It’s time to start talking about Mike Rhoades’ future at VCU.

rammad90

Elite Member
I believe those were Instagram stories, and I also feel like it has been a bit blown out of proportion. Maybe he did have a bad experience or two in Richmond but I doubt if it was so bad that he felt he needed to get out of town. He is now playing for a coach that coach Rhoades has a pretty good relationship with. I doubt if that would be the case if there were a lot of ill will there. That pretty much just leaves playing time.
This seems more reasonable. People dont like to hear it but being an African American male in Richmond can be tough. However, it is nothing like it was in the 80's.

Regardless, I doubt MBJ left Richmond for that progressive town of Greensboro because he just couldnt take Richmond and its views any. more.
Maybe just maybe basketball had a bit to do with his decisions. I'm just saying.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
Tiger Woods took the same approach tbh (Despite his father’s pleas.).
Tiger was never considered Black by Black folk, we wrote him off when he coined the term CaBlAsian. Or at best we gave him a pass as he was different. However, even Tiger has stood up more than Mike. Tiger is just a different guy. Mike wasnt a "CaBlAsain" and he knew the struggle.

Mike doesnt get a pass.

But hey enough about politics and sport. That is best left for another day. But I will leave you with this: Fmike.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
I miss Jackson Ward….their content was one of a kind….kind of the B1tches Brew of RamNation
I was getting ready to say that. Their stuff wasn't all good and wasn't all bad but it was always 😮. Definitely miss Marcus posting. It's actually pretty rare that any of our VRN four fathers post any more. Rusty Shackleford was pretty cool as well. We need one of those internet gangsters to search some of these people and find out what they are up to.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Gotta admit that I get a little triggered when people tell others when to "move on" (hopefully I don't do that often). Not sure about being a gatekeeper for what others are interested in discussing unless it is totally off topic or inappropriate for the thread (and even that's subjective).

GarseIronjade

Elite Member
Gotta admit that I get a little triggered when people tell others when to "move on" (hopefully I don't do that often). Not sure about being a gatekeeper for what others are interested in discussing unless it is totally off topic or inappropriate for the thread (and even that's subjective).

You should be triggered by attempts to squash an interesting conversation.

There's nothing wrong with the last four pages of this thread. In fact, I see posts for forgiving former players and understanding their circumstances. It is perfectly normal for VCU fans to be curious about a talented team that went sideways and its human nature to speculate.

Don't be manipulated into believing we have done anything shameful.

rammad90

Elite Member
You should be triggered by attempts to squash an interesting conversation.

There's nothing wrong with the last four pages of this thread. In fact, I see posts for forgiving former players and understanding their circumstances. It is perfectly normal for VCU fans to be curious about a talented team that went sideways and its human nature to speculate.

Don't be manipulated into believing we have done anything shameful.
I dont think there is anything wrong with being curious about a talented team that went sideways. You are 100% correct.

However, we do know that Marcus Evans was seriously hurt but people bashed him. 3X First Team All Conference and 1X Conference POY and a player who had scored almost 1800 in 3 years over 300 assists, and over 150 steals leading to his injured senior year. A guy who while hurt still dropped 19 on Davidson for the teams last win. Ironically the played the same Davidson team a week or so later in the A10 tournament when Evans wasnt in the starting lineup and VCU lost for the last time that season.

Jenkins had a breakdown of sorts and yes there was a lot of stuff going on in the background.

However, I do think there is something wrong with bashing a deadman, and continually bashing his family to include his son. We've done that and we've had our pound of flesh. That we must let go.

GarseIronjade

Elite Member
I dont think there is anything wrong with being curious about a talented team that went sideways. You are 100% correct.

However, we do know that Marcus Evans was seriously hurt but people bashed him. 3X First Team All Conference and 1X Conference POY and a player who had scored almost 1800 in 3 years over 300 assists, and over 150 steals leading to his injured senior year. A guy who while hurt still dropped 19 on Davidson for the teams last win. Ironically the played the same Davidson team a week or so later in the A10 tournament when Evans wasnt in the starting lineup and VCU lost for the last time that season.

Jenkins had a breakdown of sorts and yes there was a lot of stuff going on in the background.

However, I do think there is something wrong with bashing a deadman, and continually bashing his family to include his son. We've done that and we've had our pound of flesh. That we must let go.

