It’s time to start talking about Mike Rhoades’ future at VCU.

Mistachill

Elite Member
You're absolutely right. There are challenges and question marks each and every season. However, I never said that you can't evaluate Rhoades, or anyone, unless there are perfect conditions. I never insinuated as much either. I haven't seen anyone else say that, but it's very possible I missed it. Pointing out that a team is missing it's most important piece isn't an excuse, but it's a fact. I didn't think we should lose to Wagner at home regardless of who played for us. We did, and it sucked!

In the very specific case I mentioned of last season, all I pointed out is that my expectations were tempered a bit by listening to the head coach say that the team is going to have to go through some things without Ace. That has nothing to do with evaluating Mike's job. It had to do with me paying attention to the coach and understanding that with a freshman PG (Nunn), we'd struggle early on. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as evaluation, feel free to do it under any condition. The fact is that if one evaluates Rhoades without Ace last season, the logical conclusion is that the team got better. See the team's play against Baylor and UConn, as compared to Wagner and Chattanooga. Improvement. Doesn't mean it was perfect; it wasn't, but the team got better and that's a credit to the staff and players. This season's team has gotten better. That's a credit to the players (players play) and the coaches (coaches coach).
But HBK, just about every time someone offers a criticism for the results under MR's watch an excuse/reason is offered to explain it away. Last year when our injuries were offered as the excuse for not making the tournament I shared that Houston had just as many and more impactful injuries and they kept it rolling to the sweet 16 (edit, actually the elite eight). Of course (not by you) I was told that was different.

Of course, we're going to withhold judgement until the end of the season, but "getting better" is meaningless (in my opinion) if it doesn't result in "getting to the dance."

Last edited:

Mistachill

Elite Member
I don't understand the thinking that a new coach would be able to meet the "expectations" of many posters right away the 1st year or 2nd year. There would be many factors involved. I expect many players would transfer, recruits would change commitment, and it would have to start over. Is there a P5 coach who would switch to VCU without being fired? Is there a non-P5 coach who would choose VCU over a P5 job? So my question is where are we going to get a coach that will meet everyone’s expectations right away. I was frustrated that we were not playing well early as there were just too many bad plays on O & D. I yelled at TV many times with WTF are they doing. IMHO – the coaches and players were out of sync. It appears that this has improved. Beat g-moo tonight. Go Rams Go.
I'm not sure anybody actually said "expectations" would be met in year 1 or 2. The better question is would expectations be met by year 6?

Who_Dat_Ninja

Elite Member
I'm not sure anybody actually said "expectations" would be met in year 1 or 2. The better question is would expectations be met by year 6?
I think the point is that just firing a coach doesn’t make u better

If u rebuild - who knows how long… if at all you will see results - the new coach may not work out at all

I get it - ppl weren’t happy how last year ended - but sometimes you’re going to lose some bad games - it happens to every coach and every team

But MR has stabilized this team, really started building a decent recruiting pipeline

We’v never had back to back players go to the nba draft

We’ve made the tournament almost 50% of the time he’s been here

I’m all for criticism when it’s due and all about holding MR accountable when he deserves it

But what was the argument for firing him? Bc we lost a few games? Bc our offense was lacking? We’ve been running the same offense for like 10 years lol

We were getting open shots in the beginning of the year - but guys were missing. I’d never seen a team miss so many point blank shots in my life… but shots are falling now

It just doesn’t seem like the criticism was based on any actual good argument for MR being a bad coach and that we’d be better off rebuilding

Anyways - good win tonight! Hope we keep it rolling

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
If you see someone brave enough to show their face and complain about our coach in public please do everyone a favor and slap them. We have the torch. Enjoy the times!

Well the creator of this thread hasn't posted since the Dayton game....he threw an epic hissy fit during the game (there are some real humdingers there) and then promptly skedaddled when the game turned around.....I sincerely hop some part of him is enjoying these Rams AND not posting here may have actually improves his life, who knows?? Carrying all that negative energy around in real life is hard enough...imagine then having to take the time to post it on a friggin message board :lol::lol:

I swear...I can't even with some people....

Mistachill

Elite Member
I think the point is that just firing a coach doesn’t make u better

If u rebuild - who knows how long… if at all you will see results - the new coach may not work out at all

I get it - ppl weren’t happy how last year ended - but sometimes you’re going to lose some bad games - it happens to every coach and every team

But MR has stabilized this team, really started building a decent recruiting pipeline

We’v never had back to back players go to the nba draft

We’ve made the tournament almost 50% of the time he’s been here

I’m all for criticism when it’s due and all about holding MR accountable when he deserves it

But what was the argument for firing him? Bc we lost a few games? Bc our offense was lacking? We’ve been running the same offense for like 10 years lol

We were getting open shots in the beginning of the year - but guys were missing. I’d never seen a team miss so many point blank shots in my life… but shots are falling now

It just doesn’t seem like the criticism was based on any actual good argument for MR being a bad coach and that we’d be better off rebuilding

Anyways - good win tonight! Hope we keep it rolling
Again, I don't think anybody ever said fire him and replace him with just any random coach who happens to be available. In fact, I don't think many said fire him period. There is no argument for firing him right now. But if we miss the tournament again, he needs to be closely examined. I think folks are defending MR against positions hardly anybody ever said.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Elite Member
Again, I don't think anybody ever said fire him and replace him with just any random coach who happens to be available. In fact, I don't think many said fire him period. There is no argument for firing him right now. But if we miss the tournament again, he needs to be closely examined. I think folks are defending MR against positions hardly anybody ever said.
I def read posts of ppl in favor of firing him sooner than later.. it probably was just a few ppl - but whatever the amount it doesn’t matter - were in a thread that was created bc ppl wanted him gone

I still don’t see where the justified criticism is for him to be on the hot seat at all - even before our latest winning streak

I was defending him at the beginning of the year when I was as frustrated as everyone else

I also want to make the tournament every year - absolutely I do… and I see it as a let down and a disappointing year if we don’t..

But that is a really hard thing to do… I don’t think it’s in any programs best interest to go and rebuild every 3/4 years that you don’t make the tournament tho

Like is that the criticism? We didn’t make the tournament? And if we don’t make it this year we should look at replacing him?

Last edited: