League Loyola-Chicago to join the A-10 in July 2022

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
The thing that makes predictions hard (and made us a bit of a risk when we went CAA>A10) is you don't know how a program will level up. Murray State has gone to the NCAAs a lot because they have won their conf tournament a lot, and their conference sucks. So far as I know, they have never received an at large -- not surprising (and not entirely their fault) given their conference, but how much of their success is due to being a big fish in a putrid pond?

I am sure that the factors motivating Bernadette and the ADs will (would) be demonstrated commitment to winning, facilities, coaching salaries etc. I have no idea where they rank in those departments or what their expectations are for the future.

I do know they have an FCS football team which would cause a complication.
They would have received an at-large in 2011-12 if they had lost their conference tournament (they finished the season #12 in the AP Poll), but other than that you're right.

FCS football isn't an issue for the A10, given that Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, Rhode Island, and Richmond all sponsor FCS football without issue (though many of those were part of the short-lived A10 football conference).

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
They would have received an at-large in 2011-12 if they had lost their conference tournament (they finished the season #12 in the AP Poll), but other than that you're right.

FCS football isn't an issue for the A10, given that Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, Rhode Island, and Richmond all sponsor FCS football without issue (though many of those were part of the short-lived A10 football conference).
the question isn't whether it would be a problem for the A10 but whether there would be a home for them elsewhere and what their football aspirations are.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I went over to the Rambler forums to say hello, welcome, and invited them to stop by Ram Nation to do the same. Be nice.
My impressions from the thread:
1. They aren’t all that excited. There’s some enthusiasm, but there a lot of “meh” to this.
2. Not a lot of mentions of VCU. Puts a little perspective on what other people around the country think of us compared to what we think about ourselves.
3. And it got me thinking about them more and other than their market/city, I’m even more “meh”
about adding them.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Why not? People screamed for Belmont and honestly Murray St has done a fantastic job in a state dominated by Louisville and UK. They have a great fanbase too. Outside of our final final they’ve had comparable success in the NCAAs.
Murray St is a good program, but I can’t really picture 14 (now 15) university & college presidents and Bernie really getting hype over adding a school from Murray, KY.

Other than SLU, they aren’t close to any other schools.

Memphis basketball is far more important to the AAC than football at this point. No way the AAC lets Memphis take their basketball program to another conference and leave football in the AAC. It's all in or all out for Memphis when it come to the AAC.
Sorry, but that's just wrong. The AAC cares about football, then football, then football again, then maybe basketball. Look at the teams they're adding. Also, Memphis's access bowl appearance in 2019 was with 4mil alone. Add in to the fact that most think about 85 to 90 percent of v the media deal is derived from football (this will be confirmed sooner or later when WSU final discloses it's payout; for reference).
Why would the AAC let them do that?
The AAC can't stop Memphis from moving it's Olympics. The only question is whether the AAC would kick out Memphis's football. Really don't think so since Memphis is one of the best non-p5 programs left and doing do probably will sort the media payout for the rest of the schools.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if LaSalle and UMASS left, adding Wichita State is a no brainer. Belmont (Nashville) a great market and another mid-west team to split into divisions. I think ultimately the A-10 will be 16 teams, who the the teams are is TBD!

Havoc City

Elite Member
1. They aren’t all that excited. There’s some enthusiasm, but there a lot of “meh” to this.
2. Not a lot of mentions of VCU. Puts a little perspective on what other people around the country think of us compared to what we think about ourselves.
3. And it got me thinking about them more and other than their market/city, I’m even more “meh”
about adding them.
I look forward to the chance of introducing ourselves and welcoming them to the a10 by curb stomping their a$$es.

#broadstreetbullies

buckwheat

Elite Member
about adding them.

People think this board has a lot of old farts? Hang out over here for a bit.

There has always been quite a few very passionate old-timers in those parts, who loved that team during the many, many bad years. But yeah, might not be too savvy with other conferences and what not. Very nice folks though.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Sorry, but that's just wrong. The AAC cares about football, then football, then football again, then maybe basketball. Look at the teams they're adding. Also, Memphis's access bowl appearance in 2019 was with 4mil alone. Add in to the fact that most think about 85 to 90 percent of v the media deal is derived from football (this will be confirmed sooner or later when WSU final discloses it's payout; for reference).

The AAC can't stop Memphis from moving it's Olympics. The only question is whether the AAC would kick out Memphis's football. Really don't think so since Memphis is one of the best non-p5 programs left and doing do probably will sort the media payout for the rest of the schools.
The AAC has a contract with Memphis. If Memphis decided to leave, then the AAC has all of the power when it comes to payout.