Recruiting Marcus Evans - Game Changer

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Leaders make others better, when ME was healthy and on the floor, everyone else was a little better. I’ll invest in that guy, before i give a nickel to a guy that only invests in himself!

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Its a shame how some fans turned on ME instead of supporting and praising his toughness when he went down due to injury.

This kid was snake bit. However, he never stopped giving 100% and when he was on his game he was impressive. In fact, it was impressive that he played through all the pain last year. He gave a darn and gave his all. But for him we dont make the NCAA tourney in 2019.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
Di
Leaders make others better, when ME was healthy and on the floor, everyone else was a little better. I’ll invest in that guy, before i give a nickel to a guy that only invests in himself!
Disagree. We was a pretty talented player, and certainly gave maximum effort. I don’t think he made other players better. His aggressiveness crossed over to recklessness to often and he was never good at getting other players involved. By almost any measure VCU was as good or better offensively this past year than the previous year with Evans reduced role. Even with Evans healthy, the offense was poor. If ball hogging, turnovers, and whining about every call and bad play, and Twitter fights are leadership, I will pass.

Reactions: SwiftyClown
May 4, 2012
He clearly wanted the role but id love to know how his teammates saw it.
No question he was passionate abouthis game but as noted its questionable how he made the other 4 better.
Its a shame his college career was marred by injuries. It clearly impacted his play (shooting especially). But luck isnt always a lady.

Reactions: RamDaddio

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Di

Disagree. We was a pretty talented player, and certainly gave maximum effort. I don’t think he made other players better. His aggressiveness crossed over to recklessness to often and he was never good at getting other players involved. By almost any measure VCU was as good or better offensively this past year than the previous year with Evans reduced role. Even with Evans healthy, the offense was poor. If ball hogging, turnovers, and whining about every call and bad play, and Twitter fights are leadership, I will pass.
last year he was healthy and operated like a dawg. This year, some of your points are valid, but he was hurt since November.....in an ideal world, being hurt wouldn’t impact leadership, but we are talking about a 24 year old. I’ll take a team full of ME’s any day of the week.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Evans's strength on defense helped make the others better defensively, since he was pretty good at preventing penetration. He averaged a team-high 1.9 steals per game in 2018-19. Had 5 or more assists 9 times. Made everyone better in our last win against URI with 9 assists as well. His assists dropped dramatically last season.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Di

We were better last season? 😲

Mar 1, 2015
We were better last season? 😲
Not necessarily easy to answer. Better record for sure, but the league was in poor shape. It was an entirely different league, essentially a low major conference. The defensive numbers were great last year. And while they were a really good defensive team, holding some dreadful opponents down skews things some.

Until this years team packed it in In February, they were by every measure a better offensive team (though still not very good) and were almost always better with Evans sitting. Even if physically compromised, you would think a “leader” could have positively impacted them somehow. He didn’t. NCAA also made it a point to reduce bailing out plays flinging themselves into traffic expecting a foul, which was a big part of his game.

Again, pretty talented player. Great leader? Debatable at best.

Mar 1, 2015
Evans's strength on defense helped make the others better defensively, since he was pretty good at preventing penetration. He averaged a team-high 1.9 steals per game in 2018-19. Had 5 or more assists 9 times. Made everyone better in our last win against URI with 9 assists as well. His assists dropped dramatically last season.
His assists per 40 min this year was 4.8. Sophomore and Junior year 4.7 and 4.7. Freshman year 3.4. Not great, but certainly consistent.

Dec 2, 2012
Not necessarily easy to answer. Better record for sure, but the league was in poor shape. It was an entirely different league, essentially a low major conference. The defensive numbers were great last year. And while they were a really good defensive team, holding some dreadful opponents down skews things some.

Until this years team packed it in In February, they were by every measure a better offensive team (though still not very good) and were almost always better with Evans sitting. Even if physically compromised, you would think a “leader” could have positively impacted them somehow. He didn’t. NCAA also made it a point to reduce bailing out plays flinging themselves into traffic expecting a foul, which was a big part of his game.

I wonder if his issues contributed to the general fall off off the senior class.
If the alpha is hurt and can't play, it open up a power vacuum, things get unsettled, and things don't run smoothly

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king....a “debatable” leader likely would have had some positive impact on the rudderless crew that took the floor in Feb.

Dec 2, 2012
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king....a “debatable” leader likely would have had some positive impact on the rudderless crew that took the floor in Feb.
Also, compare the Shaka and hurt Briante system, VS MR and hurt Evans. Although I am not saying losing Bri was easy, in a way it was simpler, in that he was out of the picture for playing time, and with Evans it was a complicated mix of what Evans wanted, what MR wanted, and what was really best for the team, because he was not 100% out of the picture.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Also, compare the Shaka and hurt Briante system, VS MR and hurt Evans. Although I am not saying losing Bri was easy, in a way it was simpler, in that he was out of the picture for playing time, and with Evans it was a complicated mix of what Evans wanted, what MR wanted, and what was really best for the team, because he was not 100% out of the picture.
true—but let’s remember that team had the ultimate leader in Treveon. Not only did he lead by example in his play, my understanding is while he wasn’t always the most vocal, when he did talk he left no doubt you were either on the freight train or fixin’ to get run over by it.

Reactions: mrgeode