First of all, I totally agree with MSS. He's a fellow Ram, simple as that. His last tweet about VCU was a compliment to Shriver after his big game at Dayton and any hard feelings from the past should be let go. I wish him and his family peace and happiness.

That said, this thread is a great place to express it and I have not seen any negative MSS comments, did I miss one? I did see your post about him and many may have learned something from this very discussion about MSS that will improve their opinion of him. Agreed?

I also agree w/you that Marcus deserves our gratitude for playing his heart out for VCU. This discussion has not harmed him.

My point is that there has not been excessive bashing of players or anyone at all in the last four pages. There has certainly been nothing shameful, and I don't appreciate the attempt to pretend it was.

Reactions: DNB

DNB

Elite Member
Finance, I can tell you that Mike took a side. He chose money over justice for those who look like him and dont have his platform. Lebron is admired because he does stand up dollars be damned. Guess what he has made money.

Mike wouldnt have been so lucky, the media would have destroyed his chances to be a billionaire. See what they did to Kareem. He wanted to be an NBA HC, nope. He wanted to be a college HC, nope. He wanted a larger presence nope, and not many endorsements. Kareem didnt play in the olympics, spoke out about injustice and he paid the price. Mike a southern kid wasnt going through that.
Actually I would argue that LeBron is calculated in his responses. I could rundown the list of items but take his backing down on the Chinese crackdown on Hong Kong or his failure to address the treatment of Uighurs (what I would call genocide) at the prompting of a fellow athlete. Some times speaking out is just as calculated around money as staying silent.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
My point is that there has not been excessive bashing of players or anyone at all in the last four pages. There has certainly been nothing shameful, and I don't appreciate the attempt to pretend it was.
Yes, years old facebook group drama is irrelevant and talking about the talk about Marcus father and his supposed VCU secrets going to the grave with him we'll "unfortunately" never know because he died is some downright filthy stuff. People raise their objections to any sort of discussion here especially if they magically blanket it as "political". I really don't give a crap if someone objects to me having issues with continuing to drag the name and legacy of a very dedicated father through the mud. I had such a father who would viciously defend me with everything he had, who had to when and where it came to my brother and I. I knew Marcus' father, he was my friend, he had close friends and supporters inside this program who also use this site. There are many out there and on this site who would most likely agree with my asking people to leave his family alone and stop belittling and/or continuing to use his father as an object of forum amusement.

DNB

Elite Member
I have no idea about some of the comments, but discussing in general an underachieving team is fair game and won't end anytime soon. People still tell stories about Noe, Kirk, Pollio, etc. The thing is I think Rhoades did a heckuva job in the previous year and came close to maximizing their ability. Aside from Evans, no one on that teams had a shot at the NBA (and Evans was more likely to play in Europe). They played as a team, significantly improved their d from the previous year, and stayed healthy until the tournament. The following year imo was a perfect storm-Deri had problems (have not heard anything about him and hope he is doing well), Evans was never fully recovered from injury, and apparently some personal issues behind the scenes. To me though too many members of the team started playing for themselves. Rhoades seems to have developed a team this year that is much like his second year-Deloach has games where he gets his points, but even if he does not his d can impact the game, Jamir is putting it altogether, Shriver playing beyond my wildest comprehension, and the list goes on.

Yes, years old facebook group drama is irrelevant and talking about the talk about Marcus father and his supposed VCU secrets going to the grave with him we'll "unfortunately" never know because he died is some downright filthy stuff. People raise their objections to any sort of discussion here especially if they magically blanket it as "political". I really don't give a crap if someone objects to me having issues with continuing to drag the name and legacy of a very dedicated father through the mud. I had such a father who would viciously defend me with everything he had, who had to when and where it came to my brother and I. I knew Marcus' father, he was my friend, he had close friends and supporters inside this program who also use this site. There are many out there and on this site who would most likely agree with my asking people to leave his family alone and stop belittling and/or continuing to use his father as an object of forum amusement.
Perhaps you could have told your friend to stop publicly trashing our university, teams, players on it, and coaches. That’s cool you were friends with him which shows you are hardly impartial and emotional invested. Doesn’t change how he acted toward VCU and everyone affiliated with it. That’s not dirty. It’s fact he threatened to expose VCU as he called it. Nothing about this is bashing. Some of you need to look up a dictionary. Literally everything stated is something he actually did. No one is making crap up to insult him. So while it may upset you it’s not a low blow, a cheap shot, downright filthy, etc. They are just facts. Period.