GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks so that would align with what the KP prediction and what I am reading out of the staff

Very difficult to dictate a frenetic 73-possession pace, play unselfishly/disciplined on offense (making the extra pass), and play really tough half court D as well.

1) Good hard-nosed switching man-to-man D usually leads to longer opponent possessions (hence less overall possessions).
2) Hunting high efficiency shots on offense takes time (off the clock). Less overall possessions.
3) Rarely do we dominate the defensive glass for numerous prototypical/traditional “board-outlet pass-fill the lanes-finish” fast break opportunities (i.e. quick possessions).

Unless we are a veritable turnover machine (at both ends), I see us likely playing at a more normal VCU-like 66-69 possession pace. I think, as game data is collected, the metrics will reflect this.

Reactions: PRock

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Very difficult to dictate a frenetic 73-possession pace, play unselfishly/disciplined on offense (making the extra pass), and play really tough half court D as well.

1) Good hard-nosed switching man-to-man D usually leads to longer opponent possessions (hence less overall possessions).
2) Hunting high efficiency shots on offense takes time (off the clock). Less overall possessions.
3) Rarely do we dominate the defensive glass for numerous prototypical/traditional “board-outlet pass-fill the lanes-finish” fast break opportunities (i.e. quick possessions).

Unless we are a veritable turnover machine (at both ends), I see us likely playing at a more normal VCU-like 66-69 possession pace. I think, as game data is collected, the metrics will reflect this.
I agree and realistically I think we will be around 70-71. Who we end up playing will certainly impact that as well. Points one and two will keep possessions low. There is an effort to change point three.
I do think they will increase the amount they press.(which will lead to us playing 11 players regularly). MR has stated that he wants more points in transition. For the record 66 possessions and 73 possessions come out to be a 2 sec per possession average difference.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017

Don’t disagree with what you are saying (and then kinda throw that out the window by saying) but:
2) With some better shooters, percentages go up on the outside, with more height and length inside hopefully we’ll have more than one player the defense will have to account for. A solid inside and outside may open up for slashing attacks as well.
3) hope to do better off the defensive glass with bigger bigs. if they can clear the ball faster and have more options on who they can give it to that can lead to quick points...
Just have to see how it pans out, 73/game would be tough to get.

Ahhhh, preseason optimism is a beautiful thing!

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Where are the better shooters coming from?

I'd say B between Banks, Ace and Watkins, the odds are good well improve our shooting. It's like WAR, it's not hard to beat a replacement level team, but that doesn't make you a team full of Mike Trouts.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Medley-bacon is automatic from 25 and out. His one minute of play per game will provide instant offense.

May 4, 2012
Ken has updated with a partial schedule. Has us roughly .500. Missing a number of OOC games so could dip a bit farther when its all said and done.
All in all pretty fair guess going sight unseen.