I love our “small gym”

I4one

Top Member
Apr 29, 2017
He still never explains what blacking the ceiling is suppose to accomplish, especially considering the money it would cost to do it. During an average 90+ minute broadcast how many seconds are the cameras on the ceiling?
For me the the black upper is for the Stu experience, not tv. Vision is focused on the most lighted object, the floor. I would think that this would have little affect on tv since lighting remains the same.

Cost? 5 figures. Get the paint donated by a local company, Pleasant’s and I can get some friends together on a weekend. Food from Mobile Munchies.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
For me the the black upper is for the Stu experience, not tv. Vision is focused on the most lighted object, the floor. I would think that this would have little affect on tv since lighting remains the same.

Cost? 5 figures. Get the paint donated by a local company, Pleasant’s and I can get some friends together on a weekend. Food from Mobile Munchies.
Just look at the ceiling of the Siegel Center. Besides the beams it a lot of padded something up there (I'm assuming some type of insulation) that probably can't just be painted over. Then you think you can just paint over the speaker system? Then you have a black ceiling with the rest of the facility remaining the same color would look weird. I seriously doubt a black ceiling would have any affect on the Stu "experience." Have you ever noticed Madison Square Garden? Ceiling and the interior is far from being black. Nobody complains about the experience other than the team sucks.

And you're probably grossly underestimating the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamStrut

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Every time I see an opposing fan in the stu, I thank them for coming out, regardless of the suspense and/or eventual outcome. I consider such interactions to be quality interactions all should take advantage of, I know how I'd feel being greeted and thanked when I've been in their shoes.
I chatted with a few in LSU gear after our game when the crowd was flocking out in the upper concourse mass exodus. One said what an incredible game it was, another complemented us on our "great court", they were impressed. And we all agreed it was one heck of a game.
That's great man! That is how it should be. The LSU fans in attendance that I encountered were all great in my experience.

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Every time I see an opposing fan in the stu, I thank them for coming out, regardless of the suspense and/or eventual outcome. I consider such interactions to be quality interactions all should take advantage of, I know how I'd feel being greeted and thanked when I've been in their shoes.
I chatted with a few in LSU gear after our game when the crowd was flocking out in the upper concourse mass exodus. One said what an incredible game it was, another complemented us on our "great court", they were impressed. And we all agreed it was one heck of a game.
I had an amazing conversation in a concessions line with the aunt of a Wichita State player last year who was so thankful for the awesome environment and hospitality, and she had just driven 4 hours from her home to attend the game. Not all people attending for the sake of the other team are bad people, we need to remember that.

Mar 15, 2014
Just look at the ceiling of the Siegel Center. Besides the beams it a lot of padded something up there (I'm assuming some type of insulation) that probably can't just be painted over. Then you think you can just paint over the speaker system? Then you have a black ceiling with the rest of the facility remaining the same color would look weird. I seriously doubt a black ceiling would have any affect on the Stu "experience." Have you ever noticed Madison Square Garden? Ceiling and the interior is far from being black. Nobody complains about the experience other than the team sucks.

And you're probably grossly underestimating the cost.
So the real trick in this situation is two fold. One look for the best fan/player/in house experience, and number two is to look at the best experience for TV broadcasts. Outside of just getting better at our in house broadcast team, most of these things can be fixed via lighting. (Just an FYI, architectural lighting is my field, and I've worked in MSG.)

Take a look at the Nets.

Now obviously, the arena is much bigger, but imagine that sort of atmosphere during games. Here is Siegel Center from a similar angle.

Updating the lighting realistically would be somewhere between $80,000 to $150,000, maybe reaching $200,000 on total reno cost due to it being a school. This is on the medium to low end for a space this side, and if this were to be combined with upgrading our broadcast side of things... Well we would look like an entirely different Siegel Center.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
So the real trick in this situation is two fold. One look for the best fan/player/in house experience, and number two is to look at the best experience for TV broadcasts. Outside of just getting better at our in house broadcast team, most of these things can be fixed via lighting. (Just an FYI, architectural lighting is my field, and I've worked in MSG.)

Take a look at the Nets.

Now obviously, the arena is much bigger, but imagine that sort of atmosphere during games. Here is Siegel Center from a similar angle.

Updating the lighting realistically would be somewhere between $80,000 to $150,000, maybe reaching $200,000 on total reno cost due to it being a school. This is on the medium to low end for a space this side, and if this were to be combined with upgrading our broadcast side of things... Well we would look like an entirely different Siegel Center.

I don't think anyone complains about the game experience at MSG beside the product on the court.

Not to mention, that Siegel Center photo looks like it's been lightened plus it was a white out game.

Mar 15, 2014

I don't think anyone complains about the game experience at MSG beside the product on the court.

Not to mention, that Siegel Center photo looks like it's been lightened plus it was a white out game.
That referenced photo is for a photo of the building. Not of how they use lighting. This is a better example for MSG during basketball games, and even this one is overexposed. Look how bright the court is.

I can't find too many photos of Siegel at that angle w/o it being a white out, but here is one that shows it in a better light (haha). Notice how bright the ceiling is. This is mostly due to what fixtures they are using. We could add more lights, with a narrower spread, and it would help out the atmosphere. Not saying it is something that needs to be done, but I do think it could help.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM