Jalen DeLoach is a VCU Ram

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Watched all of Jalen’s mins. My takeaways:
1. Post grad games are garbage and not much can be taken from them. Much of PG basketball is physical and skill development, but here are my thoughts.
2. He is every bit of 6-8, one of the tallest/longest players out there.
3. He moves very well and could be very good in transition
4. Made some very very good passes that his teammates didn’t capitalize on
5. Good hands inside off the pass. All of his points were dunks. 3-3 on free throws.
6. Didn’t box out once. Honestly not once. Needs to work on that. Had some rebounds tho.
7. played a lot of mins. Low intensity mins with flashes of high intensity bursts
8. Great dunker.
9. Better perimeter/iso defender than post defender
10. Glad he’s a ram.

Last edited:

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Watched all of Jalen’s mins. My takeaways:
1. Post grad games are garbage and not much can be taken from them. Much of PG basketball is physical and skill development, but here are my thoughts.
2. He is every bit of 6-8, one of the tallest/longest players out there.
3. He moves very well and could be very good in transition
4. Made some very very good passes that his teammates didn’t capitalize on
5. Good hands inside off the pass. All of his points were dunks. 3-3 on free throws.
6. Didn’t box out once. Honestly not once. Needs to work on that. Had some rebounds tho.
7. played a lot of mins. Low intensity mins with flashes of high intensity bursts
8. Great dunker.
9. Better perimeter/iso defender than post defender
10. Glad he’s a ram.
Watched most of the 2d half and I agree with this pretty much down the line. He's very fluid, including with the ball in his hands. Moves like a kid 6" smaller, but has serious length. Yes, impressive dunks, each of which *checking notes* counted for 2 points. (If you're his size and can't dunk . . . .) As you said, a couple of sweet passes -- showed advanced court vision. He mostly seemed to be focused on finding others instead of his own shots. In context, that's unusual generosity.

On the downside, as you suggested, he seemed sort of uninterested at times. Part of that was the lead, I suspect. When you are up that big and are totally outclassing the opposition, it is hard to maintain intensity. I wish I had watched the first quarter when the outcome was in some doubt.

I am absolutely thrilled about Jalen. He has so many tools.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
we
Watched most of the 2d half and I agree with this pretty much down the line. He's very fluid, including with the ball in his hands. Moves like a kid 6" smaller, but has serious length. Yes, impressive dunks, each of which *checking notes* counted for 2 points. (If you're his size and can't dunk . . . .) As you said, a couple of sweet passes -- showed advanced court vision. He mostly seemed to be focused on finding others instead of his own shots. In context, that's unusual generosity.

On the downside, as you suggested, he seemed sort of uninterested at times. Part of that was the lead, I suspect. When you are up that big and are totally outclassing the opposition, it is hard to maintain intensity. I wish I had watched the first quarter when the outcome was in some doubt.

I am absolutely thrilled about Jalen. He has so many tools.
Kind of sounds like he’s a forward with a point guard-esque pass-first mentality, which isn’t a bad thing if it comes with high basketball IQ. Seems that way here.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
The level of intensity (lack of interest) observation bothers me. None of the players in our 2020 class ever exhibited that in any of the game replays that I saw. We need guys that bring the lunch pail every game. Also, blocking out is a basic skill we need, especially with our style of play.