Recruiting Josh Beadle deciding on Sunday

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
1) As most kids with multiple P6 offers (both close to home) do, he’ll likely “pop” for Clemson or Wake.
2) It’s not just the kid deciding.......family, friends, relatives, teammates, coaches, etc all chime in and that can weigh on a 16-17 yr old. Most opinions likely favor the most prestigious, popular school/conference.
3) We have a logjam/plethora of young perimeter kids already. The path to future perimeter playing time is unclear/muddled. This kid is, theoretically at least, supposed to be a Douglas/Stockard backfill.
4) I suspect this might actually be a Hyland “NBA draft/transfer up” insurance policy and/or a “recruit over” situation. Staff probably already knows/anticipates the 2021-22 roster possibilities (on the perimeter). I love talent accumulation but something’s gotta give. Minutes are scarce.
5) Hard to imagine this kid wanting to come in as a frosh if Clark, Hyland, JMac, Curry, Banks, Baldwin, Williams, and Watkins are all still around. That’s potentially 9 kids scrapping for 120-140 perimeter minutes a night..........the other 8 kids spread out in all 3 classes ahead of him.
6) Some interesting conversations, maneuvering, and roster construction going on behind the scenes with this one I suspect.
7) 4-stars don’t usually head downstream to an A-10 program (from the ACC) only to get caught up in a numbers game (unless there’s been discussion about likely immediate PT and/or role of choice).
After back-to-back 4-man classes plus BMB (in wait), we are loaded w/ frosh/soph. It's highly unlikely we'll be able to land a sought-after 4-star/P6-offered recruit on the heels of those two classes. There's no longer a "clear path to playing time" for new recruits.

Over the past two yrs, we had an upperclassmen-heavy roster and thus future playing time was evident/abundant for incoming prospects (like it is now for UR and other senior-laden squads). It's how/why we were able to land two large/decent (on paper) classes.

Most kids (influenced by their parents/relatives/families/friends/AAU coaches) are looking for 1) conference affiliation 2) playing time. Winning and nice crowd/fan support helps (but it's probably more of a tiebreaker). We're also fighting against 1) no football 2) average campus aesthetics/academics.

Shaka could somehow still get 'em (he's clearly a great salesman/pitchman)...........but most can't.

Reactions: Newboy
Mar 2, 2014
If we are able to land a 4 star guard, rest assured, 1 or 2 on the current roster will be transferring out before the 21-22 season.

Reactions: 2012Ram

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
We need to beat out the Clemsons of the world....a football and baseball school that happens to have a basketball program that never has and never will do anything of any significance

Jan 16, 2020
We need to beat out the Clemsons of the world....a football and baseball school that happens to have a basketball program that never has and never will do anything of any significance
Tree Rollins would not be pleased to hear that, Ramdog ...

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
In 2017 Brownell took them to the Sweet 16. I do not know much about Beadle but the one that got away to Clemson in my mind was Simms. He has was a 10 point 8 rebound guy for them last year. He was a Virginia resident. Palmyra I believe.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
After back-to-back 4-man classes plus BMB (in wait), we are loaded w/ frosh/soph. It's highly unlikely we'll be able to land a sought-after 4-star/P6-offered recruit on the heels of those two classes. There's no longer a "clear path to playing time" for new recruits.

Over the past two yrs, we had an upperclassmen-heavy roster and thus future playing time was evident/abundant for incoming prospects (like it is now for UR and other senior-laden squads). It's how/why we were able to land two large/decent (on paper) classes.

Most kids (influenced by their parents/relatives/families/friends/AAU coaches) are looking for 1) conference affiliation 2) playing time. Winning and nice crowd/fan support helps (but it's probably more of a tiebreaker). We're also fighting against 1) no football 2) average campus aesthetics/academics.

Shaka could somehow still get 'em (he's clearly a great salesman/pitchman)...........but most can't.
Average campus aesthetics? VCU's campus is pretty different from most I've seen/visited.

Reactions: ssvcu90