Jamir Watkins

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Probably trying to be very cautious especially after Jarren got hurt again.

Right now I wouldn't be too worried about this news as we still got 2 months til the first meaningful game. I'd be a little more worried if this time next month he still hasn't been cleared.

But either way, I'd rather them, be cautious & ease him back in, even if it's another Ace situation from last year (I'm hoping not), whatever is better for the long term health & success of Jamir.

Ramlove81

Elite Member

Right now I wouldn't be too worried about this news as we still got 2 months til the first meaningful game. I'd be a little more worried if this time next month he still hasn't been cleared.

But either way, I'd rather them, be cautious & ease him back in, even if it's another Ace situation from last year (I'm hoping not), whatever is better for the long term health & success of Jamir.
Absolutely, his long term health is the top priority. Guy needs to be healthy here and whenever he leaves he'll have the opportunity to make some big money playing ball. No need to risk by coming back too soon.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

Yeah, pretty much this. I have a hunch that's exactly what they're doing. Jamir will be fine.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
In that case, it's more likely now than ever that David Shriver gets the starting nod at the 3 position.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
But either way, I'd rather them, be cautious & ease him back in, whatever is better for the long term health & success of Jamir.
Bingo. He has two months, three months (if returning at the beginning of Dec), or even four months (returning at the start of the new year) if it is needed. I am sure Jamir and the medical pros will choose the correct path as needed.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
It’s been only 11 months. He looks pretty ready from his videos. I’m assuming like the rest of you this is precautionary. No need to rush him back. Kid needs to be 105% ready before stepping into live action. Hopefully no new set backs happened.

Assuming Jamir isn't ready to go night 1 a 3 guard lineup with Zeb seems more likely than Shriver starting at the 3. Maybe even Fats starting.

With that said I would be shocked if Jamir wasn't starting night one.
not a knock on Shriver but in the limited film I have watched of David S. he does not have an apparent ability to play the pace MR will play on defense - I see DS as a sub that will be looked to spreading the court with his ability to shoot it from deep as well as a potential zone buster

MR requires his defenders to play denial on the wings - David S film I saw showed a defender that doesn't deny wing passes etc and whose defensive skills are primarily an ability to stay between his man and the rim

VCU's success under MR has always been based upon our defensive chops and why MR recruits lots of Athletic players

go Rams and I expect Jamir's name to be announced with starting 5 when Manhattan visits the Stu

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
not a knock on Shriver but in the limited film I have watched of David S. he does not have an apparent ability to play the pace MR will play on defense - I see DS as a sub that will be looked to spreading the court with his ability to shoot it from deep as well as a potential zone buster

MR requires his defenders to play denial on the wings - David S film I saw showed a defender that doesn't deny wing passes etc and whose defensive skills are primarily an ability to stay between his man and the rim

VCU's success under MR has always been based upon our defensive chops and why MR recruits lots of Athletic players

go Rams and I expect Jamir's name to be announced with starting 5 when Manhattan visits the Stu
Do NOT sleep on The 'Stache!

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Assuming Jamir isn't ready to go night 1 a 3 guard lineup with Zeb seems more likely than Shriver starting at the 3. Maybe even Fats starting.

With that said I would be shocked if Jamir wasn't starting night one.

No He isn't.
The team formally begins practice in 3 and 1/2 weeks and he hasn't been cleared by the Team medical staff for contact drills. According to Mike Rhoades in previous interviews with the media, both Jamir and Jarren were scheduled to start the contract drills at the beginning of August. That means Jamir is a month behind schedule. He isn't going to be in game playing shape by early them.

Yes, both Zeb and Fatts are former top 100 players but they have a combine total of 120 minutes college playing experience between November.

Rhoades didn't draft Shriver to be a bench warmer. Shriver is a grad transfer with over 100 college games under his belt. He's been training with the team all summer including contact drills. Unless Shriver gets injured, Rhoades will go with experience and start him until Watkins is ready and shows he deserves to start.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Did y'all see his tweet yesterday that just said "adversity?" I wondered what that meant.
I saw it. I don't think it meant anything other than he has been dealing with adversity due to his ACL injury. Working hard to get right.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWV

DisplacedRam

Elite Member

No He isn't.
The team formally begins practice in 3 and 1/2 weeks and he hasn't been cleared by the Team medical staff for contact drills. According to Mike Rhoades in previous interviews with the media, both Jamir and Jarren were scheduled to start the contract drills at the beginning of August. That means Jamir is a month behind schedule. He isn't going to be in game playing shape by early them.

Yes, both Zeb and Fatts are former top 100 players but they have a combine total of 120 minutes college playing experience between November.

Rhoades didn't draft Shriver to be a bench warmer. Shriver is a grad transfer with over 100 college games under his belt. He's been training with the team all summer including contact drills. Unless Shriver gets injured, Rhoades will go with experience and start him until Watkins is ready and shows he deserves to start.
why are you always so quick to speak authoritatively on subjects that you have no insight or knowledge on