Recruiting Malik Crowfield, 2016 CG, Commits to VCU

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

Don't let his quiet, shy exterior fool you, Malik Crowfield is a deadly assassin on the court. Find him in the corner, on the elbow, around the arc, the rising junior only needs a blink of an eye to get his shot off. He went from averaging just 10 minutes his freshman year to averaging 24 minutes per game his sophomore year. [ 61 more words ]
https://www.vcuramnation.com/…/video-malik-crowfield-2017-…/

Apr 21, 2009
As long as he continues to improve each year that is to our benefit. He has become inconsistent offensively and I personally preferred to see him as a two guard and not a point guard. He needs to work hard for an open shot and take it when it is available.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
He has been one of those players who really seems to be affected by his first few shots. If they go in, he can get on a tear. If they don't, his confidence wanes and he struggles mightily. I hope that with age and experience he can learn to have confidence in his game to carry him through the rough patches. He's a good kid, and his mom is an all-time-fave ram family member

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
As long as he continues to improve each year that is to our benefit. He has become inconsistent offensively and I personally preferred to see him as a two guard and not a point guard. He needs to work hard for an open shot and take it when it is available.
Instead of inconsistent I would say hesitant. He only took about 5 shots a game. I hope he can take more shots per game this year.

Jan 1, 2010
He has been one of those players who really seems to be affected by his first few shots. If they go in, he can get on a tear. If they don't, his confidence wanes and he struggles mightily. I hope that with age and experience he can learn to have confidence in his game to carry him through the rough patches. He's a good kid, and his mom is an all-time-fave ram family member
He needs some training form Troy D....
Troy drove me nuts on occasion - would miss 6 in a row then hit his next 4. - KEEP SHOOTIN'

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Ok, I'm all OK with Malik being the next great shooter. I want to see it. I think he can do it, but he didn't really make a leaf from 1st to 2nd year. It's going to have to be a big leap before I'm a believer. At this point in my eyes he's a good 2nd off the bench. He's not shown a propensity to take a game over. Flashes for sure. I sure hopes he makes the leap into the guy that wants to assassinate the bad guys on a nightly basis. With the swagger. He has the skills. Now can he put all the pieces together? I sure hope he shows up being a 14ppg guy that gets the big buckets when they're needed. This is the guy that could make this coming squad a really special 2018 squad.

Reactions: senor ram

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
Troy Daniels didn’t exactly come in here lighting things on fire. We all know what happened after
Obviously, I’m a huge fan of Troy Daniels (look at my avatar) and you’re exactly right about this. Troy had to work extremely hard to get playing time, and it took until his junior year to see big minutes. Different scenarios all around but the point is that it takes some players until their junior year to blossom and/or capitalize on the available playing time.

If Malik can develop that “next one is going in” mindset he’ll be a killer for us. Coach Rhoades needs to get Brandon Rozzell in the BDC every day to mentor Malik since he’s in RVA during the off-season. I know Troy was in town too but I’m not sure how long. I’m sure Melvin Johnson will be around too since he’s playing in the TBT. I’d almost guarantee after a summer with Rozzell and Melvin, Malik would never see a shot he doesn’t like EVER again. The talent is there, the mindset is what needs to be unleashed. Malik definitely has the stroke to be mentioned with B.A., Shu, Rozzell, Burgess, Daniels, Melvin, JQ, etc. if he can put it all together. I’m very optimistic about Malik’s chances of being the next 3-point sniper at VCU.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Obviously, I’m a huge fan of Troy Daniels (look at my avatar) and you’re exactly right about this. Troy had to work extremely hard to get playing time, and it took until his junior year to see big minutes. Different scenarios all around but the point is that it takes some players until their junior year to blossom and/or capitalize on the available playing time.

If Malik can develop that “next one is going in” mindset he’ll be a killer for us. Coach Rhoades needs to get Brandon Rozzell in the BDC every day to mentor Malik since he’s in RVA during the off-season. I know Troy was in town too but I’m not sure how long. I’m sure Melvin Johnson will be around too since he’s playing in the TBT. I’d almost guarantee after a summer with Rozzell and Melvin, Malik would never see a shot he doesn’t like EVER again. The talent is there, the mindset is what needs to be unleashed. Malik definitely has the stroke to be mentioned with B.A., Shu, Rozzell, Burgess, Daniels, Melvin, JQ, etc. if he can put it all together. I’m very optimistic about Malik’s chances of being the next 3-point sniper at VCU.
Malik reminds me very much of a certain guard that sent us to the final 4 with his block. He can be that glue guy that makes the big plays. He's got that talent and drive. I sure hope we see a big leap into a lock to get the start every game. An afterthought for MR's lineup.

Reactions: Rams4Life
Jul 14, 2011
Malik reminds me very much of a certain guard that sent us to the final 4 with his block. He can be that glue guy that makes the big plays. He's got that talent and drive. I sure hope we see a big leap into a lock to get the start every game. An afterthought for MR's lineup.
I have a hard time comparing him to rob outside of his build. Malik is a much better shooter and relies on outside shooting where as rob was more of a slasher. Also Rob was a much better defender. That being said, I really don’t want to see Malik play PG because I think he can be an absolute sniper if we run some plays off the ball to get him some good looks.