Players Jayden Nunn is a VCU Ram

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
I wonder what the Nunn signing and to a lesser extent the Tsohonis signing means for going after a PG in the 2022 class. I know we have pursued Donald Hand, Jr. and Dug McDaniel as well as Sean Jones...but not sure how realistic it is to get one of them to commit knowing there are at least 2 more years of Ace and 3 of Nunn. I think the staff knows you need multiple ball handlers but they'd really have to sell running a bunch of 2 PG sets to get one of those 2022 guys. Hand may be more of a combo but Dug and Sean are pretty pure PG's.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I wonder what the Nunn signing and to a lesser extent the Tsohonis signing means for going after a PG in the 2022 class. I know we have pursued Donald Hand, Jr. and Dug McDaniel as well as Sean Jones...but not sure how realistic it is to get one of them to commit knowing there are at least 2 more years of Ace and 3 of Nunn. I think the staff knows you need multiple ball handlers but they'd really have to sell running a bunch of 2 PG sets to get one of those 2022 guys. Hand may be more of a combo but Dug and Sean are pretty pure PG's.
Assuming no one transfers or goes to the NBA after next season, I really don't think we'll be going after any additional point guards. It's hard to recruit when the kids know there will be not one but several people ahead of them on the depth chart for several years.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
To expand upon this, it is worth not that with the addition of transfers, when scholarships become available has shifted.
  • Bones - Scholly was available for 2023 Covid year 2024
  • Tre - Scholly was available for 2023 Covid year 2024
  • BMB - Scholly was available for 2022 Covid year 2023
Now with the replacements or those that took those schollys
  • Nunn - 2025 no covid year granted
  • Tsohonis - 2023 Covid year 2024
  • Nicholos - 2023 Covid year 2024
So now that I have typed it out, looks like only one material change 8-)

Also, if Vince and Curry decide to take the extra year, we won't have any scholarships available, unless someone transfers

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
To expand upon this, it is worth not that with the addition of transfers, when scholarships become available has shifted.
  • Bones - Scholly was available for 2023 Covid year 2024
  • Tre - Scholly was available for 2023 Covid year 2024
  • BMB - Scholly was available for 2022 Covid year 2023
Now with the replacements or those that took those schollys
  • Nunn - 2025 no covid year granted
  • Tsohonis - 2023 Covid year 2024
  • Nicholos - 2023 Covid year 2024
So now that I have typed it out, looks like only one material change 8-)

Also, if Vince and Curry decide to take the extra year, we won't have any scholarships available, unless someone transfers
I don’t see Vince or Curry taking an extra year. Frankly, I’m not sure the coaches would let them. They’re going to want to have at least 2 scholarships available for 2022 to keep the classes from being overloaded. There will also be a lot of young guys ready to take their minutes.

This would be our 11 man returning group in 2022-23 and their classes (ignoring the extra year of eligibility that the juniors and seniors would have available to them:
PG: Ace (Jr), Nunn (So)
SG: Tsohonis (Sr), Banks (Jr), McAllister (Sr)
SF: Watkins (Jr), Kern (So)
PF: Nichols (Sr), MBJ (Jr), Deloach (So)
C: Ward (Sr)

My guess is that we’ll have at least one more departure and will have at least 3 scholarships for 2022. One of the possibilities for a departure would be Ward declaring for the NBA. I think a big man has to be priority #1 for the 2022 recruiting class. I think SG would have to be high on our list too. Our next biggest need would depend a lot on who else might be looking to declare and whether guys like Nichols and Tsohonis would be using that fifth year. So... one SF/C, one SG, and then the best player available if there’s a third spot.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
You telling me you don’t think every player will average 10+ ppg after watching the B&G Game?
LOL...…No! This board gives me a great laugh after every B&G game. Some posters declare that [insert player's name here] as a "breakout star" or the guy who will carry us or lead us in the upcoming season. More often than not, the "star" they think they've discovered in the B&G game spends more time on the bench than actually playing in real games. You know those real games, where other teams actually game plan and play defense.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I don’t see Vince or Curry taking an extra year. Frankly, I’m not sure the coaches would let them. They’re going to want to have at least 2 scholarships available for 2022 to keep the classes from being overloaded. There will also be a lot of young guys ready to take their minutes.

