Recruiting Josh Beadle deciding on Sunday

Dec 16, 2013
I am not a big fan of how the campus has transformed over the past 40 years. To me the iconic attraction was the commercial corridor along West Grace Streets and West Main/ West Cary streets that ran through the campus at a one story/two story scale and gave a more humanistic feel to what was truly an urban campus. We have replaced that old commercial West Grace Street with a canyon-like feel of brick high-rise - ugh (at least to me)
West Main is half-way there too
Our incursions toward downtown across Belvedere street (while architecturally eye pleasing for the Business/Eng piece/s) have come once again at the loss of the humanistic commercial scale that existed
I do understand that growing from a campus with little on-campus housing without a lot of on-campus structured parking from the pre 80s to where the campus is today, and adding in another 10k students has required sacrifices along the way, I am one that believe those sacrifices have not all been worth the end result of what our Monroe Park Campus now looks like
But we are an URBAN university and with that comes good and bad but also great energy that many students thrive upon
go rams

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Got some real nice plywood and spray paint going for it...
I have yet to see a single VCU facility boarded up. Sure, the Broad St corridor is definitely what I'd say is part of campus and where I might point visitors, but Chipotle and Five Guys franchises ain't VCU

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I am not a big fan of how the campus has transformed over the past 40 years. To me the iconic attraction was the commercial corridor along West Grace Streets and West Main/ West Cary streets that ran through the campus at a one story/two story scale and gave a more humanistic feel to what was truly an urban campus. We have replaced that old commercial West Grace Street with a canyon-like feel of brick high-rise - ugh (at least to me)
Our incursions toward downtown across Belvedere street (while architecturally eye pleasing for the Business/Eng piece/s) have come once again at the loss of the humanistic commercial scale that existed
I do understand that growing from a campus with little on-campus housing without a lot of on-campus structured parking from the pre 80s to where the campus is today, and adding in another 10k students has required sacrifices along the way, I am one that believe those sacrifices have not all been worth the end result of what our Monroe Park Campus now looks like
But we are an URBAN university and with that comes good and bad but also great energy that many students thrive upon
go rams
I agree. Franklin's still awful pretty, tho

Reactions: share the ball

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
go rams
The Village, San Dors, The Lee Art Theatre, Don’s Hot Nuts, Sea Dream Leather, the Grace House, the Jade Elephant, The Biograph. . . I used to give a presentation along with a historian of the area to many first year classes to explain the “funky” history of Grace Street. It gave VCU a unique character which was given up as we moved into the new century. However, after visiting many urban campuses up and down the east coast I would place VCU’s environment up against any of them. Fact is VCU is not truly urban nor certainly not suburban. That is what makes it rather unique and inviting. I do agree with the inevitable move across Belvedere though.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I have yet to see a single VCU facility boarded up. Sure, the Broad St corridor is definitely what I'd say is part of campus and where I might point visitors, but Chipotle and Five Guys franchises ain't VCU
When a VCU building is right next to boarded up warzone does it really matter who actually owns what... my office is on Marshall and I walk the area every day...looks like $hiite

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
The Village, San Dors, The Lee Art Theatre, Don’s Hot Nuts, Sea Dream Leather, the Grace House, the Jade Elephant, The Biograph. . . I used to give a presentation along with a historian of the area to many first year classes to explain the “funky” history of Grace Street. It gave VCU a unique character which was given up as we moved into the new century. However, after visiting many urban campuses up and down the east coast I would place VCU’s environment up against any of them. Fact is VCU is not truly urban nor certainly not suburban. That is what makes it rather unique and inviting. I do agree with the inevitable move across Belvedere though.
Almost like we are the Virginia Commonwealth Utopian University. VCU2!

I agree 100%. We have the best of both, and the best is the people we all get to meet and know through VCU.

VCU.. Go Rams, GO!!!

May 1, 2009
The Grace Street area had to change. There were many bars and club along that strip from Shafer to Harrison. From Shafer to Laurel there was not much besides a parking lot on one side, a burger king, and another parking lot/former gas station. But with the change in drinking age, it cut out a huge market for the bars/clubs in that area. Had VCU not stepped in to buy up the properties, especially from Shafer to Harrison, I think it would have gone downhill very fast. But with VCU moving in to purchase the sticky floor Lee and the club next door, it helped prop up the area and helped to bring in businesses.....was it always the VCU police office?....if so, that probably helped also.
Losing the grocery store is unfortunate though. It means/meant that you really needed to have a functioning vehicle if you lived in the local fan area so you could go buy food. But times are different and a lot of students these days have cars whereas in the 70's/80's when I went to school, few students seemed to have cars.
As an aside, when I was in Fl with my sis recently, we went to see her daughter who lives in Gainesville. We drove through the university area and I think just about every single student there has a scooter.....very few bicycles.....but scooters galore.

Reactions: ssvcu90
Dec 2, 2012
I miss the bands at Shafer Court the most. The kids nowadays are missing out on some great acts.

Dude, the Death Piggy show that the cops stopped, because the bad and the audiance were throwing pies at each other and one cop got a little bit of pie on his hat. Man, that was amazing.

Reactions: Newboy
Mar 2, 2014
Dude, the Death Piggy show that the cops stopped, because the bad and the audiance were throwing pies at each other and one cop got a little bit of pie on his hat. Man, that was amazing.
Joey died today
He went away
Joey died bad,
And before he died he knew he was bad.