RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
The family doesn't dislike VCU because of MR, although they may have disagreed with some of MR game schemes. But they dislike VCU because of all the dick fans who talk about MSS like he was a stiff while at VCU. That said, the family was also pretty vocal about want MSS to play at a higher level program against higher level opponents and basically that MSS deserved better than VCU. And that hasn't set well with a number of the VCU faithful who are all full of jealousy, angst and anger.
First off they were absolutely extremely critical of MR big time on facebook. Secondly, Go read the Texas Tech Board. You're kidding yourself if you think it's just us. They are glad he is gone as well and the critics are much harsher on their board than this board so go back to the well and try again.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The family doesn't dislike VCU because of MR, although they may have disagreed with some of MR game schemes. But they dislike VCU because of all the dick fans who talk about MSS like he was a stiff while at VCU. That said, the family was also pretty vocal about want MSS to play at a higher level program against higher level opponents and basically that MSS deserved better than VCU. And that hasn't set well with a number of the VCU faithful who are all full of jealousy, angst and anger.
Recently I saw his dad say specifically that he had a problem with Rhoades.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
You're re-writing history. His uncle was bashing MR, the coaching staff and other players during the season before he left. Long before fans starting hurting their feelings. It was a big distraction. He had to go.
Yet not a single fan, not even yourself, was portraying MSS as some average player at that time. Everyone was hailing his work ethic and how great he was under the basket even against larger opponents.
It was only after he announced he was transferring that fans started dumping on him....albeit because what his family members were saying.
And I didn't rewrite anything. I said the family disagreed with some of MR gaming schemes.....the only way I would be aware of that is if they posted that.....which is why I know about it. That said, no one was b*tching about MSS and his game play....fans were praising him.
So again, I didn't rewrite anything.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Exactly but to BradRamFan, we are the ones "revising history." Makes absolutely no sense.
Read my post again.....I specifically stated that the family disagreed with some of MR gaming schemes.
And of course it is not going to make any sense to you if you do not comprehend what you are reading.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Yet not a single fan, not even yourself, was portraying MSS as some average player at that time. Everyone was hailing his work ethic and how great he was under the basket even against larger opponents.
It was only after he announced he was transferring that fans started dumping on him....albeit because what his family members were saying.
And I didn't rewrite anything. I said the family disagreed with some of MR gaming schemes.....the only way I would be aware of that is if they posted that.....which is why I know about it. That said, no one was b*tching about MSS and his game play....fans were praising him.
Yeah fans criticized his play even as they were praising him. I was one of the many doing that. There is nothing unusual about that at any program. I loved his work ethic, and loved that he had some big games, but his foul shooting, no jump shot, and his sometimes hard hands were a negative for his game. He wasn't a multi skilled, gifted player, but worked his &ss off, and the fans loved that.

The issue is, and was his family, not the vast vast majority of fans, even after he left. The comments made by his family as he was leaving, and what they continue to do are why this thread has 126 plus pages. Other players have left, and their threads haven't been this long. Why ? because they (their family) didn't say I'm/he's better than VCU (and he wasn't) or have family members continue to make asinine comments about the coaches, program, and school.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Brad, I agree we have fans that bashed the guy after his decision to leave. I dont agree that there were a majority of fans who thought he was a "stiff" while he was a Ram. I just dont buy that.

Fans at VCU loved the guy and thought he could have helped us this year. IMO that is why some were pissed that he left. As to the issue with is family, they were extremely critical of VCU and disrespectful of our program. Let's not re-write history we were this guys best choice coming out of HS and it was VCU that helped turn him/provided the opportunity to turn from a very good but out of shape shorter post player to a very good MM player/Good P5 player.

Even at his best he isnt better than Reddic, Larry, Kendrick, Ren, Mills, Stancil (sp) to name a few and VCU is known as a guard school.

I do think we at VCU should end the hate. I do appreciate his play here and wish him well. However, I do not buy the narrative the he or his family were victims of VCU fans and their opinions.

The foolishness goes both ways and their family especially the uncle is smack dab in the middle and responsible for the bad blood.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah fans criticized his play even as they were praising him. I was one of the many doing that. There is nothing unusual about that at any program. I loved his work ethic, and loved that he had some big games, but his foul shooting, no jump shot, and his sometimes hard hands were a negative for his game. He wasn't a multi skilled, gifted player, but worked his &ss off, and the fans loved that.

The issue is, and was his family, not the vast vast majority of fans, even after he left. The comments made by his family as he was leaving, and what they continue to do are why this thread has 126 plus pages. Other players have left, and their threads haven't been this long. Why ? because they (their family) didn't say I'm/he's better than VCU (and he wasn't) or have family members continue to make asinine comments about the coaches, program, and school.
85 we see it the same. The exact same. Fwiw, I was one of the first on this board to state that we should be happy for him and not trash talk him for leaving.

As to the criticism of his game, heck we criticized Larry and Ju and they were WAAAAAY better than MSS. That's what fans do. Now let's be clear the free throw shooting, lack of jump shot, and his hands were fair criticisms.

Also, we criticized Mo as well and fans love(d) that dude. The love him. Let's not forget their was a faction that applauded when Joey was about to leave (not me). Bri played led nations in steals, was one of the better guys on D, uber athlete and played in the NBA and I criticized the holes in his game repeatedly. Doesnt mean I didnt think he could ball. Doesnt mean I didnt think he was helping he team. Just meant I saw holes and I commented on them. Certainly didnt meant I was very happy he was here. Just a fan critiquing rightly or wrongly. We do it.

People criticized Kareem and IMO opinion he was the best that ever did in on the Basketball court if you are considering all levels of the game.

Reactions: RamStrut and VCU85

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
We've had a lot of players over the years that have had warts, but they're our players with warts so I don't usually point them out. Once they aren't our players anymore, I have no problem pointing out the warts. You really don't understand the team concept, do you? Please don't ever mention team chemistry again.

Once I saw the social media stuff from his uncle, I knew he had to go and I said it back when it happened. MR is a professional, a gentlemen and probably thought putting up with it was best for the team. Obviously it wasn't and he probably learned from it. A lot of other coaches likely wouldn't have handled it the same way.

And stop with the "average" bullpoop. He's average. If he's not average, what is he? Are you contending an 8 and 6 guy who has never made any all conference team related to the floor is great? Not third team, not defensive team. Nothing. To MSS's credit, he's an over-achiever. But we weren't going anywhere with him leading the way and he certainly isn't worth the baggage. 2020 and 2021 proved that.

Last edited:

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Read my post again.....I specifically stated that the family disagreed with some of MR gaming schemes.
And of course it is not going to make any sense to you if you do not comprehend what you are reading.
I comprehend it but it's not accurate. The family trashed MR and VCU on social media. It was more than a little disagreeing of schemes.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011

This. I never thought he was a great natural basketball player but yes I loved his heart and that he overachieved through his work ethic.