Loaded Battle 4 Atlantis field announced

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
If Bones comes back we'll be getting a lot of pre-season top 25 chatter...have to come out and get wins in Atlantis or we'll immediately drop out of that discussion and will have to claw back in it. Would be nice to really come out of the gate swinging and take out some really good teams and then stay in the top 25 all year long.
Winning 2/3 in almost any order will likely garner top 25 attention, but preferably a win in the first game.

Apr 9, 2015
Winning 2/3 in almost any order will likely garner top 25 attention, but preferably a win in the first game.
We always seem to lack decent boy's to compete in these types of tournaments. We finally have a plethora of big men with different skills.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
If Bones comes back we'll be getting a lot of pre-season top 25 chatter...have to come out and get wins in Atlantis or we'll immediately drop out of that discussion and will have to claw back in it. Would be nice to really come out of the gate swinging and take out some really good teams and then stay in the top 25 all year long.
I'd love to see BMB and MBJ come out the gate and kick names and take ass.

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I think it is more of a hurdle than a risk. Just like making it to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Both are hurdles that VCU needs to overcome if the needle is going to be moved on the program. Since the 2011 Final Four run, VCU is 3 - 7 in the NCAA Tournament with zero Sweet Sixteen appearances. Add in their early season exempt tournament record since the Final Four run and VCU is 13 - 23 in both events. That is clearly not performing on the big stage.

Well, in the past, in the RPI days, playing in these tournaments with the P5 teams, it did not matter as much if you won or lost. In RPI a win was a win and a loss was a loss. You got the same SOS effect win or lose. That's what so many coaches figured out, including a couple of ours. In fact, I think the best in the country for figuring it out was Wade. I think he explained it to Shaka. You just needed to play (win or lose) as many good teams as you could and balance them with wins against mid majors. If you beat one, all the better.

Now with the NET, it is not that easy. But the flaw might have been exposed this year with Colgate. Thanks to COVID, they only played three teams and finished with a record of 11-1. They played Boston U 4 times, Army 4 times and Holy Cross 4 times, finishing 11-1. In their tournament, they played Boston U, Bucknell and Loyola Md., winning all three. Their NET ended up at 9 (yes NINE). Were they the 9th best team in the country? Far from it.

I don't think anyone has figured the NET out yet, but some these conferences might want to reconsider these big conferences with 20 conference games. Colgate proved that if you just play a few teams, you can pump your NET, no matter how bad the teams you play are. (somehow).

Reactions: DCDuck

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I hear ya, and I know the goal is always to win any and every game we play. It's an aspirational goal. The degree of control we have over being able to achieve that particular goal (winning) is limited, as the other team will have a directly oppositional goal to win themselves. The better the other team is, the harder it is to achieve our goal, but the bigger the reward is if we do. If our winning were more of a sure thing, then the reward would be diminished.

Edit to add: In order for successful execution against high level competition to even be on the table, there first has to be the opportunity to face high level competition. The flipside is, availing ourselves of the opportunity means risking failure in execution.

All I ask for is a .500 record. That puts VCU on the map.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Does anyone know anything about the hotels that are listed on the site? Have never been to the Bahama’s but do not want to miss this opportunity. Sure could use any advice that others may have. Thanks.

I stayed at Comfort Suites last time we were in this tournament. It was way cheaper than Atlantis, continental breakfast every morning, a very short walk to the games, very close to shops, bars, and restaurants, and you could buy day passes to use Atlantis pools and water slides and hang out on their property all day.

This was all pre-Covid, so I’m not sure if that perk/option still exists, but we loved this vacation last time. We have a baby now, so I’m not sure we can swing it this year, but we’re thinking about it!

We only bought VCU tickets once we got there, BUT we ended up being able to walk up before other games and buy super cheap tickets. The room where the games were played was super intimate. Every seat seems very close. I’ve heard a lot more chatter about people going this year, and I assume it’s the same for other fan bases simply because everyone wants to finally take a vacation post-Covid, so the ease/price might not be as enticing this go round.

The fun part is basically repping your team. Everyone that whole week is probably there for the games, so it’s fun to run into other fanbases. Bring enough VCU gear to wear constantly. It was fun to look for the team/coaches everywhere we went and to see the other players from other teams, too. We got lots of cool pictures with the team just hanging around the resort.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Does anyone know anything about the hotels that are listed on the site? Have never been to the Bahama’s but do not want to miss this opportunity. Sure could use any advice that others may have. Thanks.
The hotels at the Atlantis resort where the tournament is played? They'll all be pretty much top notch, easily four or five stars depending on price point. Think a range somewhere between the Jefferson, the Greenbrier, and the Four Seasons (the hotel, not the landscaping place). However, there are plenty of other hotels in Nassau with competitive price points that may suit you better depending on what sort of hotel/resort your prefer. Atlantis has adults only areas but is pretty kid friendly. It's also enormous. IIRC it's not all-inclusive, which has advantages and disadvantages. I'd recommend taking a look a Tripadvisor to see what's available. Nassau's lots of fun, definitely worth a visit at least once. Check out a public beach, pick up a bucket of Strong Back Stout, walk up to Graycliff for a tour and rum sampling, and watch some basketball.

I would say it's probably worth checking with Atlantis on their Covid-19 protocols for outside entry if you're thinking about booking somewhere else. Don't know how much you'd be looking at for game tickets, but I believe it's reasonable.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I stayed at Comfort Suites last time we were in this tournament. It was way cheaper than Atlantis, continental breakfast every morning, a very short walk to the games, very close to shops, bars, and restaurants, and you could buy day passes to use Atlantis pools and water slides and hang out on their property all day.

This was all pre-Covid, so I’m not sure if that perk/option still exists, but we loved this vacation last time. We have a baby now, so I’m not sure we can swing it this year, but we’re thinking about it!
Yeah, I should've mentioned there are plenty of hotels comparable to Atlantis but there are even more that are very nice and less pricey.

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Yeah, I should've mentioned there are plenty of hotels comparable to Atlantis but there are even more that are very nice and less pricey.

Yeah, Atlantis is nice but the rooms were just way too pricey. We ended up being able to stay a whole week at Comfort Suites for less than just a few nights at Atlantis, and we still got to use all their facilities with an armband we had to purchase, and we could also go to the games and go to nice restaurants with the money we saved for the cheaper hotel. It obviously wasn’t as luxurious, but it was the Bahamas. It was nice no matter what. We aren’t fancy people.

This was a basketball trip with a bit of tropics and good food on the side. :)

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, Atlantis is nice but the rooms were just way too pricey. We ended up being able to stay a whole week at Comfort Suites for less than just a few nights at Atlantis, and we still got to use all their facilities with an armband we had to purchase, and we could also go to the games and go to nice restaurants with the money we saved for the cheaper hotel. It obviously wasn’t as luxurious, but it was the Bahamas. It was nice no matter what. We aren’t fancy people.

This was a basketball trip with a bit of tropics and good food on the side. :)
I'm with ya. The draw for me is the Bahamas, not the resort. And VCU basketball, obviously. I've never been able to sneak away from the fam for Thanksgiving, but it's happening one year.

midloglen

Insider
May 7, 2009
I would check AirBNB and other rentals as well. I found a pretty good deal on a 2 bedroom for the family the last time I went. It's disappointing that my favorite bar The Green Parrott is gone. It was replaced by a Margaritaville where $5 drinks became water downed $8 drinks.