I love our “small gym”

Apr 14, 2011
Some people think we are small, but I think we are very big. Our arena holds only 7600 people but at times compares to the volume of 70,000 person college football game. Skyler Mayes mentioned this in the post game press conference “This is my 4th year of college basketball and this is the toughest environment I’ve ever played in”. The Sieg is likely one of the smallest gyms he’s played in College. I love the size of our arena, i think it fits us perfectly. The Siegel Center is truly a special place!

Feb 14, 2011
I have a love/hate for the STU. Love the atmosphere, hate the building but that's for another time. I was talking with an LSU parent after the game and he mention that he wishes LSU would have close to that kind of energy, much harder to do at a football school.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Would blacking out the ceiling make the place to dark for TV?
He still never explains what blacking the ceiling is suppose to accomplish, especially considering the money it would cost to do it. During an average 90+ minute broadcast how many seconds are the cameras on the ceiling?

Reactions: vcu70

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Fill in the corners, put a Tommy West club on the Northside of the building and I think it would be perfect. Play a holiday tournament in (hopefully) the new coliseum and maybe one early season out of conference game there against a larger DMV school, rest of the games on campus. That is my dream.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Fill in the corners, put a Tommy West club on the Northside of the building and I think it would be perfect. Play a holiday tournament in (hopefully) the new coliseum and maybe one early season out of conference game there against a larger DMV school, rest of the games on campus. That is my dream.
The corner seats are already empty most of the time. We don't need to reconfigure the entire arena to add more seats that will go unused.

Reactions: WestEndEd

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
The corner seats are already empty most of the time. We don't need to reconfigure the entire arena to add more seats that will go unused.
The counterpoint is that more seats might bring down the cost of seats and bring some fans that have been priced out back to games. That would involve a larger arena and not just filling in corners.

I doubt VCU brings in more than we currently do on a regular basis even with a larger arena, but we certainly can in our big games a handful of times a year. An organized ticket exchange/selling process would help too.

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I thought I read in another post that someone got tickets to another game this season for <$20 right up close to tip. Either we need to broadcast that type of thing to people who sign up for "last minute alerts", similar for how Funny Bone gets people into shows that have not sold a sufficient quota yet, or make a move where any seats left unpurchased less than some predetermined amount of time (15 minutes? 30 minutes?) before tipoff go to any students in whatever lottery type thing they must run by now that didn't get in initially. Get people in who want to be there, but otherwise may not be.

Edit: When I was a student (2005-2010), even some of the big games you had to get there very early to get in with student ID (e.g. Oklahoma coming in with Capel and co. ranked at #17, AKA the Jay Gavin game), and this was way before the post-Final Four era. If students were notified of a possible merit entry they might also line up for the chance to fill those unsold seats, rather than having Saxon Shoes announce a sellout with obviously-empty seats.