This would be our 11 man returning group in 2022-23 and their classes (ignoring the extra year of eligibility that the juniors and seniors would have available to them:
PG: Ace (Jr), Nunn (So)
SG: Tsohonis (Sr), Banks (Jr), McAllister (Sr)
SF: Watkins (Jr), Kern (So)
PF: Nichols (Sr), MBJ (Jr), Deloach (So)
C: Ward (Sr)

My guess is that we’ll have at least one more departure and will have at least 3 scholarships for 2022. One of the possibilities for a departure would be Ward declaring for the NBA. I think a big man has to be priority #1 for the 2022 recruiting class. I think SG would have to be high on our list too. Our next biggest need would depend a lot on who else might be looking to declare and whether guys like Nichols and Tsohonis would be using that fifth year. So... one SF/C, one SG, and then the best player available if there’s a third spot.
I agree 100% on Curry. Vince, I am 50/50. With the amount of injuries he had, its hard to say. I don't see Ward leaving early because the things that make him an NBA prospect will not change for the worse. He won't get shorter and his wing span won't decrease. But, the staff should recruit as if he is going to leave.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I agree 100% on Curry. Vince, I am 50/50. With the amount of injuries he had, its hard to say. I don't see Ward leaving early because the things that make him an NBA prospect will not change for the worse. He won't get shorter and his wing span won't decrease. But, the staff should recruit as if he is going to leave.
I believe Vince is also young for his class, i think he was 17 or just turned 18 when he began his freshman year, he’d be the kind of guy that places like Gonzaga or Baylor have been red shirting....except in this case he got to play early.

For Ward, i fear that he will be gone next year if he has the kind of year we expect. He is already getting some first round grades and he has the physical measurables the NBA loves, plus he is blazing fast for a any position much less a big. He’ll be right at that age where they start penalizing guys for staying—frankly if he develops even a semi-reliable deep ball, he’ll check more boxes than Bones.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
LOL...…No! This board gives me a great laugh after every B&G game. Some posters declare that [insert player's name here] as a "breakout star" or the guy who will carry us or lead us in the upcoming season. More often than not, the "star" they think they've discovered in the B&G game spends more time on the bench than actually playing in real games. You know those real games, where other teams actually game plan and play defense.
I thought Jarius Lyles would play more than JeQuan Lewis after the 2013 B&G Game.

I’ll eat crow on that one. Though - Jarius had a decent college career including a special night in March 2018.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I believe Vince is also young for his class, i think he was 17 or just turned 18 when he began his freshman year, he’d be the kind of guy that places like Gonzaga or Baylor have been red shirting....except in this case he got to play early.

For Ward, i fear that he will be gone next year if he has the kind of year we expect. He is already getting some first round grades and he has the physical measurables the NBA loves, plus he is blazing fast for a any position much less a big. He’ll be right at that age where they start penalizing guys for staying—frankly if he develops even a semi-reliable deep ball, he’ll check more boxes than Bones.
I think Bones has a ceiling somewhere around Jamal Murray/Tre Young (All Star or nearly so), a mid point of Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford (very different style but reliable 18ppg), and a floor of Patty Mills/Seth Curry (solid starter/overqualified backup who can swing a playoff series), but I might still take Hason first.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I think Bones has a ceiling somewhere around Jamal Murray/Tre Young (All Star or nearly so), a mid point of Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford (very different style but reliable 18ppg), and a floor of Patty Mills/Seth Curry (solid starter/overqualified backup who can swing a playoff series), but I might still take Hason first.
I was about to respond with agree/disagree on the comps and then it dawned on me, ALL of those dudes are multi-millionaires in a playground game.....sort of put it in perspective. Bones will be Bones and just fine!

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I thought Jarius Lyles would play more than JeQuan Lewis after the 2013 B&G Game.

I’ll eat crow on that one. Though - Jarius had a decent college career including a special night in March 2018.
And I recall people raving about Reco McCarter after seeing his recruiting video and his dunking at the B&G game. Some of us just laughed and cautioned people to slow down. I have a nephew who played college football. You know what was on his highlight video coming out of high school? Only the GOOD plays he made in his high school career. I saw many of his high school games and saw some not-so-good plays. That's ok. No athlete is always perfect; they all make mistakes or bad plays. That's life, but no one ever puts the mistakes on a recruiting video.

Similarly, the B&G game should come with a warning label: "For entertainment purposes only. Performance does NOT reflect future results."

Peace all.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
And I recall people raving about Reco McCarter after seeing his recruiting video and his dunking at the B&G game. Some of us just laughed and cautioned people to slow down. I have a nephew who played college football. You know what was on his highlight video coming out of high school? Only the GOOD plays he made in his high school career. I saw many of his high school games and saw some not-so-good plays. That's ok. No athlete is always perfect; they all make mistakes or bad plays. That's life, but no one ever puts the mistakes on a recruiting video.

Similarly, the B&G game should come with a warning label: "For entertainment purposes only. Performance does NOT reflect future results."

Peace all.
Even if the Black and Gold game were more serious, one game is usually not a for sure measure of future results.