I'll say it: I hate our offense

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
There.

Everyone is thinking it. Most are saying it. Our offense is no fun to watch.

There seem to be just no easy baskets to be had in the half court. No smooth backdoor cuts. Few pick and rolls that result in beautiful dunks or layups. No big men using post moves or sealing their guy out by the free throw stripe to create space for a lob pass and an easy bucket. Too many insane hook shots and out of control "layups" like 8 feet from the basket with our guards and wings falling away from the hoop.

What gives with this offense?

Is there a coach among you who can tell us why we have such a tough time scoring, even against bad teams?

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
There.

There seem to be just no easy baskets to be had in the half court. No smooth backdoor cuts. Few pick and rolls that result in beautiful dunks or layups. No big men using post moves or sealing their guy out by the free throw stripe to create space for a lob pass and an easy bucket. Too many insane hook shots and out of control "layups" like 8 feet from the basket with our guards and wings falling away from the hoop.

Is there a coach among you who can tell us why we have such a tough time scoring, even against bad teams?
I think we have our coaches to thank for the offense the team attempts to employ...

Reactions: RamFanatic

RamFanatic

Top Member
Feb 6, 2012
There.

You would think seeing your guys hurl out of control or contested shots with 20 seconds on the shot clock would cause MR to blow a gasket. Instead he just claps, waving them back on defense. I’m starting to think our guys have no discipline on offense because there’s no culture of accountability.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Just cause I'm curious about scoring droughts...

Teams VCU has trailed by a depressing margin this year:

At Siegel

Rhode Island by 15
Mason by 17

Road
Wichita State by 17
Dayton by 22
Rhode Island by 29

It really makes it hard to have faith in the rest of the season. Just getting owned by the top-2 in the conference a year after winning the reg season is a bit of a bummer. We haven't proven to be close to being in the same class as them this year, which makes you wonder what is going on and why/how we regressed from last year to this season despite massively upgrading our backup PG position, our hugest weakness from last year. The Mason game last night obviously being the new low and honestly one of the most depressing games I can remember.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011

At Siegel

Rhode Island by 15
Mason by 17

Road
Wichita State by 17
Dayton by 22
Rhode Island by 29

It really makes it hard to have faith in the rest of the season. Just getting owned by the top-2 in the conference a year after winning the reg season is a bit of a bummer. We haven't proven to be close to being in the same class as them this year, which makes you wonder what is going on and why/how we regressed from last year to this season despite massively upgrading our backup PG position, our hugest weakness from last year. The Mason game last night obviously being the new low and honestly one of the most depressing games I can remember.
Did the offense regress or did it not improve as much as fans thought it would? Last year’s offense adjusted efficiency was ranked 177 according to Kenpom. This year’s offense adjusted efficiency is currently ranked 107 according to Kenpom.

Reactions: mrgeode

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016

At Siegel

Rhode Island by 15
Mason by 17

Road
Wichita State by 17
Dayton by 22
Rhode Island by 29

This answer is very obvious: the regression of Evans and Vann and this three-game slump from MSS. Something is wrong with those two players, and for a reason unknown to us, Rhoades continues to have faith in them every game, probably hoping they will show sparks of how they performed last season (like they did against Davidson). We can’t be as good as last year when two of your best players only produce like they used to in sporadic games. Rhoades doesn’t know which version of them will show up each night.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016

At Siegel

Rhode Island by 15
Mason by 17

Road
Wichita State by 17
Dayton by 22
Rhode Island by 29

I’m glad you said it. Wouldn’t be taken as well from regular fans as it is from you. Truth pill right here. 😕

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Sub-100 Atlantic 10 offensive ratings this season (minutes averaged)

92.7 - Marcus Evans (24.3)
95.8 - KeyShawn Curry (16.5)
70.6 - Vince Williams (15.8)
93.9 - Kel Simms (23)
91.3 - Tre Clark (3.8)

-Obviously Evans struggling offensively has been sorta the story of the season. Had two efficient nights offensively in our last two games (v Davidson, at Rhody), but then posted an extremely bad 19 o-rating last night in the loss to Mason.

