I'll say it: I hate our offense

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
I feel like there is a much higher level of Vince than we have seen. The injuries, both off-season shoulders and in-season hand, certainly have hurt his development. He has a good feel for the game. If he can stay injury free, then I think he takes a big leap next season. Also, he's the one guy on our team with an attitude; you know, that swag that ticks off the other team. I think we need that kind of thing.
I’ve seen Bones with Plentay’ O SWAG. So we’ve got two for next year to lead the Broad St Bullies.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I’m fine with Douglas coming off the bench, but would prefer Vince to start. I know he hasn’t quite blossomed offensively as expected and was held back due to injuries—but he plays with an energy and edge defensively that can make a difference.
Vince is at worst the fourth best guy on the team. He's a perfect small ball starting 4 in our system and is BY FAR our best defender, on ball or off. Getting hurt has set him back on offense, but he's still a better fit as the starting 4 than Kel or Corey. God love both of 'em, but Kel can't guard power forwards and Corey's foul rate is still too high. I can live with him coming off the bench if that's how it has to be for whatever reason, but he should be averaging 20+ minutes.

Apr 19, 2009
Vince is at worst the fourth best guy on the team. He's a perfect small ball starting 4 in our system and is BY FAR our best defender, on ball or off. Getting hurt has set him back on offense, but he's still a better fit as the starting 4 than Kel or Corey. God love both of 'em, but Kel can't guard power forwards and Corey's foul rate is still too high. I can live with him coming off the bench if that's how it has to be for whatever reason, but he should be averaging 20+ minutes.
I don't know about being the "best defender by far" He is coming along, but he doesn't look like he could even handle 20+ minutes a game. I thought he would start from the get go, picking up from last year, you can tell his conditioning took a hit this summer.

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I don't know about being the "best defender by far" He is coming along, but he doesn't look like he could even handle 20+ minutes a game. I thought he would start from the get go, picking up from last year, you can tell his conditioning took a hit this summer.
Clearly he shouldn't have hurt his shoulder or broken his finger. No clue why he decided that was a good idea.

Best defender is up for debate - maybe it would be better to say he has the best instincts on defense of anyone on the team. This season has been strange (never thought DJ would stake a claim in the best defender conversation), but I think if he can get his conditioning right he can be a huge difference maker for the back end of the season and in the conference tournament. Big if. Here's hoping.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
the starting 4 next year.will be mikeal Brown jones. Book it.

Reactions: mrgeode
Feb 14, 2011
His dad was a coach, not just some dad. A bit different.
Being a Dad and a coach watching your kid play at the next level is the worst for all involved. You focus on and watch your kids and less on the team as a whole, you know every strength and weakness. When my son started playing AAU, I found myself being angry at players and coaches even though the team had a great coaching staff, great kids and mostly good parents. It's very easy to be critical and extremely difficult to just sit back and enjoy the moment.

I somewhat understand parents will have their frustrations but there are resources and methods to voice concerns for parents of student athletes. Nothing good will come from parents posting anything remotely negative on social media. Every scholarship should come with free therapy, marriage counseling and support group for athletes parents.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Williams is the one guy I worry about transferring out. I think it is time to get him in the starting line-up.
He has to first prove he can play injury free. Lot's down time at VCU due to injuries, both during the season and in the off-season. Not going to speculate at who might leave, but you do have to look at what's coming in and how it may impact the current roster. Over-recruiting happens all of the time these days.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I’ve seen Bones with Plentay’ O SWAG. So we’ve got two for next year to lead the Broad St Bullies.
SWAG is not what I'm talking about in this case. Bones has swag to be sure. Vince is just a junk yard dog type guy. The guy that the other team wants to punch. We need that type of attitude on the court. Our best teams always had that going for them. The SWAG is important, but that....dog type attitude that Vince brings is vital for us.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
He has to first prove he can play injury free. Lot's down time at VCU due to injuries, both during the season and in the off-season. Not going to speculate at who might leave, but you do have to look at what's coming in and how it may impact the current roster. Over-recruiting happens all of the time these days.
As was said by someone a long time ago: "The best ability is AVAILABILITY."

Reactions: PRock

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
SWAG is not what I'm talking about in this case. Bones has swag to be sure. Vince is just a junk yard dog type guy. The guy that the other team wants to punch. We need that type of attitude on the court. Our best teams always had that going for them. The SWAG is important, but that....dog type attitude that Vince brings is vital for us.
Watch Bones closely and do a little lip reading. He’s chippy, pushes off a bit, knock arm bars down.... he ain’t taking “no stuff!” He talks almost as much smack as Williams did last year, without getting caught a T’d up. ;)