I'm Finally an Alumni!!!

VCUPepBandRules

Elite Member
Big time congrats!!
Finishing my degree took longer, haha. But I swear in hind sight, it was for the best. I went to school for pre physical therapy and couldnt get accepted to the PT program. Then I switched majors to biology (which I hated bc of the technical jargon of upper level science classes) and finally to to Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) after stepping away. At first IDS was a cop out bc I was only taking classes that interested me (business and mid level science courses). But why on earth would someone not take classes that interest them? Anyway, I cant say enough about how VCU allows adults and older students to always come back and keep learning and growing. Now they have an entire department that is designed to let adults that never completed there degree to come back and finish. I love VCU.
It's all about the journey. When I finally transferred to VCU in 2010, I had planned on continuing working on a BS in CS, but the problem I ran into as an older student is that many of the classes I needed were only offered during the day, when I worked. It wasn't until like 3 years ago that the school had enough of me being an undeclared that they threw me into the IDS program. At first, I had no idea what IDS was, but soon found out while talking about it to folks that there are a ton of us IDS grads out there. The cool thing is that with all of my experiences and leadership, I was selected to be one of two student speakers at the department ceremony yesterday (was a big surprise for my family). But frankly, I think the school needs to advertise the program more. For one, people change their minds (or have their path changed for them); and two, it shouldn't feel like a cop out taking classes you enjoy. If VCU were to broadcast this more, I think the retention rate and overall happiness of the student body would rise...

RESRam

Insider
I'm Class of '73 ... only one older Ramnation member that I know of in terms of graduation date ... During my four years undergrad, the Rams' best five would have been Jabo Wilkins, Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris, Greg McDougald and Dave Edwards ... I'd put that quintet up against any others from four year period.
I was in the same class BH!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I'm Class of '73 ... only one older Ramnation member that I know of in terms of graduation date ... During my four years undergrad, the Rams' best five would have been Jabo Wilkins, Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris, Greg McDougald and Dave Edwards ... I'd put that quintet up against any others from four year period.
My dad was class on ‘70. Unfortunately, he’s no longer on Ramnation.

Congrats @VCUPepBandRules.

It's all about the journey. When I finally transferred to VCU in 2010, I had planned on continuing working on a BS in CS, but the problem I ran into as an older student is that many of the classes I needed were only offered during the day, when I worked. It wasn't until like 3 years ago that the school had enough of me being an undeclared that they threw me into the IDS program. At first, I had no idea what IDS was, but soon found out while talking about it to folks that there are a ton of us IDS grads out there. The cool thing is that with all of my experiences and leadership, I was selected to be one of two student speakers at the department ceremony yesterday (was a big surprise for my family). But frankly, I think the school needs to advertise the program more. For one, people change their minds (or have their path changed for them); and two, it shouldn't feel like a cop out taking classes you enjoy. If VCU were to broadcast this more, I think the retention rate and overall happiness of the student body would rise...
My wife was the coordinator of that program until retirement.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Kinda Basketball related, since I've been leading the Peppas in cheers for 11 of the past 13 seasons (followed my first year, and there was that whole covid thing), but after 12 years at VCU, I've finally finished my degree! But don't worry, as an employee I'll keep doing my thing for years to come ;)

Let's hear it for all the other grads, and Lets Go VCU!!!!
giphy.gif