Bad A-10 Player Efficiency Ratings

13.2 - Marcus Evans
13.1 - Issac Vann
13.1 - KeShawn Curry
11.4 - Malik Crowfield
9.9 - Kel Simms
4.1- Vince Williams

I think those last two numbers highlight a MAJOR issue for VCU, basically getting bad production from the 4 spot on the floor.

Rhoades has thrown Corey in there, which if you read my article about bigs, is a move I really like. The problem so far has been Corey has gotten in foul trouble early (and some weeeeak calls going against him, like last night) and we've quickly gone away from him at the 4 and have put Kel in and he just hasn't produced at all (and reeeeeally struggles to defend at that position). I also think when we put Corey there next to MSS, ya really gotta make sure those other three on the floor can stroke the three. So it's likely a better combo while Bones is running the point, De'Ri is in and maybe Malik in there too. With Marcus and IV, teams will likely just pack the paint. That's felt like the case early in games. That or we kinda find ourselves packing the paint on...well, ourselves. Basically ya get the two bigs down there then we attempt one of our patented "fadeaway layups"...which I F'ing hate...man do I hate how we finish around the rim.

I suppose the promising news is the young guys are producing better numbers than the seniors. The catch there though is clearly Rhoades isn't confident with where they are at as teammates to play them many minutes or even minutes at all. Will the seniors start clicking? Will we put some new plays in the offense that are better at producing easier buckets for this team? I'm not really confident in either. I suppose we are what we are right now, which is likely an NIT team that hopefully can make a late miracle run to MSG. I have a terrible feeling about these next three games...and after watching how we played against a bad Mason team last night, maybe even the next five games or heck, the remainder of the season.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I’m glad you said it. Wouldn’t be taken as well from regular fans as it is from you. Truth pill right here. 😕
Eh, I don't know that I'd go that far. A good bit of people typically hate what I have to say. But thank you.

Reactions: SWV

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Eh, I don't know that I'd go that far. A good bit of people typically hate what I have to say. But thank you.
And a good bit think the same thing but wouldn’t DARE put it out there. Thanks.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
No offball screens, no movement from the wings, too much dribbling (like the announcer said last night “passing is faster than dribbling.”) I’ll take it a step further and say I hate our defense. It’s statistically good but it affects our offense big time and even worse causes us to be out of position on rebounds hence constantly being out rebounded.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Did the offense regress or did it not improve as much as fans thought it would? Last year’s offense adjusted efficiency was ranked 177 according to Kenpom. This year’s offense adjusted efficiency is currently ranked 107 according to Kenpom.
On the season the offense is statistically a bit better than last season. Unfortunately statistically the defensively is also now worse, which means our adjusted efficiency margin overall is down this year from last (we aren't as good as last year because we're still a mediocre offense but an even worse team defensively).

IN CONFERENCE However...our offense has taken quite the step back. A-10 offensive efficiency of 107 last season (third best in the A-10), down to 103.4 this year (7th). Last season defensively we were a suffocating 87.2 on D (tops in the A-10 by a mile) to now 94, which ranks 3rd in conference. That could be because the A-10 is a good bit better this year than last, but either way, it's a considerable drop.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
On the season the offense is statistically a bit better than last season. Unfortunately statistically the defensively is also now worse, which means our adjusted efficiency margin overall is down this year from last (we aren't as good as last year because we're still a mediocre offense but an even worse team defensively).

IN CONFERENCE However...our offense has taken quite the step back. A-10 offensive efficiency of 107 last season (third best in the A-10), down to 103.4 this year (7th). Last season defensively we were a suffocating 87.2 on D (tops in the A-10 by a mile) to now 94, which ranks 3rd in conference. That could be because the A-10 is a good bit better this year than last, but either way, it's a considerable drop.
Don’t get me wrong, I have said for a while that the offense is a big problem. You just can’t go on long scoring droughts vs quality teams and expect to be able to claw back. That said, I don’t have an answer for what is the solution.