Lacrosse?

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Rams Fall to La Salle 7-5 in Physical A-10 Conference Opener
WLAX-SBS.jpg

This game was downright brutal. VCU raced off to an early lead but couldn't hold on. Refs barely had control of the game.

That picture up there is one of mine, and the recap article has a few more!

BigE

Elite Member
The reason it would be difficult to add men's lacrosse is the roster size. Typical lacrosse roster is between 40-55 athletes. Yes its a different group of kids coming to the school which is why Richmond axed its soccer program for men's lacrosse (plus the big donor). The problem for VCU would be Title IX, one of the reasons I assume they added women's lacrosse was to get the numbers closer in line in terms of student-athletes. Women's lacrosse rosters are between 28-35 roster spots, so adding more just makes it more distorted.

The other main factor is where will the teams play and practice. The soccer teams already practice off-site would probably share practice space if a men's lacrosse team was ever added.
not a problem VCU has plenty of room for growth having the least amount of programs than anyone in the A-10. In addition to the WLAX we could add WRowing; WGolf and Softball

not a problem VCU has plenty of room for growth having the least amount of programs than anyone in the A-10. In addition to the WLAX we could add WRowing; WGolf and Softball

True, right now though the Atlantic-10 doesn't offer Men's Lacrosse and Women's Golf as league sports, so the Rams would have to go out and find a conference to play in. Men's Lacrosse could try join the Southern Conference similar to Richmond. Although, if VCU added that would bring the conference to four Richmond (SoCon), UMass (CAA) & St. Joes (Northeast Conference). The A-10 would have to hope two other schools added MLAX to get a league qualifier for the NCAA tournament or could take on two partial members to help them get an AQ.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Tough outing for VCU today - UMass defeated them 18-3.

There's some photos in the article, but if you want more, you're out of luck. Just kidding, here you go. ;)

Lacrosse year pretty much went as I expected. Growing pains in a pretty tough conference. Next year might be the same but who knows. The ladies are appreciated and with experience comes growth. Keep your heads up coaches and team.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Lacrosse year pretty much went as I expected. Growing pains in a pretty tough conference. Next year might be the same but who knows. The ladies are appreciated and with experience comes growth. Keep your heads up coaches and team.

There have definitely been some glimmers of brilliance here and there this season, despite the lopsided win-loss record. I think they might be in for some real improvement next season.