Loaded Battle 4 Atlantis field announced

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
So, only three P5/P6 schools have done home-and-homes that they weren’t contractually required to do over those 10 years.

It would be interesting to see how many of these series other similar programs have been able to schedule.

I‘m not sure what we can do to improve upon this... or how hard the athletic department is even trying.
problem is on VCU - Gonzaga was willing in early years to go on the road and play bigs without a return game (after that Gonzaga got P5s to return game in Seattle - semi neutral court because Zags are in Spokane
- VCU insists on home and home and as such we will very rarely see a P5 at the Stu that is willing to do a home and home with a team that has only gone beyond first round game in NCAAs , once in last 7 years
If MR can get us some success in tourney to second and third rounds then some P5s would likely do home and home
in the interim, I would love to see VCU partner with UVA and play a 4 team doubleheader at John Paul Jones arena that brings in 2 big name schools from the west coast or mid west and then the following year one of the teams in the west or mid west host a similar 4 team doubleheader (made for tv doubleheader that would get VCU more tv revenue than what it gives up in gate revenue for a home game (or net after it pays guarantees to a lower tier team to play us )

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
problem is on VCU - Gonzaga was willing in early years to go on the road and play bigs without a return game (after that Gonzaga got P5s to return game in Seattle - semi neutral court because Zags are in Spokane
- VCU insists on home and home and as such we will very rarely see a P5 at the Stu that is willing to do a home and home with a team that has only gone beyond first round game in NCAAs , once in last 7 years
If MR can get us some success in tourney to second and third rounds then some P5s would likely do home and home
in the interim, I would love to see VCU partner with UVA and play a 4 team doubleheader at John Paul Jones arena that brings in 2 big name schools from the west coast or mid west and then the following year one of the teams in the west or mid west host a similar 4 team doubleheader (made for tv doubleheader that would get VCU more tv revenue than what it gives up in gate revenue for a home game (or net after it pays guarantees to a lower tier team to play us )

VCU also needs to start winning some of these marquee P5 games in these early season tournaments. VCU's record in those tournaments is NOT good. You can't just show up to these tournaments and not knock off any of the higher ranked/seeded teams. Since the Final Four run, VCU is 10 - 16 in early season exempt tournaments.

Last edited:

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
VCU also needs to start winning some of these marquee P5 games in these early season tournaments. VCU's record in those tournaments is NOT good. You can't just show up to these tournaments and not knock off any of the higher ranked/seeded teams.
I do believe that is the intent. Would it be more beneficial to have more modest challenges to increase the likelihood of success, or is the potential reward worth the risk?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I do believe that is the intent. Would it be more beneficial to have more modest challenges to increase the likelihood of success, or is the potential reward worth the risk?

I just updated my earlier post to reflect VCU's record in early season exempt tournaments since the Final Four run. Their record is 10 - 16. Three of those wins were against mid-major schools.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
So, only three P5/P6 schools have done home-and-homes that they weren’t contractually required to do over those 10 years.

It would be interesting to see how many of these series other similar programs have been able to schedule.

I‘m not sure what we can do to improve upon this... or how hard the athletic department is even trying.
One thing to consider is that OOC scheduling has gotten more insular over the years, with the P6 schools playing each other in home-and-home or neutral-site one-offs and filling the rest of the slate with whoever they can buy to come over. The divide between the power and non-power schools is far more pronounced than it was in the 90s, when VCU got home games with Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama and Tennessee when the Rams were in the Metro (curious that three of those schools went on to hire VCU coaches). The Metro might have been a better pound-for-pound conference than the A-10, but I don't think that would have accounted for all of those games.

Apr 9, 2015
One thing to consider is that OOC scheduling has gotten more insular over the years, with the P6 schools playing each other in home-and-home or neutral-site one-offs and filling the rest of the slate with whoever they can buy to come over. The divide between the power and non-power schools is far more pronounced than it was in the 90s, when VCU got home games with Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama and Tennessee when the Rams were in the Metro (curious that three of those schools went on to hire VCU coaches). The Metro might have been a better pound-for-pound conference than the A-10, but I don't think that would have accounted for all of those games.
I may have the minority opinion that P6 schools are potentially going to reverse course schedule and play mid- majors. The pandemic caused Big10 schools only play each other. The Big10 teams were unbelievably unprepared for the supposedly inferior teams, playing styles, etc., they encountered in the tournament. (only Michigan remains). IMHO, playing mid -majors can be a benefit. Round 1 and 2 of the tournament P6 almost always play low to mid majors anyway.

Reactions: IstanbulRam

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Loyola Chicago is going to lose something like 6 of 8 players who averaged more than 10 mins a game including their star center next year. Maybe they have some stud freshman and sophomores waiting in the wings to fill the gaps but they likely will not be anywhere near as good next year.
Right now, no one knows what teams are going to look like in the 2020 - 2021 season.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
We win 3 in Atlantis or whatever, and maybe a conference foe that has a Top 25 ranking, and the rest takes care of itself.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

The Metro had a quasi blue blood program in Louisville, which helped the league's other teams in stature/scheduling. The A-10 hasn't ever had a team like Louisville as its flagship team. Also, there weren't 685 early season exempt tournaments back in the Metro days, so teams had to play more home and home series.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So not worth the risk then?

I think it is more of a hurdle than a risk. Just like making it to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Both are hurdles that VCU needs to overcome if the needle is going to be moved on the program. Since the 2011 Final Four run, VCU is 3 - 7 in the NCAA Tournament with zero Sweet Sixteen appearances. Add in their early season exempt tournament record since the Final Four run and VCU is 13 - 23 in both events. That is clearly not performing on the big stage.

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I hear ya, and I know the goal is always to win any and every game we play. It's an aspirational goal. The degree of control we have over being able to achieve that particular goal (winning) is limited, as the other team will have a directly oppositional goal to win themselves. The better the other team is, the harder it is to achieve our goal, but the bigger the reward is if we do. If our winning were more of a sure thing, then the reward would be diminished.

Edit to add: In order for successful execution against high level competition to even be on the table, there first has to be the opportunity to face high level competition. The flipside is, availing ourselves of the opportunity means risking failure in execution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
If Bones comes back we'll be getting a lot of pre-season top 25 chatter...have to come out and get wins in Atlantis or we'll immediately drop out of that discussion and will have to claw back in it. Would be nice to really come out of the gate swinging and take out some really good teams and then stay in the top 25 all year long.