Is it too early .........for the 20-21 starting line-up?

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Can't see Douglas starting or getting heavy minutes. Douglas is just fine as a back up, and needed. Plays steady defense, but isn't very productive at all. Ward will get better every month as he gets used to playing, he's raw but has a lot of upside. He's only been playing ball a few years, Douglass is 24, has been averaging 12 min a game, 3 pt 3rb on a team that really needed help inside, over 2 seasons.

Per 40 min

Ward 16.3 pt 11 rb 3.4 blk. 63 FG%. 69 FT%

Douglas 11.8 pt 8.2 rb. 3.1 blk. 49 FG%. 58 FT%

Ward is not only better now, he will continue to get better with playing time. Let him play though growing pains, will be a game changer later in the year. With Douglas, what you've seen is most likely what you will get.
Posts like this are what happens when you give people access to advanced stats without context.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Does it matter what we label them , 4 or 5. If you gave VCU Mark Eaton he would be fouling guards 35’ from the basket.
I don't see the connection. According to Mike Rhoades, Levi isnt a stiff, he said that Levi is athletic enough to play in this system. As far as I can tell most of playing rotation committed stupid fouls away from the basket, it just wasnt from the center position.

May 1, 2009
At this point is it somewhat safe to say the roster is stable? Hope so
line up thoughts:
Ace. He’s a leader and has skills we have not seen in awhile
Bones. We’ve only seen the beginning
Williams. So hope he’s healthy. If not McAllister
Ward. His defense will come around and he now has time with team
Stockard. He was good for 16 mins playing time at KSU. This will translate well here. He will be better fed by our guards.
Douglas needs to be healthy. We’ll see. Curry and Clark will see extensive time as will Banks who has biggest upside out side of Ace as freshman IMO.
This season will be a reverse of last season, I think. Not good through December and rocking in February and March.
Of course if there is season....

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@ramin75 not disagreeing at all, just curious why you say Banks has the biggest upside behind Ace. You could very well be right. I'm just trying to get more discussion going.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
All I hope is that Mike learned from his mistakes last year and doesn't dole out minutes solely based on seniority. Hoping for the exact opposite, actually.
Big MR guy but this is my biggest gripe. Lets hope both our wish comes true

Reactions: mrgeode

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
@ramin75 not disagreeing at all, just curious why you say Banks has the biggest upside behind Ace. You could very well be right. I'm just trying to get more discussion going.
I agree with the sentiment. Banks is athletically freakish. He is a good student of the game as well. All of the others have been in higher level systems and currently have a slight jump on banks but somewhere between late sophomore year and early junior year, watch out.

Reactions: LQuarles
Mar 1, 2015
Posts like this are what happens when you give people access to advanced stats without context.
You could add some context, please.

Dougles low PT - despite needing another big and having VW hurt all year? Plays back up minutes, because he is, well, a back up.
Lack of protection - the only FGs he converts are when he is wide open/unguarded ? In his 3 starts he averaged 2 PTS and >2 RBS. Those things might have something to do with having absolutely no touch, no post move, and is slow.
Free throws - Because He doesn't shoot many? Well because when he shoots, there isn't a defender around to foul him. And his career FT % of 55 is the exact same as the worst free throw shooter in VCU history per popular opinion, MS Silva.

Wards productivity inflated because he got some garbage time,? yeah. High FG % because they are all stick backs and dunks, yes.
But when he played in an DI basketball game, he showed he could be productive despite being raw. Has a lot of athletic ability and potential.
The other guy has showed little over 2 seasons, and no improvement in any aspect. Huge surprise, and unrated recruit who went to Rice who
MR brought in as a place holder because he didn't have a lot of options. And people want to start this guy? Why? What has he done to
warrant that confidence? Douglas is a serviceable backup in the A10, Ward is raw, but could be one of the better bigs in the league at some
point. His skill set and ability last year was basically the same as Larry Sanders as a freshmen (maybe a little better?), another guy who had just
basically started playing basketball.

I don't even see it is a question that Ward should get the minutes and every opportunity to see where it can go.

May 1, 2009
I think he is still growing in tune with his body. This is just pure speculation, but sooner or later one of these guys will be another Calvin Duncan, Treveon Graham, or samir Doughty. Not referring to the physical characteristic, but would love to see a scorer of consistency. Banks? Gosh that would be nice. It’s always great when you make the opponent pay dearly for double teams like we saw on Hyland as his season progressed.
Watkins is a 6 7 point forward. Self described. Would be great to see
Brown Jones looks to be a solid contributor too. How much more up side? He’ll see a lot of minutes regardless. Would love to see the second coming of Kendrick Warren or Phil Stinnie, too. Sorry I‘m off the deep end now.
Hey, with no baseball this is my only sports release.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
I think curry is best served as a bench energy guy, if he isn’t starting. That was my favorite role on teams. Those guys may not start, but play the same amount of mins. If curry improves as much from year 2 to 3 as he did from 1 to 2, he could be very useful.
My best bet for game 1 is:

Bones
Curry
Vince
levi
Corey

game 10:
Ace
Bones
Vince
MBJ
Corey/Levi

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
You could add some context, please.

