League Loyola-Chicago to join the A-10 in July 2022

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Yes, that was my point. I'm just saying I don't think you want to crow about your 15th member and then have to say "whoops ... we're back to 14". Clearly they wouldn't actually say that, but others would. Like I said in my initial post, it's possible I'm trying to hard to read between the lines.
Think back to when VCU was added. The A10 was losing X and Temple so they added VCU and Butler. The A10 did not know that Butler would be in and out in one year. You never know how these things work out.

Beirne

Elite Member
Went to Chicago with my brother this summer for the first time. Caught a Cards/Cubs game at Wrigley, and had deep dish at Lou Malnati's. We never got a car, taking the El train the whole weekend. Great time!!!

Murray St will replace Loyola in the Valley.

I haven’t seen that definite announcement. I mean I could see the A10 adding another and they make sense. Decent NCAA showings, rabid fanbase, NBA talent developed there, good size arena that they maintain well, etc. They absolutely can compete with the top A10 schools.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Why not? People screamed for Belmont and honestly Murray St has done a fantastic job in a state dominated by Louisville and UK. They have a great fanbase too. Outside of our final final they’ve had comparable success in the NCAAs.
I’d rather add CoC than Murray St.

I’d rather add CoC than Murray St.

Sorry but I don’t see how those two are even close. Charleston has had what success? Murray St went head to head Belmont and came out on top a lot and many were yelling to add Belmont. Murray St has produced NBA talent. They have one of the most passionate mid major fan bases. They have a arena already comparable to A10 arenas. Their success is arguably as good as the top A10 schools over the last decade. Charleston has? Beautiful beaches and a nice city? They have been awful on the court.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Sorry but I don’t see how those two are even close. Charleston has had what success? Murray St went head to head Belmont and came out on top a lot and many were yelling to add Belmont. Murray St has produced NBA talent. They have one of the most passionate mid major fan bases. They have a arena already comparable to A10 arenas. Their success is arguably as good as the top A10 schools over the last decade. Charleston has? Beautiful beaches and a nice city? They have been awful on the court.
1. CoC just beat us in the Stu a few years ago.
2. They have a very nice arena. Better than most in the A10.
3. Charleston, SC is much more appealing than Murray, KY.
4. South Carolina is more within our recruiting region than Kentucky.
5. MS has only won 5 more games over the last 5 seasons and most of that difference is because CoC played fewer games last year because of Covid.
6. Pat Kelsey is a big time coach and is going to build something there. They’d be one of the top 3 teams in the A10 this year.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I’d also prefer the A10 be an east coast conference. Kinda… Atlantic.

Other than Wichita State, I have no interest in any other programs we could get off the coast.

I’d really like to get into GA/FL, but there really aren’t any options in those states.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
The thing that makes predictions hard (and made us a bit of a risk when we went CAA>A10) is you don't know how a program will level up. Murray State has gone to the NCAAs a lot because they have won their conf tournament a lot, and their conference sucks. So far as I know, they have never received an at large -- not surprising (and not entirely their fault) given their conference, but how much of their success is due to being a big fish in a putrid pond?

I am sure that the factors motivating Bernadette and the ADs will (would) be demonstrated commitment to winning, facilities, coaching salaries etc. I have no idea where they rank in those departments or what their expectations are for the future.

I do know they have an FCS football team which would cause a complication.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The thing that makes predictions hard (and made us a bit of a risk when we went CAA>A10) is you don't know how a program will level up. Murray State has gone to the NCAAs a lot because they have won their conf tournament a lot, and their conference sucks. So far as I know, they have never received an at large -- not surprising (and not entirely their fault) given their conference, but how much of their success is due to being a big fish in a putrid pond?

I am sure that the factors motivating Bernadette and the ADs will (would) be demonstrated commitment to winning, facilities, coaching salaries etc. I have no idea where they rank in those departments or what their expectations are for the future.

I do know they have an FCS football team which would cause a complication.
The reality is that it’s unlikely that either CoC or Murray State would even get a look from the A10 unless teams were leaving.

Right now, we have one spot available and no rush to fill it. Wichita State has to be our #1 goal because they’re an elite mid-major program that mostly fits the profile.

We’d take Temple, but they still have FBS ambitions. The same goes even more so for Memphis.

No one else sticks out as a guaranteed positive addition for the conference over its current makeup.