Players Jalen DeLoach is a VCU Ram

SteveMM

Elite Member
I never worry about this coaching staff's ability to reload. They always seem to do it and field a highly competitive team. Last year they were weakened by a variety of injuries but still finished top four and got an NIT bid. I realize it's not the goal around here, but it's not nothing. In fact, the only team in the last handful of years that underperformed was one where we returned not only the leading scorer but also a handful of other seniors.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I never worry about this coaching staff's ability to reload. They always seem to do it and field a highly competitive team. Last year they were weakened by a variety of injuries but still finished top four and got an NIT bid. I realize it's not the goal around here, but it's not nothing. In fact, the only team in the last handful of years that underperformed was one where we returned not only the leading scorer but also a handful of other seniors.
Top 4 ……….more accurately 2nd by one game and quite honestly would have been first given the conference schedule of the team that finished 1st, 3rd, 4th or 5th.

rammad90

Elite Member
Yeah but that team fell of the rails. Mental illness, injuries, and infighting. But your point is well taken.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Top 4 ……….more accurately 2nd by one game and quite honestly would have been first given the conference schedule of the team that finished 1st, 3rd, 4th or 5th.
I’m not on the schedule comparison “disadvantage” too much, we had the chance to take the #1 spot @SLU and had we won that, the fact we played Dayton twice would have worked in our favor.

"Share" is on point ... the term "what comes up must come down" hasn't applied to VCU hoops for the last 20 years ... consider: from last year's team, Rams have lost Stockard, Brown-Jones, Williams, Tsohonis, Curry, McAllister and Ward and, if anything, Black & Gold expectations have soared upward rather than down. If any other A-10 school lost that many talented players, it would be picked to finish last. I've never seen anything like it. Even after losing four star seniors from '11 team, Rams were just as powerful in '12, minus the extender tourney success. Lose Maynor, Sanders, Skeen, Daniels, Graham, Hyland, etc. and train just keeps on rumbling down the tracks.
I get your point and it’s valid, but there’s also a lot of addition by subtraction in the most recent departing group of players.