Dougles low PT - despite needing another big and having VW hurt all year? Plays back up minutes, because he is, well, a back up.
Lack of protection - the only FGs he converts are when he is wide open/unguarded ? In his 3 starts he averaged 2 PTS and >2 RBS. Those things might have something to do with having absolutely no touch, no post move, and is slow.
Free throws - Because He doesn't shoot many? Well because when he shoots, there isn't a defender around to foul him. And his career FT % of 55 is the exact same as the worst free throw shooter in VCU history per popular opinion, MS Silva.

Wards productivity inflated because he got some garbage time,? yeah. High FG % because they are all stick backs and dunks, yes.
But when he played in an DI basketball game, he showed he could be productive despite being raw. Has a lot of athletic ability and potential.
The other guy has showed little over 2 seasons, and no improvement in any aspect. Huge surprise, and unrated recruit who went to Rice who
MR brought in as a place holder because he didn't have a lot of options. And people want to start this guy? Why? What has he done to
warrant that confidence? Douglas is a serviceable backup in the A10, Ward is raw, but could be one of the better bigs in the league at some
point. His skill set and ability last year was basically the same as Larry Sanders as a freshmen (maybe a little better?), another guy who had just
basically started playing basketball.

I don't even see it is a question that Ward should get the minutes and every opportunity to see where it can go.
Hey, I'm a proponent of statistical analysis and advanced stats, but it also leads to a lot of cherry-picking and tunnel vision, especially in situations like this. People take small sample sizes and extrapolate to the nth degree. It happens on this board a lot. Hason has taken a total of 16 free throws in his college career. Is that a reasonable sample size to know what kind of a shooter he is? Probably 27 of his 30 field goals this year were dunks on lobs or putbacks.

In addition, Corey brings a lot of the same defensive qualities that Mo did, which are not easily quantified, but are obvious to coaches. Corey's defense was hugely valuable in 2018-19. I love Hason. Great kid, terrific athleticism. I think he's got a bright future. He adds a valuable wrinkle with his ability to get behind the defense and catch lobs. Has an opportunity to be an elite shot blocker. Certainly fair to say he's more athletic than Corey. But he was also a much different player in March than he was in November, and he was also often leveraged in situations where he could be successful. Corey was also battling that foot issue all season. It would probably be more fair to use his 2018-19 per/40 if you're going to go that route. To just pull last year's per 40 numbers and declare one guy is a better basketball player than the other is problematic at best, in my opinion. I don't think it's nearly that black and white. Either way, they both stand to get minutes moving forward. Hason will have plenty of opportunities.

May 4, 2012
Hey, I'm a proponent of statistical analysis and advanced stats, but it also leads to a lot of cherry-picking and tunnel vision, especially in situations like this. People take small sample sizes and extrapolate to the nth degree. It happens on this board a lot. Hason has taken a total of 16 free throws in his college career. Is that a reasonable sample size to know what kind of a shooter he is? Probably 27 of his 30 field goals this year were dunks on lobs or putbacks.

In addition, Corey brings a lot of the same defensive qualities that Mo did, which are not easily quantified, but are obvious to coaches. Corey's defense was hugely valuable in 2018-19. I love Hason. Great kid, terrific athleticism. I think he's got a bright future. He adds a valuable wrinkle with his ability to get behind the defense and catch lobs. Has an opportunity to be an elite shot blocker. Certainly fair to say he's more athletic than Corey. But he was also a much different player in March than he was in November, and he was also often leveraged in situations where he could be successful. Corey was also battling that foot issue all season. It would probably be more fair to use his 2018-19 per/40 if you're going to go that route. To just pull last year's per 40 numbers and declare one guy is a better basketball player than the other is problematic at best, in my opinion. I don't think it's nearly that black and white. Either way, they both stand to get minutes moving forward. Hason will have plenty of opportunities.
Yes Douglas had injuries last year. But he's a senior now and you will recall Evan struggled to overcome his injuries.
But Stockard is a seasoned big making him the best 5 we have. Ward can be very productive offensively while Stockard can own the paint. And Brown can do much the same at 4 while Douglas does the dirty work off the bench.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
We already have an example. Curry was healthy all season, and lost his minutes to freshmen over the course of it. I think the loyalty to the older players was just one of his ways to hold the team together with duct tape and gum and not make things even worse.
I am going to have to disagree with you there, The only non senior to play more Mins per was Bones. Curry played over 500 min last year. Tre, Jarren, and Hason combined just broke 400 in total. Curry was 1 of only 5 players to play in all 31 games last year, Curry only had two games all year that he played less than 10 minutes. He finished the season with 25,31 and 14 minute games so that example does not fly ;)

Reactions: LQuarles