I love our “small gym”

Mar 2, 2014
He still never explains what blacking the ceiling is suppose to accomplish, especially considering the money it would cost to do it. During an average 90+ minute broadcast how many seconds are the cameras on the ceiling?
All minutes Chill, all minutes.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I thought I read in another post that someone got tickets to another game this season for <$20 right up close to tip. Either we need to broadcast that type of thing to people who sign up for "last minute alerts", similar for how Funny Bone gets people into shows that have not sold a sufficient quota yet, or make a move where any seats left unpurchased less than some predetermined amount of time (15 minutes? 30 minutes?) before tipoff go to any students in whatever lottery type thing they must run by now that didn't get in initially. Get people in who want to be there, but otherwise may not be.

Edit: When I was a student (2005-2010), even some of the big games you had to get there very early to get in with student ID (e.g. Oklahoma coming in with Capel and co. ranked at #17, AKA the Jay Gavin game), and this was way before the post-Final Four era. If students were notified of a possible merit entry they might also line up for the chance to fill those unsold seats, rather than having Saxon Shoes announce a sellout with obviously-empty seats.
They do have a standby line for students who do not have tickets to the game if there are available student seats 5 mins before game time.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The counterpoint is that more seats might bring down the cost of seats and bring some fans that have been priced out back to games. That would involve a larger arena and not just filling in corners.

I doubt VCU brings in more than we currently do on a regular basis even with a larger arena, but we certainly can in our big games a handful of times a year. An organized ticket exchange/selling process would help too.
Sure, but why would the school want to spend millions adding seats just to drive down the cost of tickets? VCU sells $25 GA tickets to many games and sometimes does promos on top of that. I just recently saw an article where Ed was quoted as saying that if we had a 10,000 seat arena we would probably have 2,000 empty seats for most games. It doesn't sound like expanding the Stu is in the current or near future plans. If there was I would expect it would be more luxury seating and not "cheap seats", but I think we are probably tapped out there as well.

May 19, 2015
Before I recently purchased season tickets, my husband and I could get tickets for just about any game we wanted $25 each, except for the ur, or other signature games. I don't believe there is a bad seat in the house. However, if you are use to sitting near the players or mid sections, you would be disappointed in some of the seats we have been assigned. So I think if folks can afford $25 per ticket, there are still opportunities to enjoy the games without having to become a season ticket-holder.

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
You can make the Stu look fuller, modern and bigger without having to necessarily increase capacity significantly. The secret is to rip all the current seats out and widen the amount of space for each seat. We could choose seats along the sideline but purposely choose elsewhere where there is more leg room. At 6 foot 1, I have no interest in sitting in those cramped sideline seats even if the view is slightly better. If they widen the seats and the rows, this would reduce the current amount of seats by losing a seat or 2 on each row and losing a couple overall rows in each section. The lost seats could be made up and some by adding a mezzanine on the North side of the building.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
The counterpoint is that more seats might bring down the cost of seats and bring some fans that have been priced out back to games. That would involve a larger arena and not just filling in corners.

I doubt VCU brings in more than we currently do on a regular basis even with a larger arena, but we certainly can in our big games a handful of times a year. An organized ticket exchange/selling process would help too.
I'd fully support adding another 1k-1.5k seats if it is feasible, but we'd have to recognize that on days like this Sunday, it is unlikely we would sell out (esp in years when we are rebuilding.

Reactions: mrgeode

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Didn’t someone a while ago photo shop a picture of the Stu with a black ceiling to simulate the look? Not advocating, just curious.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Every time I see an opposing fan in the stu, I thank them for coming out, regardless of the suspense and/or eventual outcome. I consider such interactions to be quality interactions all should take advantage of, I know how I'd feel being greeted and thanked when I've been in their shoes.
I chatted with a few in LSU gear after our game when the crowd was flocking out in the upper concourse mass exodus. One said what an incredible game it was, another complemented us on our "great court", they were impressed. And we all agreed it was one heck of a game.

May 19, 2015
Every time I see an opposing fan in the stu, I thank them for coming out, regardless of the suspense and/or eventual outcome. I consider such interactions to be quality interactions all should take advantage of, I know how I'd feel being greeted and thanked when I've been in their shoes.
I chatted with a few in LSU gear after our game when the crowd was flocking out in the upper concourse mass exodus. One said what an incredible game it was, another complemented us on our "great court", they were impressed. And we all agreed it was one heck of a game.
I was actually greeting 4 lsu visitors to our section, which I thought were also season ticket-holders because they looked familiar, but they were all decked out in purple and gold with lsu gear. I welcomed them and hoped they would have an enjoyable experience in the Stu. They said, hey, we are VCU season ticket-holders because our children graduated from VCU. We graduated from lsu. We all laughed. Then I realized, hey, didn't I just meet you a few weeks ago? :lol: :lol: :lol: Then I said, down with the tigers! Go RAMS Go!