Recruiting Jalen Deloach Commits to VCU!

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
We were talking (I think) about someone getting das boot. True, if a player wanted to transfer in after the fall semester it would open one up but that seems extremely unlikely as there would be virtually nowhere for such a transfer to land

There probably would be landing spots for someone to transfer mid-year (it happens every year with a few players). But this where I think theory breaks down that Jalen wanting to come in January means someone is on their way out. If someone was so unsatisfied already, and was voluntarily going to transfer, why would they wait until January? They could have made their announcement, started looking for a new team, or already be with that new team.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
We were talking (I think) about someone getting das boot. True, if a player wanted to transfer in after the fall semester it would open one up but that seems extremely unlikely as there would be virtually nowhere for such a transfer to land

It all starts with a current player transferring out at the end of the fall semester in order for a scholarship to be available for the spring semester. That's the only way a scholarship can open up at VCU for the upcoming spring semester. If no one transfers out, the cupboard is full and any recruit enrolling in the spring would have to pay their own way for that semester.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I wouldn’t be so sure. There are already at least 4 players in the transfer portal. For example

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
That's from August 4th, before the school year began. And he's not on UMass' roster. Sort of to my point, if you already going to transfer mid-year, why sit around and wait to make the decision?
Since school has started, AJ Taylor has left NC State and Paul Atkinson left Yale. In 2014 Antravious Simmons left VCU in December

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Since school has started, AJ Taylor has left NC State and Paul Atkinson left Yale. In 2014 Antravious Simmons left VCU in December
I'm not disputing that players transfer mid year. What I'm saying is that players who are unsatisfied and want to transfer before the season begins, dont wait until midyear to enter the transfer portal.

Reactions: N Mollen

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Has anyone considered the ncaa is allowing players an extra year then they have to accommodate high school recruits who’ve signed with a school where seniors stay for the extra year? Will teams be able to have 14, 15, 16 on the roster?

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Has anyone considered the ncaa is allowing players an extra year then they have to accommodate high school recruits who’ve signed with a school where seniors stay for the extra year? Will teams be able to have 14, 15, 16 on the roster?
Good point and interesting thought.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Seniors returning wont count against the s holly limit next year so in our case if Levi and Corey stay, we could have 15 on scholly

Article

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015

That would be for the 21-22' season, meaning that for this season, including the Spring, the limit is still 13.