Players Levi got his waiver

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Couple quick stats in regards to Levi that are very much on my radar that give me concern and that I hope he somehow breaks what has been a 3-year career pattern for him...

PER
Career-high was 8.6 as a soph
Last year was 8.4 as a junior playing more minutes

Both of those numbers are very low. Last season's 8.4 was last on K State's team. We had just one player post a lower number than that last season, Crowfield's 8.1. Our centers were 25.2 (MSS), 23.1 (Hason) and 17.7 (Corey). A sub-9 PER is just extremely low any way you slice it, particularly for a big because bigs can usually inflate that number with typically low turnover rates and high percentage scoring (Levi's turnover rate is what kills him the most).

Box +/-
-3.4 offensive +/-
-0.9 overall +/-

That overall number was second worst on the team outside of the walk-ons and that offensive +/- was the worst on K State's team. I get that they play in a tough conference, but still. On paper, we statistically added the least efficient player from the last place Big 12 team.

Just something to put on the radar. Definitely worries me a bit in terms of what we do with the rotations.
Makes me wonder sometimes about the staff’s national recruiting reach, talent evaluation skills, roster construction plan, and realistic outlook for this upcoming season.

A pedigreed program like VCU spent its last scholly on Stockard over all other options such as:

1) Top HS decommits
2) Stud D-1 transfer ups
3) Stud D-1 transfer downs
4) Top Jucos
5) Top Internationals
6) Other more accomplished Grad Transfers
7) Pocket the scholly for now (in a rebuild)

Does the staff even look at the analytics (like those presented by Natty)?

Does the staff realize that our expected win total probably goes up about 0.5 with the addition of Stockard? Worth a half-win to tie up that last scholly? Possibly forgo an available or soon-to-be available talent? Perhaps cut into the development of Hason or MBJ?

Reactions: 2012Ram
Dec 2, 2012
Makes me wonder sometimes about the staff’s national recruiting reach, talent evaluation skills, roster construction plan, and realistic outlook for this upcoming season.

A pedigreed program like VCU spent its last scholly on Stockard over all other options such as:

1) Top HS decommits
2) Stud D-1 transfer ups
3) Stud D-1 transfer downs
4) Top Jucos
5) Top Internationals
6) Other more accomplished Grad Transfers

Does the staff even look at the analytics (like those presented by Natty)?

Does the staff realize that our expected win total probably goes up about 0.5 with the addition of Stockard? Worth a half-win to tie up that last scholly? Possibly forgo an available or soon-to-be available talent? Perhaps cut into the development of Hason or MBJ?

And do what, trade it for a draft pick?

• Haha
Reactions: rskills

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
1 to 6 are using it for some one else, i really am trying to understand what option 7 is, that is my specfic question.
Holding the scholarship gives you the option of landing a half season transfer (like Curtis Jones a few years ago) or a guaranteed extra scholarship for the next class. Our class balance is terrible as is with 9 underclassmen.

Point is, you don't have to have 13 players on your team every season.

Dec 16, 2013
great for Levi - gotta think our coaches knew that Levi would be granted relief before they signed him - hope he works out for us and gives us 10-15 minutes of run (at a minimum) some toughness near the rim and an ability to shoot a face the basket 10-15 footer - We all recognized we got bullied near the rim in a few of our games by centers, forwards and guards - needs to be improved upon if we are going to climb to our regular perch of top 4 in A10.
go rams

May 1, 2009
I didn't realize he was going for a waiver. I though he was coming in as a grad transfer with one year of eligibility for which you do not need a waiver to play immediately. So, if he got a waiver, does that mean he is an undergrad transfer and will receive an undergrad degree from VCU? Does that count towards our student athlete graduation numbers?

Reactions: duncanlamb

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Mike needs to coach him up...I have to think he sees some upside ...the intangibles are fine (leadership,maturity) but those and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. We lost a double double big...he needs to produce numbers. He is Mikes pick...let’s see what he does with him.

Mar 1, 2015
Mike needs to coach him up...I have to think he sees some upside ...the intangibles are fine (leadership,maturity) but those and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. We lost a double double big...he needs to produce numbers. He is Mikes pick...let’s see what he does with him.
Played for Bruce Weber for 3 years at good program. He’s been coached and probably is who he is. VCU has a star with Bones, The Sophs and Juniors should be able to provide enough help, there’s real talent there. If this guy rebounds plays D and eats up paint that should be enough and what they need. Anything else should be gravy.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Played for Bruce Weber for 3 years at good program. He’s been coached and probably is who he is. VCU has a star with Bones, The Sophs and Juniors should be able to provide enough help, there’s real talent there. If this guy rebounds plays D and eats up paint that should be enough and what they need. Anything else should be gravy.
If he doesnt improve on 2 rebounds a game along with .03 assist he better be all world defensively...

Dec 2, 2012
Holding the scholarship gives you the option of landing a half season transfer (like Curtis Jones a few years ago) or a guaranteed extra scholarship for the next class. Our class balance is terrible as is with 9 underclassmen.

Point is, you don't have to have 13 players on your team every season.
I suppose, on the other hand not having th spot filled is a missed opportunity.

I mean, if you go out with 12 scholly guys and stink, that is a really really bad look.

As far as the "class balance", i think that has changed a lot.

You have fewer players staying 4 years in college, you have more transfers to otehr colleges even if they stay 4 years, and also Levi is he he isnt tying up a scholly for next year.

So that WAS important, but I'm not sure it is as much now.

I just don't see a benefit from putting one in your pocket.

Reactions: DisplacedRam