League Loyola-Chicago to join the A-10 in July 2022

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I have also heard that UMass will not move back to FCS. They want a D-1 football conference.
The Loyola-Chicago addition is the A10 knowing that it is coming. UMass is actively looking for a conference. Nobody will take them at this point.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
No P5 conference will even consider UMass. I’m not sure what they’re looking for, but their options aren’t going to be

I strongly doubt that. CUSA media deal is no better than the A10, then you pile increased costs on top flying ping pong teams all over the country. All downside.
CUSA basically lost its entire membership, if UMASS was not part of the backfilling now, when would they?

The university has been specifically seeking football only membership. They are reluctant to leave the A10 for the other sports. The options keep getting worse.

UMASS Football doesn’t add any value to anyone, and all sports membership in some irrelevant far flung bastardized conference hurts UMASS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...nment-leadership-backs-search--178191756/Amp/

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
No P5 conference will even consider UMass. I’m not sure what they’re looking for, but their options aren’t going to be
I do not think they are looking to go P5. They just want to get into a conference with football.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I do not think they are looking to go P5. They just want to get into a conference with football.
The Sun Belt and MAC probably don’t want them. The American is falling apart and CUSA is already crap. I guess their basketball program is already bad, so they don’t have to really worry about how that will be affected.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
The Sun Belt and MAC probably don’t want them. The American is falling apart and CUSA is already crap. I guess their basketball program is already bad, so they don’t have to really worry about how that will be affected.
Not sure what will happen but I know they are looking and do not have plans to move football back to FCS. Being independent is not something they want.

UMass does not want to move football back to FCS. They will go to another conference when it suits them.
The best option they have ever had was the MAC. They turned it down. Every year they wait, the situation gets worse for the have nots. Power and $ keeps consolidating, and UMASSs of the world are further isolated and left out. If they had an option, it would have already happened.

College sports, particularly football are not big in the north east. Backing and interest is not there. They are not as aggressive as a result.

People think this board has a lot of old farts? Hang out over here for a bit.

There has always been quite a few very passionate old-timers in those parts, who loved that team during the many, many bad years. But yeah, might not be too savvy with other conferences and what not. Very nice folks though.
I'm not through all of the comments yet, but I haven't seen mention of the fact that Loyola's addition will add a national basketball championship to the A10's resume. Can't forget Jerry Harkness (RIP) and company.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
The best option they have ever had was the MAC. They turned it down. Every year they wait, the situation gets worse for the have nots. Power and $ keeps consolidating, and UMASSs of the world are further isolated and left out. If they had an option, it would have already happened.

College sports, particularly football are not big in the north east. Backing and interest is not there. They are not as aggressive as a result.
In my opinion UMass will find a conference. Liberty is going to the C-USA next year. There are not many independents and they all are have nots except for Notre Dame. It will happen but not sure when.

Mercury

Elite Member
Certainly not an enviable spot to be in. Bad basketball and terrible football with no real solution for a fix.

I remember upon joining the A10 being excited to play UMASS. The feeling quickly wore off.

HBK

Elite Member
There are several D-1 football conferences that aren't Power 5: AAC, CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt. The UMass folks no they aren't going P-5. Being a D-1 independent is crushing their athletic department's finances.

In my opinion UMass will find a conference. Liberty is going to the C-USA next year. There are not many independents and they all are have nots except for Notre Dame. It will happen but not sure when.
UMASS plays in a 50 year old high school level facility that seats 17K, and they only half fill it. Liberty isn’t afraid to invest. There is a culture of interest down here, not up there. UMASS would be on an island thousands of miles away from the other schools. Joining CUSU wouldn’t help their bottom line. Pre Covid, UmASS football was operating at 7 a million dollar deficit. Full CUSA membership probably puts the athletic department further in the hole.

The goal is basically whoring themselves out to P5 schools for their home games to mitigate the financial drain.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
UMASS plays in a 50 year high school level facility that seats 17K, and they only have fill it. Library isn’t afraid to invest. There is a culture of interest down here, not up there. UMASS would be on an island thousands of miles away from the other schools. Joining CUSU wouldn’t help their bottom line. Pre Covid, UmASS football was operating at 7 million dollar deficit. Full CUSA membership probably buts the athletic department further in the hole.

The goal is basically whoring themselves out to P5 schools for their home games to mitigate the financial drain.
Doubt they would take a C-USA offer. Think they would go the American. We shall see but they are not going FCS.