I'll say it: I hate our offense

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Not saying the seniors dislike their teammates, it is coach they stopped playing for. Lethargic and lack of hustle, no other explanation for it.
So your theory is the seniors have stopped playing for the coach who has displayed an irrationally high degree of confidence and loyalty in them....that is except for DJ. Interesting theory.....some might say odd, but definitely interesting 👀

May 4, 2012
Up 7-5 in with 15 minutes to play in the 1st half, Bones and Curry enter the game; Simms had come in at 16:56. Up 11-8, Ward and Crowfield enter the game at 13:35. Mason proceeds to go on a 9-0 run in less than 3 minutes against this 2nd unit. IN the 2nd half, we are down 42-41 with 4 of the 2nd unit guys on the floor with Douglas. Mason goes on an 8-0 run to get it to 49-41.
Got to rotate the 3 bigs better. Cant pull MSS and Douglas together. Roll one out, one in. End up mostly Silva and Douglass

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Wouldn't count on it.
Well, since Bones leads the A-10 in 3-point FG%, I'd say we have one on the roster already. Evans is 10th in the league by the way.

As a team, we are 6th in overall FG%, at 44%. UR is 2nd at 47%. Dayton is light years ahead of everyone at 52%. We'll be fine.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Got to rotate the 3 bigs better. Cant pull MSS and Douglas together. Roll one out, one in. End up mostly Silva and Douglass
I agree with you. I'd go back to Simms starting. I think the idea of Douglas and MSS both starting was that it was supposed to help on the glass. That clearly is not working and Douglas is picking up early fouls way too often since he became a starter.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Well, since Bones leads the A-10 in 3-point FG%, I'd say we have one on the roster already. Evans is 10th in the league by the way.

As a team, we are 6th in overall FG%, at 44%. UR is 2nd at 47%. Dayton is light years ahead of everyone at 52%. We'll be fine.
Proven (good) commodities next year for shooting are Bones, and, well, that's it.

Vince and Curry are proven too, but not in a good way - Curry's one of the worst shooters I've seen VCU give minutes to on the wing in many years. He doesn't even try to shoot anymore, which is an improvement. Vince is a little better than Curry, in that 22% career shooting is better than 17% career shooting.

McCallister (1/3) and Clark (1/6), not enough data.

Bigs, nothing there to speak of, not that we need it from our bigs.

Don't think any of our freshman are thought of as shooters either. At least not in the way that Bones was.

May 4, 2012
I agree with you. I'd go back to Simms starting. I think the idea of Douglas and MSS both starting was that it was supposed to help on the glass. That clearly is not working and Douglas is picking up early fouls way too often since he became a starter.
Well, its new. Has to learn how to do it.
We have to change a lot to fix the rebounding. Nobody is intentionally rebounding. Ball goes up and its drop back to the "pressure". We are not getting scads of turnovers for additional posessions and with so few 2nd chance points we cant win unless we shoot well.
Thats a very unbalanced approach and it hurts us.

Reactions: connell and SWV

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I’m fine with Douglas coming off the bench, but would prefer Vince to start. I know he hasn’t quite blossomed offensively as expected and was held back due to injuries—but he plays with an energy and edge defensively that can make a difference.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Proven (good) commodities next year for shooting are Bones, and, well, that's it.

Vince and Curry are proven too, but not in a good way - Curry's one of the worst shooters I've seen VCU give minutes to on the wing in many years. He doesn't even try to shoot anymore, which is an improvement. Vince is a little better than Curry, in that 22% career shooting is better than 17% career shooting.

McCallister (1/3) and Clark (1/6), not enough data.

Bigs, nothing there to speak of, not that we need it from our bigs.

Don't think any of our freshman are thought of as shooters either. At least not in the way that Bones was.
Guys can improve their shooting, so I'm not too worried about it. As far as the recruits go, I don't pay enough attention to it to have a firm opinion either way. I hear that Ace Baldwin is a really good shooter, but again, I've never seen him play.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009

dayton is at 52% because they lead the nation in 2 pt fg percentage at 62.1 %.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I’m fine with Douglas coming off the bench, but would prefer Vince to start. I know he hasn’t quite blossomed offensively as expected and was held back due to injuries—but he plays with an energy and edge defensively that can make a difference.
I feel like there is a much higher level of Vince than we have seen. The injuries, both off-season shoulders and in-season hand, certainly have hurt his development. He has a good feel for the game. If he can stay injury free, then I think he takes a big leap next season. Also, he's the one guy on our team with an attitude; you know, that swag that ticks off the other team. I think we need that kind of thing.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
dayton is at 52% because they lead the nation in 2 pt fg percentage at 62.1 %.
You type that as if that is some sort of bad thing. More power to them. Get to the rim and score.

By the way, Dayton also leads the A-10 in 3-point FG% at 36.7%, just ahead of Davidson and UR. Crutcher and Watson are #3 and #4, respectively, in 3-point shooting in the A-10. For what it's worth, Bones is #1 in the A-10 and Evans is #10 in the league.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Guys can improve their shooting, so I'm not too worried about it. As far as the recruits go, I don't pay enough attention to it to have a firm opinion either way. I hear that Ace Baldwin is a really good shooter, but again, I've never seen him play.
I've never heard that said about Ace. Seems to me more of a Theus type.