Is it too early .........for the 20-21 starting line-up?

MrVCU - 6thRam

Top Member
Insider
Apr 29, 2009
Bones will definitely slide over to the 2 guard spot and I hope Ace is as good as expected and starts right away. Clark will be a great backup option at point. The 2 big lineup worked great against Spiders at home and will be considered. Williams is undersized but when healthy adds toughness and good court vision.

Ace
Bones
Watkins
Williams
MSS

LOTS of depth and options, think we go 11-12 deep regularly

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
I admire the optimism, but I’m very doubtful we will see any freshman starters until we‘ve played a few games.

Bones
Santos-Silva
Corey Douglas
Vince Williams
Keshawn Curry

note: assumes of course all are back, history tells us someone is leaving. Since we haven’t yet heard about anyone entering the transfer portal though, they’ll have to be over-recruited first.

Reactions: Newboy

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I admire the optimism, but I’m very doubtful we will see any freshman starters until we‘ve played a few games.

Bones
Santos-Silva
Corey Douglas
Vince Williams
Keshawn Curry

note: assumes of course all are back, history tells us someone is leaving. Since we haven’t yet heard about anyone entering the transfer portal though, they’ll have to be over-recruited first.
I agree with you generally, but it sure seems like Ace may be as good as advertised. If he is then he'll be starting by the end of the year (which I realize isn't the same thing as being a day one starter). Even if he takes a while to come along, I really like Trey at the 1 with Bones at the 2.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I agree with you generally, but it sure seems like Ace may be as good as advertised. If he is then he'll be starting by the end of the year (which I realize isn't the same thing as being a day one starter). Even if he takes a while to come along, I really like Trey at the 1 with Bones at the 2.
Or Bones at the 1 and McAllister at the 2. Jarren is not afraid of anyone in the paint and not afraid to bang with anyone. He's a junk yard dog that loves to drive to the basket and people should not be sleeping on him next year. Especially, if he develops an outside shot this summer.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I don't know, I would rather watch ally-oops to Ward. Just the style of play that i enjoy watching. Again, I started the thread to see the line-up combos that folks would come up with.
MSS starts, Bones, most likely Ace (my friends tell me he is a monster), I've been occupied at work the last couple of days. If Curry is around he gets some shine, same iwth Williams.

I'll look at other threads to see if anything has changed. If nothing has changed that's my 5.

Nov 28, 2018
I'll give it a shot.

1.Bones/Baldwin/Clark
2.Curry/Banks
3.McAllister/Watkins
4.MSS/Williams/MBJ
5.Ward/Douglas/(final scholly)

Bet me I'm wrong. I, of course, will not agree to the bet.

Feb 3, 2011
@Darbie I agree with your top 5. I think the key is more on Curry though. Man if he can just take that next step and be consistent, a lot of the year will ride on him being a strong 2 and helping Bones switch back and forth. He is now a junior so its time to take that next step and think it can happen with a lot more playing time. Love to see Vince at the 3 but I know how our small ball is and Vince is not the best outside shooter to say it nicely so prob the 4. He used Douglas and MSS together at the same time so may do that a little but with not a lot of big backups, prob changing MSS in with Douglas like the usual. Little worried about the SF position(weird usually we have a bunch of guys that can play the SF) but hopefully Jarren can take that next step.

Reactions: Dabrie
Nov 4, 2011
1. Ace, Tre
2. Bones, Key, Banks
3. Jamir, Jarren
4. Vince, MBJ
5. MSS, Corey, Has

Everything I've seen leads me to believe this freshman class will contribute more than any class we've seen. Last year's class certainly did but that was out of necessity due to injury. I think this class will have a more profound impact than most people are expecting.

Ace is day 1 starter, I honestly think he came here partially under that pretense.

This freshman class is the most physically ready we've ever seen. They've all played at very high levels with about as much pressure you can have in high school b-ball at some of the countries best, nationally ranked programs. That's not to say that D-1 basketball isn't another big step, but I think it's very possible Ace and Jamir are day 1 starters and MBJ is coming off the bench within the first 2-3 subs. On top of that, I think Josh Banks is going to surprise some people, if he can shoot well he is going to take over some serious upper class minutes.

We'll see what happens with that 5th spot, hopefully a GT with some experience. Shooting looks like an achilles heel (again) for this team. I'm never against a physically imposing, hard rebounding big, but maybe a shooter wouldn't hurt. Bones is going to have to carry a lot of our offense next year if we don't develop some other options to stretch the floor in the offseason.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
@Darbie I agree with your top 5. I think the key is more on Curry though. Man if he can just take that next step and be consistent, a lot of the year will ride on him being a strong 2 and helping Bones switch back and forth. He is now a junior so its time to take that next step and think it can happen with a lot more playing time. Love to see Vince at the 3 but I know how our small ball is and Vince is not the best outside shooter to say it nicely so prob the 4. He used Douglas and MSS together at the same time so may do that a little but with not a lot of big backups, prob changing MSS in with Douglas like the usual. Little worried about the SF position(weird usually we have a bunch of guys that can play the SF) but hopefully Jarren can take that next step.
One consideration is we really don’t know what Vince’s ceiling is with respect to shooting from 3. Back to back summers of shoulder surgery and recovery have likely affected his shot and certainly limited any opportunity to practice. Maybe third year is the charm—he was apparently a pretty good shooter in HS.

Reactions: mrgeode

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Too early to tell, bound to have a couple kids leave in the next couple of months. But here's my hope

Bones
GT Shooter
Vince (if he sticks around)
Watkins
MSS

All I know is we don't have dick for shooting coming back next year so we better hope some of the freshman are shooters or we're in for another disappointing year.

Reactions: Newboy and Ramball