Is it too early .........for the 20-21 starting line-up?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I hope coach learned that starting 4 Seniors and 1 Junior doesn’t work. Don’t be so loyal. The best player should play!!!
Starting 4 seniors and 1 junior can, and does, work if you have the right players. JD Barnett's 1984-85 team started at least 3 seniors and a junior. Shaka's 2010-11 team started 4 seniors and a junior, and went to the Final Four. This year's group was not the right group. If Coach Rhoades learned anything, I hope he learned that sometimes you have to put loyalty to the side and adjust lineups to get the maximum performance out of the team as a whole.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I rewatched the LSU game while I was working this morning (rough job these days). I really hope Vince can stay healthy and get lots of minutes next year. He was great that game.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@mrgeode exactly! And another great game against Dayton. If he stays, his setbacks end, and he gets in better shape, he'll be one of our best players. His shot will improve.

Reactions: mrgeode

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@ColonelRam he kind of reminds me of UVA's/ISU's Mariol Shayok without the consistent shot. If he gets that down, he'll be a force.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Heart
Ace
Bones
Williams
MBJ
MSS

Realistic
Bones
Clark
Williams/Watkins
Douglas/Williams
MSS
Given what we know so far, and given that I'm the most optimistic about our newcomers since Shaka's last class that decommitted, here's what I personally want the makeup of VCU basketball to be next season and going forward:

3-out 2-in offense with a blend of 4-out 1-in.

Plug in any two of our PGs to be primary ballhandlers at most times. Two PG system. Adjust as needed. Start <insert wing here> at the 3, and bring in another to spell the 2 at times.

Run more plays to get our new guys open shots. Mix it up, make it hard for opposing defenses to key on anyone. Fall back to one-on-one iso ball in crucial situations, and depending on who's hot.

MBJ has a D1 body already, and has plenty of time to get even more swoley. Depending on how fast his play on the court matches his body, he can be a legit stretch 4, something we've missed for years. He can run the court, hit 3s, and has somewhat of an inside game. That would add a great wrinkle to our fluidity offensively. And I have the utmost faith in him being a monster at shot blocking and rebounding. So if he's good defensively, he'll be on the court a ton regardless.

We have enough bigs already to play more big lineups without worrying about fouls as much. Start big out the gate, bully teams to oblivion, adjust to small as a change of pace, hopefully not as needed. Make constant small ball a VCU memory. It will better prepare us for tourney games going forward. Plenty of opportunities for two-big combinations as long as we stay healthy. Can't wait to see MBJ and Ward out there together blocking errrbody's shots (without fouling).

Still play Havoc defense, but be more flexible, as we will have the size, speed, and length to do it. That means focusing on half-court man-to-man as much as the press, especially focusing on being able to guard your man straight up and do better at preventing drives to the hoop, and help as needed and still recover to your own man quickly. Even better, switch against almost everything if the newcomers can guard multiple positions. That will make our defense absolutely suffocating if we get rebounds too.

Regardless of what we do, I expect a ton of spectacular athletic plays mixed with boneheaded plays next season. We just can't panic when those boneheaded plays happen or if they cost us some games.

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanlamb

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
a

Given what we know so far, and given that I'm the most optimistic about our newcomers since Shaka's last class that decommitted, here's what I personally want the makeup of VCU basketball to be next season and going forward:

3-out 2-in offense with a blend of 4-out 1-in.

Plug in any two of our PGs to be primary ballhandlers at most times. Two PG system. Adjust as needed. Start <insert wing here> at the 3, and bring in another to spell the 2 at times.

Run more plays to get our new guys open shots. Mix it up, make it hard for opposing defenses to key on anyone. Fall back to one-on-one iso ball in crucial situations, and depending on who's hot.

MBJ has a D1 body already, and has plenty of time to get even more swoley. Depending on how fast his play on the court matches his body, he can be a legit stretch 4, something we've missed for years. He can run the court, hit 3s, and has somewhat of an inside game. That would add a great wrinkle to our fluidity offensively. And I have the utmost faith in him being a monster at shot blocking and rebounding. So if he's good defensively, he'll be on the court a ton regardless.

We have enough bigs already to play more big lineups without worrying about fouls as much. Start big out the gate, bully teams to oblivion, adjust to small as a chance of pace, hopefully not as needed. Make constant small ball a VCU memory. It will better prepare us for tourney games going forward. Plenty of opportunities for two-big combinations as long as we stay healthy. Can't wait to see MBJ and Ward out there together blocking errrbody's shots (without fouling).

