Top Member
May 19, 2009
my guess... Starters for SLU
G- Ace
G- Curry
F- Vince
F- Douglas
F/C- Stockard

Douglas over Ward just because of SLU's physicality.

First off bench- Ward & Watkins

Not sure who to make the primary ball handler whenever Ace needs a rest.... but I trust MR has a plan

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
my guess... Starters for SLU
G- Ace
G- Curry
F- Vince
F- Douglas
F/C- Stockard

Douglas over Ward just because of SLU's physicality.

First off bench- Ward & Watkins

Not sure who to make the primary ball handler whenever Ace needs a rest.... but I trust MR has a plan
This seems like the most likely starting lineup unless they decide Watkins should start (and I think he should). I don’t mind not starting Ward because we’re going to need a more physical lineup for SLU anyway.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Watching their Dayton game, I just think we need to keep throwing speed and people at them. They looked way out of shape, so I really think they can be worn down.
Great concept, but we are running out of people to throw. I think curry returns to the starting lineup but doesn’t play starter mins. He’s still recovering from his ankle it seems. Rhoades tends to start upper class men whenever possible

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Their rebounding strength is from the guard position. Goodwin leads then with over 9 per game. Oddly, French is playing about 20 minutes a game. Have to focus on keeping Goodwin and Perkins from crashing the boards, especially the offensive boards....if they do we have to run the ball back as hard as we can without losing the daggone thing

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Levi is a very weak rebounder and this has to change.
Understand the sentiment, but with a fourth year player I think you have to roll with what they do well and work around what they don’t with scheme, rotations and some helpful tweaks to sure ’em up a bit. If Levi can give us an efficient 12-14 pts tonite and compete on the defensive end (as he has of late), we should be pleased.

Apr 21, 2009
I'd start Ace, Jamir, Vince, Levi, Corey. Try to run a balanced offense, and value the ball more than any other game all season. I'd love scoring from all 5 starters, with Ace dishing out assists and drawing some fouls. Run a lot of pick and pop with Levi, helping to draw French out, then make them pay with backdoor cuts with some assists by Levi. Try to draw fouls from French, and foul him when he has the ball. Run a few set plays for Vince and Jamir to get them some open 3s. Bring Key/Josh/Hason in as the "6th man".
Ballhandling can be by committee, with Ace, Jamir, Vince, and Josh getting a share of bringing the ball up. Josh played PG in AAU, and if he gets some meaningful minutes, he may surprise, as long as he lets the game come to him.

Bring Ward off the bench, let him have a field day with Linnson and whatever guards who decide to drive inside. Give MBJ more than 15 minutes off the bench, and he'll do good things.

KEEP SOMEONE, ANYONE, ON GOODWIN. HECK, PUT ME IN, COACH! Now, more than ever, we can't afford to allow him to get a bunch of rebounds, and therefore give SLU a bunch of second chance opportunities. Those will kill us.

Throw a handful of defensive looks at them. Man, 2-3/matchup zone, press, etc. Quickly switch to some zone if a couple of guards get in foul trouble. Force them to shoot a bunch of jumpers, especially anyone not named Perkins, and GET THOSE REBOUNDS!

Fight Like Crazy!™
Curry takeover game coming.
He has the ability and can score and play decent defense.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
We are about to witness the true meaning of Point Forward. Ace is obviously the lead point and needs as much time as possible. Looking at the quotes from MR's presser, Vince and Jamir will also shoulder ball handling duties. I agree with Banks and MBJ as X-factors. Right now the only thing keeping Josh off the court is Josh. To this point, the game still appears to be too fast for him(he hasn't slowed it down in his mind yet) and thus he is pressing it. He needs to dive in the deep end of film study and trust what he learned in the session not what his eyes are telling during the game. MBJ...if there was every a time to have a freshman of the week type game, this would be it. His style of play matches SLU more than any other player on our roster

What I would give to have McAllister tonight! He is junk yard tough, and would be a huge addition tonight.

Reactions: TampaKAP and 80sRam

SwiftyClown

Top Member
Nov 19, 2011
Ball movement and play as a team is our best bet to keep it close. We don't have enough firepower as it is. Watkins has been getting more aggressive lately. He's my guess for next man up.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
The one thing VCU cannot afford tonight is to be intimidated by SLU's physicality. If they let SLU intimidate them, then this game is over before halftime. Both Douglas and Stockard need to play "mean" down low tonight. VCU needs to find some "bully ball" themselves tonight and take it to SLU in the paint and draw fouls. Watkins and Brown-Jones have that ability.