Jalen DeLoach is a VCU Ram

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
From what I understand (9th hand etc) our biggest competition for Jalen was Frank Martin at South Carolina, and my biggest fear was always Crean at UGA. Getting this commit was a major, major recruiting win for the staff in a year when everything was 100X more difficult.

Without visits, without the ability to show recruits the Stu on game night or the BDC, going up vs multiple P5 power programs and famous names, this was quite an achievement.
First hand account said Frank Martin with Bruce Weber coming in third, per Jalen in the video. What is amazing is VCU has been recruiting him the least amount of time.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
From what I understand (9th hand etc) our biggest competition for Jalen was Frank Martin at South Carolina, and my biggest fear was always Crean at UGA. Getting this commit was a major, major recruiting win for the staff in a year when everything was 100X more difficult.

Without visits, without the ability to show recruits the Stu on game night or the BDC, going up vs multiple P5 power programs and famous names, this was quite an achievement.

Yeah - this was a body blow to Martin. He had a long-time relationship with Jalen. Jalen in fact lived in Columbia for a period of time. Martin was recruiting him on the basis that he had no one in the program with the size, flexability and skill-set Jalen possessed. This is a classic case of the young man getting really good advice from his family and support network in terms of selecting the best fit vs. the biggest name(P5). Obviously our coaching staff did a great job selling Jalen and his family on VCU as well.

We got a good one folks.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Talked to a few folks in the industry about Jalen....some quick quotes that stood out:

(pre-commitment) "hope the rams get em...he's fu**** good man"

“I just think he’s a perfect match with his pressing style and up and down play”

"Big time player"

"He's TOUGH"

Someone I talked to actually compared him to Hason, but like, less raw (cause Hason started hoopin later). I thought that was pretty fun to hear, because I LOVE Hason's game and his potential. Just having dudes with that type of length playing two years together is pretty exciting. Both have 7'+ wingspans too.

Based on all winter athletes receiving an extra year of eligibility, Hasan and Jalen could play together at VCU for 3 years. That extra year could prove to be a huge bonus to Hasan as he is still raw and developing.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Based on all winter athletes receiving an extra year of eligibility, Hasan and Jalen could play together at VCU for 3 years. That extra year could prove to be a huge bonus to Hasan as he is still raw and developing.
I was thinking it was just the seniors that got that as doing it for the entire roster would create an enormous mess for years to come. (I don't even agree with the extra year for seniors "IF" we have postseasons). I also think folks assume that all those seniors would be offered that by their school and that is not going to be the case since that would hurt recruiting and development in many cases.

Reactions: N Mollen

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I was thinking it was just the seniors that got that as doing it for the entire roster would create an enormous mess for years to come. (I don't even agree with the extra year for seniors "IF" we have postseasons). I also think folks assume that all those seniors would be offered that by their school and that is not going to be the case since that would hurt recruiting and development in many cases.

"Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic."

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
One interesting tid-bit gleaned from one of Jalen's interviews last night was his answer to a question about Mike asking him to help recruit another player for 2021. He said yes - coach had approached him about helping to recruit Nicholas Kern from perennial power Vashon High in St. Louis, mo. Nick, Jr. is a vastly underrated 6'6" Swingman with a very smooth game. His father Nick Kern, Sr. was a star at Vashon from 1999 to 2002 and later played in the NBA. He once dropped 30-points on Lebron. He was a 6'8" forward that could basically score from anywhere on the floor.

Draft watch(NBA) sees Nick,Jr. as being extremely underrated and projects him as a potential first round draft pick in the future. I'm sure some of that is based on DNA but impressive none the less.

St. Louis is on Nick, Jr. hard and Kansas State and DePaul, among others, have been in the picture for some time. He is a high-upside guy.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
One interesting tid-bit gleaned from one of Jalen's interviews last night was his answer to a question about Mike asking him to help recruit another player for 2021. He said yes - coach had approached him about helping to recruit Nicholas Kern from perennial power Vashon High in St. Louis, mo. Nick, Jr. is a vastly underrated 6'6" Swingman with a very smooth game. His father Nick Kern, Sr. was a star at Vashon from 1999 to 2002 and later played in the NBA. He once dropped 30-points on Lebron. He was a 6'8" forward that could basically score from anywhere on the floor.

Draft watch(NBA) sees Nick,Jr. as being extremely underrated and projects him as a potential first round draft pick in the future. I'm sure some of that is based on DNA but impressive none the less.

St. Louis is on Nick, Jr. hard and Kansas State and DePaul, among others, have been in the picture for some time. He is a high-upside guy.
Levi also attended Vashon and could be helpful in recruiting

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

There's a lot to like about the kid. They apparently don't ask him to score from outside a lot, and I have no idea whether he can. We really need shooters.

Interesting article about Kern going against power CBC and UNC-bound Caleb Love. Kern went for 33 and 12 in the win:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
There's a lot to like about the kid. They apparently don't ask him to score from outside a lot, and I have no idea whether he can. We really need shooters.

Interesting article about Kern going against power CBC and UNC-bound Caleb Love. Kern went for 33 and 12 in the win:

There's a lot to like, but I don't know if we need shooters. We needed shooters last year, but we may have enough firepower this year and next with the class of '20 additions.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
We need kids that can get to the rim score thru contact and make free throws. You know a Marcus Evens type of Alpha dog. When the outside shot is not falling I will take a couple “and ones“

Last edited:
Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
There's a lot to like, but I don't know if we need shooters. We needed shooters last year, but we may have enough firepower this year and next with the class of '20 additions.
Hope you're right. Who is a shooter on this year's squad after Bones? Lots of maybes

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
We can relax, I think:

"In an interview with Stockrisers.com that was published Sunday, DeLoach spoke of the possibility of enrolling at VCU early. It’s something he would be interested in, beginning classes in January. But it would depend on a scholarship pathway. VCU’s roster is currently full.
“I don't know if they have any scholarships left for the 2020 year that would allow him to come in in January,” Rob said. “So, if they don't, then we'll be there in May.""

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

I think Nick,Jr. is much like his teammate Cam'Ron Fletcher who is going to Kentucky. They both do the majority of their damage inside of 15 feet and attacking the rim. Both are very dangerous in transition in the open court. His(Nick) perimeter game is not bad and he is working on it hard. In that game against CBC he was 11 of 12 from the line. He apparently is a very good free-throw shooter.

If he ever approaches the level of his father's game - look out.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM