Jarren McAllister torn ACL

VCU Heel

Elite Member
VCU has now invested 4 yrs of a scholarship in Jarren with little to no “basketball ROI.” That’s enough. He should graduate May 2023 if he’s on track (which he should be).
I have no inside info, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he used this year to rehab at VCU and graduate and then moved on to another school with 2 years of eligibility left.

Jarren with little to no “basketball ROI.” That’s enough.
interesting thought here to start measuring things on a Basketball ROI -
I don't share your approach on how I evaluate an athlete

our coaches recruited Jarren and thought he could play

Jarren has from all reports lived up to his bargain of working hard in practice being a good teammate and when he was injured he put in the work to properly rehab with an appropriate attitude of a supportive teammate despite not being able to get on the court while injured

now I am probably in the VCU Heel camp thinking (without any information) Jarren may chose on his own to transfer after he graduates realizing competing against our roster after 3 major ACL injuries he is unlikely ever to see real minutes
but I am also of the mind if he wants to stay we should honor his scholarship for years 5 and 6 provided he works hard and is a supportive teammate, even if he never measures up to this mythical ROI standard you created here

go rams and good luck Jarren in your surgery and rehab (maybe Jarren will become an orthopedic doc with his additional education specializing in knee surgeries)

VCU Heel

Elite Member
interesting thought here to start measuring things on a Basketball ROI -
I don't share your approach on how I evaluate an athlete

our coaches recruited Jarren and thought he could play

Jarren has from all reports lived up to his bargain of working hard in practice being a good teammate and when he was injured he put in the work to properly rehab with an appropriate attitude of a supportive teammate despite not being able to get on the court while injured

now I am probably in the VCU Heel camp thinking (without any information) Jarren may chose on his own to transfer after he graduates realizing competing against our roster after 3 major ACL injuries he is unlikely ever to see real minutes
but I am also of the mind if he wants to stay we should honor his scholarship for years 5 and 6 provided he works hard and is a supportive teammate, even if he never measures up to this mythical ROI standard you created here

go rams and good luck Jarren in your surgery and rehab (maybe Jarren will become an orthopedic doc with his additional education specializing in knee surgeries)
This has to do with more than just Jarren’s situation, but I don’t necessarily agree that after 4 years of scholarship the coaching staff should be expected to honor a player‘s scholarship beyond that. This is a business. The coaches’ careers and the program’s immediate and longterm future have to be respected as much as what individual players want. Each scholarship is extremely valuable for the program. With the new transfer rules, coaches can’t be expected to honor scholarships if they don’t think players can contribute. And sometimes it’s better for the player for the coaches to advise him to go to another place that might align more with his skill level. The college sports world is a very different place in 2022 than it was even a few years ago.

Mistachill

Elite Member
I have a favor to ask of our armchair trainers and sports medicine doctors. Before you start blaming our medical staff would it be too much to ask that do a little research on the frequency of such injuries throughout college basketball. Some folks here operate in a vacuum and make statements about things that happen here as if it's unique to our program.

Maybe there is a problem. I don't know either way. But I think it's a little reckless insinuating a problem without at least considering if it's outside the norm national wide. Just my two cents.

Like others, I'm a little speechless to adequately express how bad I feel for this kid. I can't imagine how he must feel. Thoughts and prayers to Jarren. Don't know what else to say.

Last edited:

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
First. Terrible news for JMac. By all accounts he is a great young man. Now it gets tricky as to what to do next.

One of the first questions that the parties involved will need to answer is will or should JMac attempt to play again. Heath Houston was a no to the question of playing again. This allowed VCU to free up a scholarship and provided money for him to complete his education. He is now a successful account manager for a company in GA.

If JMac wants to continue to try and play, then VCU has to assess and determine what’s best for all parties. I am not in practice but it is hard for me to believe that after three years of not playing that JMAC will find meaningful minutes going forward. Only time will tell I guess

Finally, I guess @LQuarles and I will have to treat our JMAC debate much like trying to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop……we may never know

Major Ram 2.0

Elite Member
Does anyone here know how theses happened? We’re they in pickup games? During Strength and Conditioning? During a dunk contest? Walking to class? Was there a commonality to each of the three? We’re they all different?
I’ve never heard of such bad luck
I really feel bad for the young man. Has to be devastating on many levels.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Dang, we have guys on this team that regularly fly in the air 3 feet off the ground, and land in traffic, with lots of feet and legs to negotiate to find a place to come down. They do it at speeds I can't even imagine a human body traveling without some kind of wheels and motor. This is something I'm not sure human bodies are meant to do. I would have killed myself. Of course I am not a world class athlete and these guys are. Still, what I find amazing is that we don't have more injuries.
Yet, I am always surprised and upset when one of our athletes has an injury like this. I don't know any of these guys personally, but I know they have hopes and aspirations around playing basketball and it at least delays them being able to fulfill their dreams.
My best to Jarred. I hope he recovers fully and kills it for one last season with us.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Dang, we have guys on this team that regularly fly in the air 3 feet off the ground, and land in traffic, with lots of feet and legs to negotiate to find a place to come down. They do it at speeds I can't even imagine a human body traveling without some kind of wheels and motor. This is something I'm not sure human bodies are meant to do. I would have killed myself. Of course I am not a world class athlete and these guys are. Still, what I find amazing is that we don't have more injuries.
Yet, I am always surprised and upset when one of our athletes has an injury like this. I don't know any of these guys personally, but I know they have hopes and aspirations around playing basketball and it at least delays them being able to fulfill their dreams.
My best to Jarred. I hope he recovers fully and kills it for one last season with us.
While true, I think you’d be hard pressed to find a program with 4 ACL tears and 3 Achilles ruptures in the last 5 years.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Two players count for the lion share…
You’d find it hard to find programs with 4 players with ACL/Achilles tears in 5 years. I’m sure there are a few programs that have. We’re in the top 1% in college basketball. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but it might not be.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I wish I could find the post from a not too long ago where someone said we seemed to be lucky missing the injury bug. Definitely been making up for lost time

Mistachill

Elite Member
You’d find it hard to find programs with 4 players with ACL/Achilles tears in 5 years. I’m sure there are a few programs that have. We’re in the top 1% in college basketball. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but it might not be.
I bet you wouldn't. It's just that nobody is going to put the effort in to examine this. So these statements are more hunch and feelings based versus based on facts. And is there any difference between someone missing the season due to an ACL versus a torn rotator cuff or a broken hand?

You could be right, but unless you closely review the injury situation of all 300+ programs over the past five years this is all speculation in my opinion. It certainly "feels" like we get hit with these injuries more than others schools, but I would love to hear from someone who has real data on this.

Last edited: