Recruiting I for one am glad we didn't sign another freshman

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Louisville basketball is 0-3 after their latest loss to App St.

Roosevelt Wheeler didn't play a minute.....just sayin', big fella CAN'T be happy about that.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Seriously, He'd be SO much better off in the A10, in a system that would showcase his skills, AND be able to play in front of friends and family. AND he'd still be on the radar of NBA/European folk.

throw in the fact that Payne is already PUBLICLY throwing guys under the bus regarding "practice habits and playing time"....good luck recruiting in the future Coach Numbnuts

"A lack of effort or proper mindset in practice has also been the reason why a select few players have hardly seen the court, or not at all. Guard Fabio Basili and forward Devin Ree have yet to log any minutes, while forward/center Roosevelt Wheeler has played in just 23 minutes between the first two games. While Payne did admit that health did play a bit of role with the three, their practice habits played more so of a role, particularly with Basili and Ree."

BGDragoon80

Insider
IMHO, I wish we fill the last roster spot with a 'go-to' knock down 3 point shooter 40+%. Shriver is filling that role this year. I think as the season progresses he becomes more comfortable and knocks down the 3. After he leaves do we have a player on the roster to fill that spot? That type of player is needed in any offense.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
IMHO, I wish we fill the last roster spot with a 'go-to' knock down 3 point shooter 40+%. Shriver is filling that role this year. I think as the season progresses he becomes more comfortable and knocks down the 3. After he leaves do we have a player on the roster to fill that spot? That type of player is needed in any offense.
Haha…if wishes were fishes; right?

Knock down 3 point shooters are almost impossible for us to transfer in….at least the ones that are “on the radar”
we have to grow them and/or get lucky
Melvin Johnson was a lucky get after his U of Miami deal soured
BA Walker was a home grown guy
Troy Daniels was waaaaay off the radar

The other side of that coin are the Billbury/Crowfield/Banks of the world that show flashes but never quite reach that level

I think Zeb and Nunn can be the thing we are most used to seeing ‘round these parts
Tough as nails guard with a wide skill set that checks most boxes…including 3’s
And hold out hope for those lotto ticket winners
Maynor/Bri/JeQuan/Bones…

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Haha…if wishes were fishes; right?

Knock down 3 point shooters are almost impossible for us to transfer in….at least the ones that are “on the radar”
we have to grow them and/or get lucky
Melvin Johnson was a lucky get after his U of Miami deal soured
BA Walker was a home grown guy
Troy Daniels was waaaaay off the radar

The other side of that coin are the Billbury/Crowfield/Banks of the world that show flashes but never quite reach that level

I think Zeb and Nunn can be the thing we are most used to seeing ‘round these parts
Tough as nails guard with a wide skill set that checks most boxes…including 3’s
And hold out hope for those lotto ticket winners
Maynor/Bri/JeQuan/Bones…
I don’t know, maybe the 6’6”ish chubby guys with a man bun who are kind of adequate with doing other things as a 4 but have a really sweet stroke from 3 are the way to go. Gotta be a few more out there!

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I don’t know, maybe the 6’6”ish chubby guys with a man bun who are kind of adequate with doing other things as a 4 but have a really sweet stroke from 3 are the way to go. Gotta be a few more out there!

That chubby guy with a man bun went 0-9 yesterday, including 0-7 from three.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
That chubby guy with a man bun went 0-9 yesterday, including 0-7 from three.
No fair, you had the advantage of seeing that game. We know if given room and rhythm... he can hit the three. Can he hit them at the speed of play of a VCU vs. Memphis game. I've thought all along that the only way he sees the floor consistently for us is if he hits threes. If he's not going to do that, he just doesn't do the other things we need from our 4s to see the floor very often.
I was hoping he could give us something like what Jimerson gives SLU, but outside of a nice stroke on threes, he's just not as good an overall player as Jimerson.
Still if he hits the threes he can be valuable, but he's got to hit them. I mean 3 of 7 from him yesterday and it's a respectable loss anyway.
That said, there will be games when he goes 5 of 7 and makes our offense click. We can't have 0fer games from him though.

He does other things even when he's 0 - 9. Other teams have to respect him and have a wing that can cover him. That opens up the lane for penetration or for one of our bigs to go one-on-one. Our bigs need to get better/stronger at finishing at the rim and Shriver needs to get back to that 40% make percentage.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
He does other things even when he's 0 - 9. Other teams have to respect him and have a wing that can cover him. That opens up the lane for penetration or for one of our bigs to go one-on-one. Our bigs need to get better/stronger at finishing at the rim and Shriver needs to get back to that 40% make percentage.
Know what you're saying, but he hasn't been playing the wing, he's been playing the 4. It is great that he pulls the other teams 4 away from the basket, but even with him in there we had few driving lanes yesterday.
Maybe he'll catch up with the speed of a higher level D1 game, but right now he looks a step slow with everything. Effort is not a problem, guy is playing hard. Just outside of shooting and opening the court that that can provide, he is not very good at other aspects of playing the 4. If the shots fall, he is definitely and asset for the team. We need his shots to fall!

Let’s be honest he was a D3 recruit originally for a reason. There is a limit to how much you can improve a player. They can work their butt off but they have to have the talent.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Louisville's Bataan Death March continues....Roosevelt Wheeler get 12 minutes, mostly when the game was WELL out of hand....dude needs to come home and do a hard reset.

Louisville, currently 0-4, have Texas Tech/Maryland/Miami/FSU upcoming. Kenny Payne has lost this team and fanbase really quickly...which, again, is fine by me as I still harbor Metro Hatred for that entire program.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Louisville's Bataan Death March continues....Roosevelt Wheeler get 12 minutes, mostly when the game was WELL out of hand....dude needs to come home and do a hard reset.

Louisville, currently 0-4, have Texas Tech/Maryland/Miami/FSU upcoming. Kenny Payne has lost this team and fanbase really quickly...which, again, is fine by me as I still harbor Metro Hatred for that entire program.

Denny Crum says Happy Thanksgiving @Half-baked Mcbride! 😎🤣

1669129507601.png

Ramdog

Elite Member

If he can’t minutes in that dumpster fire maybe he should stay right there

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
If he can’t minutes in that dumpster fire maybe he should stay right there
Well, he's clearly in Payne's doghouse for some reason
Could be attitude, practice habits, academics, something personal, who knows?
I just think the kid needs a change of scenery, and it's a pretty safe bet that he'd bounce back pretty well with some better coaching and better opportunities (He'd clearly only have to share time with Fermin)

When's the last time VCU ever got a Top 100 kid who was 6'11" 240?

Just sayin...it's not the worst idea