destination school not a stepping stone. But I could be totally wrong because in the long run( a marathon not a sprint) IMO we have a better coach.

70 you may have been closer to the guy than I. Most likely so. I really dont bond to Coaches as I believe they are a perishable commodity. I am a program guy, and support whoever in the big chair.

However, I dont the counter position. SS's successes at Texas, have little to do with us other than showing the guy has a solid record at solid programs.

As long as WW and his potential successors do well, SS success has little to do with our arrival and ultimate staying in the position of solid program.
So as long as we handle our business what he does should only have a positive impact on us.

Now if we falter, yes it will appear that it was all Shaka. Do you expect us to falter? I dont.

Also, didnt Capel do the same type thing? I heard maybe not true, his guys found out he was leaving via ESPN Sports Center. That's clearly worse than SS stating he didnt need to come back to Richmond?

As you state, you think we have the better guy. If true SS wins or loses have no bearing on our being a destination school.

Fwiw, I think its too early to state who's better. We do know that SS had a record setting 6 years and is presently a candidate for COY in the most competitive conference in the country. I dont think it matters who's better as long as WW wins. Seems like we are on track.