Still play Havoc defense, but be more flexible, as we will have the size, speed, and length to do it. That means focusing on half-court man-to-man as much as the press, especially focusing on being able to guard your man straight up and do better at preventing drives to the hoop, and help as needed and still recover to your own man quickly. Even better, switch against almost everything if the newcomers can guard multiple positions. That will make our defense absolutely suffocating if we get rebounds too.

Regardless of what we do, I expect a ton of spectacular athletic plays mixed with boneheaded plays next season. We just can't panic when those boneheaded plays happen or if they cost us some games.
great post....especially the last sentence...

Reactions: LQuarles

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
All I know is that for any freshman to step in and start day 1, they will need to be an absolute NBA talent one day, or the team has to be a little down. I can see some playing significant mins, and I think at times one may start. Look at bones and DJ tho, even Larrier. Some of the most regarded freshman ever and they were best off the bench for the first month or 2. Experience is really a valuable tool more times than not

Reactions: BradRamFan

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@WI.Ram10 I think a couple of our rising freshmen have that potential, but I also think there's a lot of wiggle room between "future NBA talent" and "good D1 freshman". Many teams start a freshman or two out the gate that aren't all the way at "NBA potential". Also, Bones, DJ and Larrier were string beans coming in. Our newcomers don't have that problem (Banks is debatable). Larrier also had a hard time playing tough because of his size. All our newcomers have already played against much bigger guys consistently and showed they are ready and (most importantly) willing to bang with them. I'll be a bit surprised if anyone really has that "deer in headlights" look when they step on the court next season. They all seem to have that killer mentality.

Reactions: ColonelRam

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
All I know is that for any freshman to step in and start day 1, they will need to be an absolute NBA talent one day, or the team has to be a little down. I can see some playing significant mins, and I think at times one may start. Look at bones and DJ tho, even Larrier. Some of the most regarded freshman ever and they were best off the bench for the first month or 2. Experience is really a valuable tool more times than not
We really haven't a freshman big with complete offensive game(ala trey mitchell) since...well probably since the late 60's or early 70's
...I know people are gonna say special "k" but most of his game was based on his superman like athleticism.

Until now..Sadeen is the first freshman big that i.can remember who has the potential to step and be the offensive threat at the 4 positon we've missed since skeen.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
We really haven't a freshman big with complete offensive game(ala trey mitchell) since...well probably since the late 60's or early 70's
...I know people are gonna say special "k" but most of his game was based on his superman like athleticism.

Until now..Sadeen is the first freshman big that i.can remember who has the potential to step and be the offensive threat at the 4 positon we've missed since skeen.
Id love it, and I know he played against the best in his last year IMG prep with Armando, but man, the college game is soo different.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Fairly recent impact and/or starter/partial starter frosh from Day 1 (or close to it): BA Walker, JPR, Maynor, Nick George, Brad Burgess, Joey Rodriguez, Larry Sanders, Jordan Burgess, Samir Doughty, etc.

Tons of examples all across the nation of freshmen starting and having a significant impact for Top 50-75 programs. Go check the profiles of the 250-375 starters in those programs. History, even VCU history, is littered with them. Some kids are just ready from the get-go. We’ve even had a bunch that were probably ready to go from Day One but were blocked by an unusually high quality logjam at their position.

The 2020-21 opportunity to start and or play big minutes is wide open, more so than I can ever remember.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Fairly recent impact and/or starter/partial starter frosh from Day 1 (or close to it): BA Walker, JPR, Maynor, Nick George, Brad Burgess, Joey Rodriguez, Larry Sanders, Jordan Burgess, Samir Doughty, etc.

Tons of examples all across the nation of freshmen starting and having a significant impact for Top 50-75 programs. Go check the profiles of the 250-375 starters in those programs. History, even VCU history, is littered with them. Some kids are just ready from the get-go. We’ve even had a bunch that were probably ready to go from Day One but were blocked by an unusually high quality logjam at their position.

The 2020-21 opportunity to start and or play big minutes is wide open, more so than I can ever remember.
Youre right. Very recent bias.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The transfer portal and NBA draft will have a lot to say regarding the A10 standings next year. A-10 schools who are minimizing their losses through these two avenues are moving up in the standings as we speak.