Players Jayden Nunn is a VCU Ram

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Playing behind Ace, who has three years left. :roll: :roll::roll:

Jayden Nunn very well might be better than Ace. We shall see.

While I like Ace and thought he performed admirably during his frosh campaign, his stat line (and the eye test) doesn’t overwhelm.

30 mpg
6.7 ppg
4.4 apg
37% FG
26% 3FG
2 steals per game
2.5 turnovers per game
Team Offensive Efficiency = 122
Defense = solid (no issues)
Leadership = solid (no issues)

Offensively, the team had major turnover issues and was highly/overly dependent on one kid (Bones). Of course, I would suspect/hope that changes this season as we spread the wealth (likely out of necessity).

All that said, Mike could have a potential PG conundrum on his hands come October if Nunn ends up being a legit Big 12-level talent (as originally recruited).

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
Jayden Nunn very well might be better than Ace. We shall see.

While I like Ace and thought he performed admirably during his frosh campaign, his stat line (and the eye test) doesn’t overwhelm.

30 mpg
6.7 ppg
4.4 apg
37% FG
26% 3FG
2 steals per game
2.5 turnovers per game
Team Offensive Efficiency = 122
Defense = solid (no issues)
Leadership = solid (no issues)

Offensively, the team had major turnover issues and was highly/overly dependent on one kid (Bones). Of course, I would suspect/hope that changes this season as we spread the wealth (likely out of necessity).

All that said, Mike could have a potential PG conundrum on his hands come October if Nunn ends up being a legit Big 12-level talent (as originally recruited).
Well, I don't disagree with your underlying implied conclusion that the best player should start
That said, my take on Ace's freshman year was a little different
You are right that the stat line doesn't overwhelm, but my Eye Test was he was the glue that kept the 20-21 Rams together. He played with confidence, often defended the opponents best guard capably, never seemed timid at the end of the game when it mattered, was our first look to pass point guard in quite awhile, (as an aside I would point that MRs offense is predicated on ball movement and all 5 players being able to touch the ball in our typical sets - so it has the tendency to diminish a point guards ability to build up gaudy assist #s). Ace's next level of development has to be improving his shooting line and being a little more aggressive by taking ball to the rim more (and either finish strong or dish to teammate)
I am in the camp that having competition at every position is great and will make for a better team in the long-run and serve as insurance to deal with injuries, transfers etc..
I am also skeptical about the hype around any recruit at VCU until I see them play when the games' count
go Rams

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Nov 4, 2011
Ace absolutely passed the eye test. Metrics might paint a slightly different picture, but he wins. Give me that all day. His stat line might not have been completely eye popping, but neither was Maynor's freshman year (and I'm not trying to draw a comparison because they're two different style players). I think Nunn's shot might be good enough to play off ball. Good problem to have after we lost Tre last year. A lot of points to make up for after Bones departure.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
All that said, Mike could have a potential PG conundrum on his hands come October if Nunn ends up being a legit Big 12-level talent (as originally

This is what the Maryland Terrapins 247 sports insider writer said about Ace in about an article about Jahnathan Lamothe last week

As you can see below, Maryland really wanted Ace as their starting big 10 pg.

"
6-foot-4, Lamothe continues to improve his body and become quicker and stronger. But he’s already equipped with a deadly long-range jumper that he can extend well beyond the high school three-point line. He’s an underrated playmaker and facilitator with the ball and is a pest on the defensive end in the passing lanes. Maryland was involved with a former St. Frances standout Ace Baldwin, who just finished his freshman season at VCU having a standout season averaging 6.7 points, 4.4 assists and 3.2 rebounds in 29.9 minutes per game as the starter."

"Many felt that Baldwin should’ve been wearing a Maryland jersey this season and had they not have waited so long to get involved, it would’ve been a safe bet that Baldwin would’ve committed. Lamothe is likely to stay in the top 40 of his class as time progresses.
Although Ranson has had a relationship with Lamothe since he was a child, extending an offer and making it official means more to prospects, especially ones from the Maryland and D.C. area. If Maryland wants to start keeping the talent at home, getting involved early and staying consistent will be key. Lamothe is the sort of prospect that should be prioritized"

Another thing, Rhoades told Ace to conentrate on running the team. Nothing else. Ace did exactly what coached ask him to do and we got an NCAA bid.

He is the starting pg next year, end of story.

Last edited: